Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by LCDSI »

Based off this article, it would be good to get a smaller Bloomingdales or Bloomies in Kansas City.
Bloomingdale’s, which has outperformed the Macy’s namesake stores, will soon have more shops.

The retailer plans to open about 15 new Bloomingdale’s stores over the next three years. It has not announced the specific locations, but it said some will be in new markets.
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/27/macys-w ... rcury.html
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

She doesn't write for the Star anymore and https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... stage_lead
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

mgsports wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 pm She doesn't write for the Star anymore and https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... stage_lead
I know. I still follow her because she keeps a great beat on what's happening in the KC retail scene.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Apparently the Hallmark Store on the Plaza is closing shop too (per City Scene). How many stores will be left when Highland Park takes over? If that happens.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:41 am Apparently the Hallmark Store on the Plaza is closing shop too (per City Scene). How many stores will be left when Highland Park takes over? If that happens.
Price goes down for each new vacancy. Not necessarily a bad thing if sold to a quality developer who can immediately fill space with their own stable.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I see some ppl on social media calling for the plaza to be demolished to make way for a new Royals stadium.

Really? Really!? People really don't appreciate what we have. The Plaza as a built-environment is nearly perfect. (ample parking that is all hidden away, beautiful landscaping, attractive buildings with great little details everywhere, fountains, statues, all kinds of shit they would simply never build again) It's just the management that is bad. (as well as the state of retail in general).

I hope those people are just joking.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:31 am I see some ppl on social media calling for the plaza to be demolished to make way for a new Royals stadium.

Really? Really!? People really don't appreciate what we have. The Plaza as a built-environment is nearly perfect. (ample parking that is all hidden away, beautiful landscaping, attractive buildings with great little details everywhere, fountains, statues, all kinds of shit they would simply never build again) It's just the management that is bad. (as well as the state of retail in general).

I've actually have seen this too and thought it had to be satire. I think some are just so disconnected from the urban core of the city they neither know anything about it or even care in the slightest what actually happens or goes on there. During the stadium discussion on social media, one of the more common refrains is that "I never go downtown and never will under any circumstances". And I suspect few suburbanites venture down to the Plaza any more either which is probably one of the reasons it has been experiencing financial difficulties.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:54 am
Midtownkid wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:31 am I see some ppl on social media calling for the plaza to be demolished to make way for a new Royals stadium.

I've actually have seen this too and thought it had to be satire. I think some are just so disconnected from the urban core of the city they neither know anything about it or even care in the slightest what actually happens or goes on there. During the stadium discussion on social media, one of the more common refrains is that "I never go downtown and never will under any circumstances". And I suspect few suburbanites venture down to the Plaza any more either which is probably one of the reasons it has been experiencing financial difficulties.
There's a lot of ignorant, arrogant folks in this city. The majority of them probably can't tell you what the difference is in location between the plaza, the crossroads, and downtown.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

https://www.kctv5.com/2024/02/29/two-mo ... ew-owners/

Curious why Hallmark is closing. On the bright side, with many of the recent closures, it seems to be an issue with the retailer itself vs. an issue with the Plaza (e.g., Soft Surroundings and Forever 21 went bankrupt). Not to say the Plaza isn't without loads of its own issues these days...
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

im2kull wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:57 am

There's a lot of ignorant, arrogant folks in this city. The majority of them probably can't tell you what the difference is in location between the plaza, the crossroads, and downtown.
The same ones who vote for bike activist to run their city
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Are potential new owners still buying Country Club Plaza? Here's a status report

Is the Country Club Plaza still on track for a sale to Highland Park Village's owners, as more vacancies arise throughout the acclaimed shopping center?

The answer is yes, numerous real estate sources familiar with pre-closing activities by HP Village Partners LP have said during the past month, though it is unclear precisely when the Plaza sale is targeted to close, after at least one extension past the Dallas group's initial goal of year-end 2023.

