Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I went ahead and voted yes today at the KC Election Board office since no-excuse early voting is open. The election judges say only a handful of folks have been coming in to vote.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:07 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 pm

I don’t think there are 6 square blocks of open contiguous land in the north loop. Are you counting the interstate? Getting that closed down is such a major jump up you can’t count that as empty land.
Central to Main, 6th to 8th. Six blocks. Two more than EC.
Are the blocks identical size, and identical to the blocks at the crossroads site?
yes
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Reading KC tenants twitter they are actually attracting a lot of mocking and ridicule in the comments of their posts and not just those with Royals or Chiefs logos in their display photos, but normal people. Almost like they are useful idiots for the yes vote in some ways as much of their content comes across as like that of nutty political extremists. I cannot imagine that resonates with an undecided.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:02 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:07 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm
Central to Main, 6th to 8th. Six blocks. Two more than EC.
Are the blocks identical size, and identical to the blocks at the crossroads site?
yes
That was a rhetorical question, the blocks are not identical
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ok, I stand corrected.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:51 pm Image

Not to mention that building on the far west of the area is condos. Good luck getting that many people to sell.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:27 pm
Metro wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:24 pm Has anyone seen polling on this location? Like I said I had saw unreleased polling that the East Village vote would have failed. Curious what this one looks like?
I haven’t seen the polling data myself but have been told they feel very positive they’ll get a winning (yes) vote right now.
Just saw the Remington Poll. Pretty surprising that it was even.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Metro wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 am
Metro wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:24 pm Has anyone seen polling on this location? Like I said I had saw unreleased polling that the East Village vote would have failed. Curious what this one looks like?
I haven’t seen the polling data myself but have been told they feel very positive they’ll get a winning (yes) vote right now.
Saw the same poll and was surprised. I have, however, also noticed a less one sided social media discussion more recently and even some of the Save the Kaufman group resigning themselves to the fact the Royal's days at Kaufman are numbered regardless of the outcome.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

It looks like the polling skewed heavily towards eastern Jackson County
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Isn't Remington polling affiliated with Jeff Roe? I expected online to lean heavily toward "No" but the poll results to me were surprising. The enthusiasm gap also seems quite large especially once the divisive Kc Tennants go involved. The Chiefs just seem not even interested in this whole thing .
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They put a $1M towards it and are dragging their stars onto TV commercials so not sure I'd say they aren't interested.
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

KC_Ari wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:37 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:51 pm Image

Not to mention that building on the far west of the area is condos. Good luck getting that many people to sell.
I'd guess Worcester (Flashcube) would be more than willing to sell for the right price, but I agree that the condo building would be near impossible. Too bad, this is probably my favorite site of all.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Metro wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 am
Not saying this is you...but yes the city doesn't revolve around the comment sections on facebook. Most people are normal and don't rage online, and they don't necessarily want to see the Chiefs/Royals leave.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

30 minute presentation from the Royals today on the economic impact. Which is estimated at $1.2 billion annually in direct and indirect impact.

Some doubling down during the Q&A portion about why Crossroads and not East Village. Something new mentioned was crossroads takes advantage of existing infrastructure that does not exist. To the hatred of KCP, Brooks Sherman also talks about this being the best site due to it's proximity to PNL and location in Crossroads.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/st ... m-proposal
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

In the Crossroads just now and it's pretty quiet with the only real foot traffic really being people in town for the Big 12 wrestling tournament. You can't tell me that the city is in a position to refuse this, it's madness bordering on selfishness.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:50 pm 30 minute presentation from the Royals today on the economic impact. Which is estimated at $1.2 billion annually in direct and indirect impact.

Some doubling down during the Q&A portion about why Crossroads and not East Village. Something new mentioned was crossroads takes advantage of existing infrastructure that does not exist. To the hatred of KCP, Brooks Sherman also talks about this being the best site due to it's proximity to PNL and location in Crossroads.

2 phases for the mixed use development. Think he said 1st will open up with the stadium.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Rusty Irish wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm In the Crossroads just now and it's pretty quiet with the only real foot traffic really being people in town for the Big 12 wrestling tournament. You can't tell me that the city is in a position to refuse this, it's madness bordering on selfishness.
I wish more people would notice this.

Anyway, that video mentions the entertainment village portion of the project will have two phases with the first phase opening with the stadium. But they still have not said what that first phase will be. That is really the only thing that bothers me. I mean the first phase could be just a 15,000 sq ft bar/restaurant while the second phase is everything else.

KC just does have a track record for delivering projects that are supposed to happen in the future. Even the P&L District which has been great for downtown has taken nearly 20 years to get to this point. Had the P&L District not built out the core of the district in the first phase, I have a feeling, it would have never been completed and the towers would have come even slower than they have.

I just want to see as much of this project as possible built in the first phase.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:50 pm 30 minute presentation from the Royals today on the economic impact. Which is estimated at $1.2 billion annually in direct and indirect impact.

no idea why I'm singled out here given I'm someone on your side of this but go off I guess. You can figure out how to pick a fight even with those on the same side as you.

Anyways, what infrastructure?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:38 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm In the Crossroads just now and it's pretty quiet with the only real foot traffic really being people in town for the Big 12 wrestling tournament. You can't tell me that the city is in a position to refuse this, it's madness bordering on selfishness.
I wish more people would notice this.
Every person ever downtown notices this BTW. I don't know why this strawman keeps being posted.