Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm am in no way going to be thrown into the "oh the traffic will be bad" team. That is the least of my concerns, couldn't care less with some short term congestion, and I do agree with Grid we have capacity on other streets, it's the using it. This is my fear in no particular order

- we have nowhere at no time in this city ever shown an ability to do traffic management and flow. How will this magically now appear?
- closing oak interrupts the urban grid. We've seen what superblocks do to neighborhoods like Westport, we need to avoid them whenever possible.
- Mouthpieces saying we shouldn't worry about this "right now" and the process 3 years from now will make it right. We've all been around long enough to see this in action and the neighborhoods left holding the bag as "it's too late" to change the plan.
- closing oak/grand/walnut will pull traffic onto Main unless we completely block it off to cars. Not "suggest" people not to use it, I've seen this not work in this city at every turn (see bollards everywhere). Transit only Main street will not happen in KC.
- If this is done poorly it will impact Royals fans who do drive into the game. Nobody wants a bad experience for people coming downtown and it won't be their fault, it will be the fault of the city and royals for not doing this right.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:33 am I’ve obvserved that there’s basically no traffic change outside of like, Main through the P&L district.
All these arguments about traffic seem really disingenuous. Very few here actually care about how it'll affect people in cars. It's about the grid and it's about the streetcar. More congestion on Main is literally the whole concern about the streetcar. Main is the only street I care about being congested.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If the Royals are going to get money from the city and state, it’s already been agreed upon. So, why won’t they release those numbers?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

- Mouthpieces saying we shouldn't worry about this "right now" and the process 3 years from now will make it right. We've all been around long enough to see this in action and the neighborhoods left holding the bag as "it's too late" to change the plan.
Yeah, it's not just a KC or MO or US or even Earth issue...

“There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams.”
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:03 am
Yeah, it's not just a KC or MO or US or even Earth issue...

“There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams.”
I enjoyed this one. Thank you tickling my sci-fi fancy.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 am If the Royals are going to get money from the city and state, it’s already been agreed upon. So, why won’t they release those numbers?
Because the exact figures haven’t been confirmed and why would a political leader take a risk if they don’t need to? Mayor Lucas and Governor Parsons know that there will be some significant pushback once they officially announce their intention to help fund these projects. They don’t need to take this step until they see if the taxpayers are willing to do the bare minimum here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:46 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:33 am I’ve obvserved that there’s basically no traffic change outside of like, Main through the P&L district.
All these arguments about traffic seem really disingenuous. Very few here actually care about how it'll affect people in cars. It's about the grid and it's about the streetcar. More congestion on Main is literally the whole concern about the streetcar. Main is the only street I care about being congested.
Too bad we didn’t build this thing for the future and with optimism that our downtown would only grow.

It’s really not that hard with proper event traffic plans. 99% of the traffic should only need to cross Main and should not need to use it for north/south travel.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:35 am
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:46 am
Too bad we didn’t build this thing for the future and with optimism that our downtown would only grow.

It’s really not that hard with proper event traffic plans. 99% of the traffic should only need to cross Main and should not need to use it for north/south travel.
If Oak and Walnut are closed permanently, it's going to cause issues at all hours, doesn't even matter if there's an event going on. Events will just make the streetcar unusable.

