T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: T-Mobile Center (formerly Sprint Center)

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:47 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 am Big 12 conference to make a big announcement today!
Extending to 2031? Star ran an article on the discussions.

By 2031, it will be time to start thinking major renovation.
Yes and bringing another sports tournament to KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great grab given the direction of the conference
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

What was the big announcement yesterday? All I saw was that there would be a 20 game conference schedule for men's bball (yawn). The extension of the contract with T-Mobile until 2031 is still unfinalized.

Side note: the women's bball conference tourney games will be moving to T-Mobile from Municpal starting this year.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kcjak wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:00 am What was the big announcement yesterday? All I saw was that there would be a 20 game conference schedule for men's bball (yawn). The extension of the contract with T-Mobile until 2031 is still unfinalized.

Side note: the women's bball conference tourney games will be moving to T-Mobile from Municpal starting this year.
The extension to 2031 is essentially finalized. I don’t think they got things signed in time to call it official. Was told this last night at a big 12 mixer they had at three light.

The women’s games being played at T-Mobile were announced several months ago.

The fact we are keeping this through 2031 is big considering the new teams to the league have some great options as well.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:07 am
kcjak wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:00 am What was the big announcement yesterday? All I saw was that there would be a 20 game conference schedule for men's bball (yawn). The extension of the contract with T-Mobile until 2031 is still unfinalized.

The extension to 2031 is essentially finalized. I don’t think they got things signed in time to call it official. Was told this last night at a big 12 mixer they had at three light.

The women’s games being played at T-Mobile were announced several months ago.

The fact we are keeping this through 2031 is big considering the new teams to the league have some great options as well.
Just officially announced that Big 12 will be here through 2031.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool, thanks for the update.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:14 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 am Big 12 conference to make a big announcement today!

To follow up on this tease from 5 months back:
Announced that the Big 12 women's Soccer Championships will be held here in KC at Current KC's new stadium.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:47 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:14 am

To follow up on this tease from 5 months back:
Announced that the Big 12 women's Soccer Championships will be held here in KC at Current KC's new stadium.
Single year or ongoing through 2031?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Basketball is ongoing, soccer is 2 years starting this year
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

As amazing as the B12 basketball tournament is—especially on years when Iowa State is good—the wrestling championships have been just as cool. So many fans and people from all over the country. The Thursday rounds were absolutely jam packed! A little less attendance yesterday as the amount of wrestlers were narrowed and Penn State locked up the championship.

Hear many out of town guests say great things about their experience so far.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:37 pm As amazing as the B12 basketball tournament is—especially on years when Iowa State is good—the wrestling championships have been just as cool. So many fans and people from all over the country. The Thursday rounds were absolutely jam packed! A little less attendance yesterday as the amount of wrestlers were narrowed and Penn State locked up the championship.

Hear many out of town guests say great things about their experience so far.
Same here. Had many conversations with fans who say they go every year to this and KC is the perfect setup for it. Crowds hung out all day and night before, between and after sessions in the live block area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Were there a lot of short guy fighting in the bars later? Seems a perfect crowd for it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:19 am Were there a lot of short guy fighting in the bars later? Seems a perfect crowd for it.
My contacts with head of security said they saw zero issues.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

City will increase annual maintenance funding to T Mobile Center per the proposed budget. Anyone have a copy of the approved one? I heard that there is a pretty sizable renovation package that will be needed by 2031.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Says posted here late April https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... budget-omb

$3.3M for TMO. I was at the Big 12 and I thought one thing they could do is carve another entrance in where that circle drive is where McGee ends. I don't think I've ever seen that drive used.

Of course I'm sure another scoreboard will be coming along with standard tech upgrades. I do think since it got relabeled Tmobile a lot of improvements have happened. Signage is better, cleaning is better, even the urinals seems to have upgraded. Food selection is still pretty meh but added a lot of booze outlets in the concourse that takes the pressure off that center bar. I could see that center court bar doing more than just the standard bev selection.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am Says posted here late April https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departme ... budget-omb

$3.3M for TMO. I was at the Big 12 and I thought one thing they could do is carve another entrance in where that circle drive is where McGee ends. I don't think I've ever seen that drive used.

Of course I'm sure another scoreboard will be coming along with standard tech upgrades. I do think since it got relabeled Tmobile a lot of improvements have happened. Signage is better, cleaning is better, even the urinals seems to have upgraded. Food selection is still pretty meh but added a lot of booze outlets in the concourse that takes the pressure off that center bar. I could see that center court bar doing more than just the standard bev selection.
Isn't the circle drive where McGee ends only like 40-50 feet away from the entrance south of the smoking area?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dunno where the smoking area is. Just seemed like a dead area something could be done there and the Grand entrance is still pretty backed up most events.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am Dunno where the smoking area is. Just seemed like a dead area something could be done there and the Grand entrance is still pretty backed up most events.
More ways into the Arena are not needed, would be expensive to build, expensive to operate and only for marginal decrease in ingress time. Grand is always going to be backed up because people see it and go, not realizing they can walk around to the other side of the building. It's usually not that much faster over there due to fewer lines.

Agree with you that they've done most of the nice upgrades right before and after T-Mobile came along. To keep it relevant, they'll mostly be focused on technology, amenity updates, restroom updates and adapting to modern concession technology. For example, by 2031 I could see most concessions being grab and go opposed to walk up.

I also think they'll need to replace all the seats by that time as well. The current ones feel dated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's the only arena I know of in the country with only two entrances. It's not a big deal but it does seem one more would help but guess not, it's been declared "not needed".

Yeah the seats need replaced.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:56 am It's the only arena I know of in the country with only two entrances. It's not a big deal but it does seem one more would help but guess not, it's been declared "not needed".

Yeah the seats need replaced.
Most arenas of this size have one or two main entrances. Don't forget the "Founders Club" entrance where all suite guests and VIP's enter.

The arena's that have more than one often have a few extra smaller entranced dedicated to things like STM only entrance, *insert* Club Level and all that jazz. I think if they were to get a major sports tenant, they'd likely utilize the doors on the south side for a additional entrance.

To give you an example, Barclays Center has two general admission or "main entrances" but have they do have 7 ways in. All the others are things like, American Express card holder entrance, Qatar VIP entrance and so on. It's also NYC and people are coming from all directions from high density areas. So not apples to apples.