"We continue to have weekly meetings with the group," Mayor Quinton Lucas said Friday morning, "and I'm very confident that they're doing the hard work necessary to make sure not only that they're ready to purchase the Country Club Plaza, but to hit the ground running on new development opportunities and a stronger collaboration with Kansas City, with all of our communities and really building the future of the Plaza for the next generation."
Although HP Village Partners hasn't yet publicly acknowledged plans for the Plaza, it has continued engaging with local stakeholders behind the scenes. Among its efforts have been conversations with potential investors in its acquisition of the century-old retail property, including some with high-profile Kansas City ties.

Multiple people said the family partners have had discussions with representatives of the Lamar Hunt family's interests, including Kansas City Chiefs CEO and Chairman Clark Hunt. Heather Washburne and Elisa Summers are related to the Hunts as great-granddaughters of East Texas oil magnate H.L. Hunt. The investment conversation also has included VanTrust Real Estate LLC, whose headquarters is near the Plaza at 49th and Main streets.
The Plaza ended 2023 with 83.7% occupancy for 971,000 square feet of gross leasable space, up slightly from 83.3% at the end of 2022, according to Macerich's latest two annual reports. The center's vacancy will increase with impending closings of Forever 21 and Hallmark Gold Crown.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -hunt.html
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

The mention of potential redevelopment of one of the blocks, NW of Nicolos/Center, where a Starbucks used to be is interesting. I'd be curious what they could do to blend into the heart of the district.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

There's some movement on Cocina47. Some applications were made to Compass for...

Lot Line Adjustment
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d9ad5f2a4f

Condominium Plat
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... bd42db0cce

Seems like the retail tenants will actually own their spaces, unless something's changing.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:41 pm

Bike lanes aren’t ruining the city lol
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:07 am
Metro wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:41 pm

Bike lanes aren’t ruining the city lol
Same people though. Bunch is a disaster
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:36 am
Highlander wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:25 pm
earthling wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:28 am The bowl concept needs to go but even so a taller building could go there and contribute to the bowl given it's outer rim of Plaza. And the tennis courts don't need to go as they could be put on rooftop as well as indoor courts. Make it a multi-floor community complex with transit center, move Plaza library here on one or two floors, a floor for tennis, another for other various indoor sports/recreation, move nearest CVS or Walgreens to base and a coffee shop/deli. Can also move MainCor or whatever it's called now office here with a 'safe zone' that is staffed during streetcar hours (and/or KCPD foot patrol). Five to six floors would optimize this space well but adding residential element for taller wouldn't be a bad approach either with the mixed community center.
I've been a big advocate of keeping the tennis courts but I noticed there was hardly anybody there most of the summer. They are not heavily used from what I can tell. Indoor tennis is almost a completely different game with a weird feel to it as well so not sure how that would go over with casual players. The only thing I'd be concerned about with replacing the tennis courts is the poor quality crap going up elsewhere near the plaza (such as replacement for church on 47th).

As for the "bowl" concept, I don't think that's going to be easily dismissed. What would be most likely acceptable is a 3 story apartment with some retail and a tall but narrow apartment tower off to the ward parkway side so it doesn't screw up the optics of the Plaza.
Ever since it switched from KCUT/OPRC to Genesis I’ve noticed the usage plummet as well... I wonder if most of the tournaments that used to be there are now played out in OP? Would make sense as the director of tennis from 96 to 2019 switched over to OPRC.

I grew up playing on those courts and there would be a tournament there every other weekend or so. It was pretty common to see people from Iowa, Nebraska or Oklahoma trying to get their USTA points.

That ability for tennis tournaments held on the Plaza to draw in out-of-state players and their families is one thing I hope people factor into this discussion. It’s a base of people staying in nearby hotels, eating/shopping in the area and contributing to the overall ambiance of the plaza.
https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/plaz ... certainty/

Happy to see Genesis is out and the group running the regional USTA is in. Especially since they have ties to the previous leasing group. I'll look forward to seeing all the new programming & outreach efforts at the courts while the city determines what to do with this valuable piece of land.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

New Mexican place going in where Jax was.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Sounds like the Plaza deal will not close by the end of March
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That will be downtown in Loews, Not the plaza.