Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Westport

Post by FangKC »

Metro wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:44 am
bspecht wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:10 pm Warehouse on Broadway for sale. $2.2M, "fully built out music venue," UR zoning. https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3951-Br ... /30823842/
Would love to see something like the old Riot Room return. Lots of great acts played there & the midtown music scene is lacking.
I think they are planning on bringing back the El Torreon Ballroom as a music venue in 2025.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/live-venue-e ... k-in-2025/

I agree there are a shortage of venues for a city of our size.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:48 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40 am Update: Renovating the Warwick Theater for the Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre.

http://kcstudio.org/renovating-metropol ... e-theatre/
The Warwick Theater was damaged by fire early this morning.

https://www.kctv5.com/2024/02/07/kcfd-b ... k-theatre/
https://www.warwickkc.org/fire-recovery-fund
In the early morning hours of Feb. 7, the Warwick Theater caught fire. Nine firetrucks responded and fought the blaze for several hours containing the fire primarily to the northeast corner of the building’s interior. Damage in that area is extensive, burning all the way from the basement through the roof destroying the MET offices, the entire second-floor costume area housing the extremely valuable collection of all men’s costumes, hats, shoes—all destroyed. All women’s costumes are damaged by smoke and water.

All building doors and nearly all windows plus main floor restrooms and third-floor dressing room, the kitchen and rear lobby area. Air conditioning, electrical, kitchen, and rear lobby have been affected. The fire damaged the public restrooms, destroying the main staircase connecting the basement to the main floor, and reached through the roof to the sky.

Smoke damage continues through the theater and lobby and the loft. The basement has water damage and smoke damage. The fire was stopped before it progressed into the theater performance and Lobby. We rejoice that the beloved theater space is safe!

In addition to structural damage, the theater has sustained damage to operations and will relocate offices, and rehearsal space. New performance space is being sought to keep the season on track and all of our artists employed. Meanwhile, normal bills on the Warwick continue.

Cleanup and restoration will begin in the coming days and weeks. To add insult to injury, the theater was burglarized on the night of the fire, valuable items were stolen, and all of our tools were taken.

In the midst of all of this heartbreak, hundreds of messages are pouring in offering help. We cannot thank you enough. Help is desperately needed.

Please consider making a gift to the MET/WARWICK FIRE RECOVERY FUND to assist the theater in immediate relocation expenses, cleanup, meeting the deductible, and all the unexpected costs heartbreaking fire has caused.

To make a tax-deductible gift online please click here. Checks should be mailed to the regular address. In-kind and gifts of stock are welcome. MET is an IRS-recognized 501-c3 non-profit. 20–2576174.

We are grateful to our community and our wonderful board of directors helping us work through this hard time. Resilience and creativity are hallmarks of our company. The Warwick is injured, but she is not destroyed. The MET is strong. We will bring her back.

Thank you to our incredibly generous community who are already reaching out asking how to help. There are numerous, numerous ways to assist and we will reach out to you soon. Right now, the immediate needs are funds to keep the actors employed, move staff into temporary offices to resume operations and to cover unexpected expenses that disasters like this create.

Thank you so very much for your help and support! Thank you, Kansas City and friends around the region and the world. The Warwick is our home, and she belongs to all of us.​

Karen Paisley, Artistic Director, Brad Dawdy, Board President, the MET Team and Board of Directors
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=937 ... 8608408359
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

The building was burglarized the night of the fire? Like a serving of arson with that breaking and entering?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Dave’s Stagecoach Inn, iconic Westport dive bar, has closed after 70 years

https://www.kcur.org/arts-life/2024-02- ... r-70-years
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Always had such a diverse clientele.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

CAVA is 'temporarily' closing. Their plan is to expand their food and drink options.

Hope they do come back. I haven't been in a while, but I've always enjoyed it.

Has anything opened in the old Julep space?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GoFundMe set up for Warwick Theater

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-the-war ... e=customer
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Warwick Theater isn't my scene, really, but I'm bummed it burned. It's a cool unique addition to the streetcar route (that's not a restaurant, bar, or tax prep place).

At least one person on /r/kansascity heavily implied the fire was intentional BECAUSE of its location on the streetcar route. Oh brother.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

It was surprising how not busy Westport was for St.Patricks day. Kind of sad really
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Metro wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:21 pm It was surprising how not busy Westport was for St.Patricks day. Kind of sad really
You think? Seemed like a great vibe. Kelly's was packed and Tin Roof had a fun band up there
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:30 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:21 pm It was surprising how not busy Westport was for St.Patricks day. Kind of sad really
You think? Seemed like a great vibe. Kelly's was packed and Tin Roof had a fun band up there
What time did you go? I went to Ale House & Firefly
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Midday. I think we headed over there around 11:30, stayed until a little after 4
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:32 pm Midday. I think we headed over there around 11:30, stayed until a little after 4
I was there starting at 10 left around 5. I was mostly at Ale House did go to Beer Kitchen (which is fantastic BTW) they were pretty busy.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Oh wow Ale House shut down. That is a big blow to Westport.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think ale house is super slow on weekdays but packed weekends. The brooksider is kind of the same way
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:45 am I think ale house is super slow on weekdays but packed weekends. The brooksider is kind of the same way
Most "night life" is pretty slow in KC during the week. It seems like Westport has many more empty places than it has maybe in 15 years? Ale House, Fountain Haus, Californos which is supposedly suppose to be something else but has sat empty for 5 years, Bridgers, The place next to Tin Roof, The Whiskey Bar
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree the weekday crowds are much less than the weekends. However I think the area needs to maybe cater more to a crowd looking to eat & drink and have a good time but not "college town rager bars". Those places were fun in college and fun after college. But with the mix of eateries and retail within Westport I think they would be better to develop more of a CrossRoads and Brookside vibe. Perhaps a slightly more rowdy version of Brookside & Crossroads but not a crazy "clubbin' vibe".

Also I think some of the management of some of these places was not the strongest. Al House, Californos, Bridgers, not sure on the others but they all tried to be high end dance clubs and that just did not work. I know there are people in town who want that. But to me Westport is a distinct neighborhood first, with retail and entertainment. Should try to be more of a hip neighborhood dining & entertainment destination, less come down to and go wild area. Plus places that cater to that type of business model usually are not build to last. They try to make as much money as possible for 5-6 years and they close up shop. Looking for businesses that want to be more of the long game would be smart.

Would love to see some more live music venues back in the area.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I think that vision requires Westport getting on board with dense housing. 5-15 floor developments
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don't know if you can change the entrenched view of what Westport is. Even if you attract more social dining places, you're still going to have guys fighting in the street and others just being dumb drunks. No one wants to a nice restaurant in that atmosphere.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

End 3am licenses?