Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

I can see a case for the fire station eve though it’s been gutted and is a private residence. Being old isn’t enough to be historic regarding uhaul building.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bricknose wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:29 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:16 pm Image
Sweet. Get a couple beers and prepare for a show as the presenters are likely shouted down by protestations.
I wouldn’t expect this to happen now. The opposition is planning to disrupt this so I’m guessing it will be held privately elsewhere.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

At this point in time, I don’t think there are any voters left, who plan to vote in this election, who don’t have their minds made up. Any further community outreach events, door knocking, hating on each other on social media and in the media, displaying yard signs, etc are all wasted time. Whether you’re for or against, just get out and vote early or on April 2nd.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:09 pm At this point in time, I don’t think there are any voters left, who plan to vote in this election, who don’t have their minds made up. Any further community outreach events, door knocking, hating on each other on social media and in the media, displaying yard signs, etc are all wasted time. Whether you’re for or against, just get out and vote early or on April 2nd.
I think this event was more to get supporters together who are excited about the moment. It wasn’t really to change minds or influence votes.

I completely agree with you Chris.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:58 pm I can see a case for the fire station eve though it’s been gutted and is a private residence. Being old isn’t enough to be historic regarding uhaul building.
You yourself quoted 100 years as a reason in San diego..there is no reason the uhaul building can't be incorporated into this design. That's not even happening right away according to the royals themselves.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:45 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:58 pm I can see a case for the fire station eve though it’s been gutted and is a private residence. Being old isn’t enough to be historic regarding uhaul building.
You yourself quoted 100 years as a reason in San diego..there is no reason the uhaul building can't be incorporated into this design. That's not even happening right away according to the royals themselves.
You’re failing to mention the most important part of my comment about the building in SD. It was declared a historical building years before a stadium was planned. In the 1970’s as a matter of fact. The Padres didn’t have a choice but to work around or with it.

Also, it wasn’t declared historical because it was old. It was declared historical because of the business that occupied it for all those years.

I don’t see any reason to work around the Uhaul building. If they can make it work cool, but if it’s more expensive or the land can be used for more revenue generation which will help the product on the field, I’m in favor of that. It’s a fine looking building but it’s not particularly unique or a standout in my opinion.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:22 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:09 pm At this point in time, I don’t think there are any voters left, who plan to vote in this election, who don’t have their minds made up. Any further community outreach events, door knocking, hating on each other on social media and in the media, displaying yard signs, etc are all wasted time. Whether you’re for or against, just get out and vote early or on April 2nd.
I think this event was more to get supporters together who are excited about the moment. It wasn’t really to change minds or influence votes.

I completely agree with you Chris.
I would've attended the meeting if I had the afternoon off from work, but unfortunately I couldn't go. I would want to have 1-on-1 discussions with those opposed just so I can hear their rationale for voting no. When you're face-to-face with people, they tend to explain things much better than from behind a keyboard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:53 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:45 pm
You’re failing to mention the most important part of my comment about the building in SD. It was declared a historical building years before a stadium was planned. In the 1970’s as a matter of fact. The Padres didn’t have a choice but to work around or with it.

Also, it wasn’t declared historical because it was old. It was declared historical because of the business that occupied it for all those years.

I don’t see any reason to work around the Uhaul building. If they can make it work cool, but if it’s more expensive or the land can be used for more revenue generation which will help the product on the field, I’m in favor of that. It’s a fine looking building but it’s not particularly unique or a standout in my opinion.
Ok.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I disagree with this. I've given my list of requirements to vote yes. Some have been mostly/partially met, others have not. I will wait til the last minute.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

studio kansas city posted on instagram that people affiliated with the yes vote booked their space and lied about who they were and what they were doing lol
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

wahoowa wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:27 pm studio kansas city posted on instagram that people affiliated with the yes vote booked their space and lied about who they were and what they were doing lol
This process is just chaos at this point
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean did they "lie" or did they not ask? Seems they are supporting a crossroads business is good?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 pm I mean did they "lie" or did they not ask? Seems they are supporting a crossroads business is good?
Exactly. They didn’t “lie”, they rented space to film some content and the studio owner overheard what was being recorded and felt compelled to tell her 850 IG followers she didn’t know or else she wouldn’t have allowed them to rent.

Probably to prevent Jill from torching her business. ;)
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Im too young to remember the whole Sprint Center/PNL process. Was it as bad as this one?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am Im too young to remember the whole Sprint Center/PNL process. Was it as bad as this one?
Hanna Rubber Co was the only / squeakiest if memory serves. threw a fit that they were going to leave the city. They now are by BLVD lol

there wasn't really anybody there to complain so not nearly the same situation. It would have been more like if the stadium went to EV. Everybody had been expecting it (P&L) for decades
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18 am
Metro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am Im too young to remember the whole Sprint Center/PNL process. Was it as bad as this one?
Hanna Rubber Co was the only / squeakiest if memory serves. threw a fit that they were going to leave the city. They now are by BLVD lol

there wasn't really anybody there to complain so not nearly the same situation. It would have been more like if the stadium went to EV. Everybody had been expecting it (P&L) for decades
I remember there was some noise about certain buildings. For example, the President Hotel wasn't originally part of the district and there was some threat that it would be torn down. Cordish stepped up to include it into the project and it's better because of it. Opposition can make for a better end product.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 am

I remember there was some noise about certain buildings. For example, the President Hotel wasn't originally part of the district and there was some threat that it would be torn down. Cordish stepped up to include it into the project and it's better because of it. Opposition can make for a better end product.
Not if the product doesn't happen. The majority of the opposition isn't trying to make this project work; they want to kill it for ideological reasons (with disparate ideologies represented in the opposition) or a belief that Kaufman should remain the Royal's home or a complete rejection of any stadium in the greater crossroads area. Very few are holding out for improvements.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

For sure. I think that's what is being missed here by many. Bringing the stuff we're bringing up now (not the crazy people stuff) like the 1916 building, like oak, etc. makes a better product. It's been met instead with "listen to the experts and they know best" which is crazy. We're all trying to make the best version of this.

I had forgotten about the president. great example. I wish we would have pushed harder on saving a couple more buildings which I think now we'd look back at similarly to the President.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:36 am

Not if the product doesn't happen. The majority of the opposition isn't trying to make this project work; they want to kill it for ideological reasons (with disparate ideologies represented in the opposition) or a belief that Kaufman should remain the Royal's home or a complete rejection of any stadium in the greater crossroads area. Very few are holding out for improvements.
That's an overgeneralization of the viewpoints being stated honestly. yes a couple loud people are overall trying to kill it but that's not the majority
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:48 am
Highlander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:36 am
That's an overgeneralization of the viewpoints being stated honestly. yes a couple loud people are overall trying to kill it but that's not the majority
It may be an overgeneralization of people on this forum but I wasn't referring to that population. I don't think it's an overgeneralization of Kansas City voters. The organized opposition is a coalition of the groups I described and very few of them are trying to make the project a better project (the exceptions are a few people downtown and in the crossroads that have come out against the project but have kept an open mind). KC Tenants, Save Kaufman Stadium and the Show-Me Institute all oppose the project in any form at all.