Also, forcing traffic to cross Main is still bad for streetcar operations. And, the idea that N/S traffic won't use Main is nonsense. It's already what people use and that's with Walnut and Oak open. Just look at the post I responded to.
The problem isn't downtown growing, the problem is closing streets.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ would they not close streets in East Village?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:13 pm ^ would they not close streets in East Village?
Dead cherry and possibly holmes but like you said plenty of capacity over there and you can push traffic other directions and you'd have Oak to send traffic down after games :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:31 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 am If the Royals are going to get money from the city and state, it’s already been agreed upon. So, why won’t they release those numbers?
Because the exact figures haven’t been confirmed and why would a political leader take a risk if they don’t need to? Mayor Lucas and Governor Parsons know that there will be some significant pushback once they officially announce their intention to help fund these projects. They don’t need to take this step until they see if the taxpayers are willing to do the bare minimum here.
I wouldn't call a 3/8 sales tax in a county to fund a pro stadium "bare minimum" especially when their city and state tax dollars will also go there it appears. Tone deaf.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:39 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:13 pm ^ would they not close streets in East Village?
Dead cherry and possibly holmes but like you said plenty of capacity over there and you can push traffic other directions and you'd have Oak to send traffic down after games :)
Also, Cherry and Holmes both dead end inside the loop and would divert approximately zero traffic to Main. Plenty of E/W capacity with Admiral thru 12th all crossing the highway. Super blocks aren't great but you can't really build a stadium without one. I don't think anyone takes issue with closing McGee and 16th.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

And see what happened in Virginia. Parsons can say one thing while the legislature can say something else. Not that Parsons has to say anything but the Royals should announce what funds and how much they are expecting to get from the City and State. Isn't the team suppose to be transparent on this issue?

BTW on another page someone has said he has inside information that the Royals will move to Nashville if the vote fails.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:02 pm

BTW on another page someone has said he has inside information that the Royals will move to Nashville if the vote fails.
Where? Link?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dnweava wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:19 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:02 pm

Where? Link?
See the Star today. Sherman essentially came out and said something to suggest the franchise could be marketed - but it was veiled. He however did not say Nashville, he said "a lot of cities would love to have these franchises" when asked about a no vote.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:31 am Because the exact figures haven’t been confirmed…
Yeah, I’m calling bullshit on this one. There is absolutely no way the Royals make the statement “if you approve this tax, we’ll stay in Jackson County without knowing that figure.
DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:31 am and why would a political leader take a risk if they don’t need to? Mayor Lucas and Governor Parsons know that there will be some significant pushback once they officially announce their intention to help fund these projects. They don’t need to take this step until they see if the taxpayers are willing to do the bare minimum here.
Because they represent US! This backroom dealing is going to kill this thing…and should. I honestly don’t know how anyone can vote for this thing. It’s totally corrupted and the only yes votes are for those in on the game or representing those in on the game. I’ve been pro-DT ballpark from the beginning. I got kicked off this board for it the last vote because I pushed it too hard. But, I can’t touch this thing without feeling dirty.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:40 pm
I wouldn't call a 3/8 sales tax in a county to fund a pro stadium "bare minimum" especially when their city and state tax dollars will also go there it appears. Tone deaf.
Tone deaf in your opinion. It's minuscule in the greater scheme of things. But that's not even what I mean by bare minimum. I mean it's the first step and should be the easiest step. Does Kansas City want a MLB team or not? Does Kansas City want a NFL team or not? That's the question on the ballot. This very reasonable tax that ALL people pay when they spend money in Jackson County, which is actually a lighter burden on Jackson Country residents compared to other forms of funding options is the walk before we run situation. If we can't get this done, why would anyone commit future funding to it?

And to clarify, because I know anything I say is always taken so literal. I don't mean these teams may leave the metro, but they will leave "Kansas City" and that'll be a god damn, mother fucking travesty. But hey..... roads right.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:17 pm I don't mean these teams may leave the metro, but they will leave "Kansas City" and that'll be a god damn, mother fucking travesty. But hey..... roads right.
Why leaving KCMO but staying in the metro area is a travesty?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Latest statement from the Crossroads Community Association:

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:33 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:17 pm I don't mean these teams may leave the metro, but they will leave "Kansas City" and that'll be a god damn, mother fucking travesty. But hey..... roads right.
Why leaving KCMO but staying in the metro area is a travesty?
Besides 50+ years of history and both teams having “Kansas City” in their official names… the loss of tax revenue. The loss of synergy with KC etc.

Shooting for gold, which is downtown baseball and ending up with suburban baseball- Travesty.

Trying to extend the life of one of the most iconic NFL stadiums in existence but ending up with some cookie cutter, modern stadium that will never achieve the same status in nfl history- travesty