Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

Crossroads will never be gaslamp no matter a baseball stadium. The problem with crossroads is it's too spread thin and no focus of activity. 18th and oak is the only real example of a focus of activity.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:18 am Crossroads will never be gaslamp no matter a baseball stadium. The problem with crossroads is it's too spread thin and no focus of activity. 18th and oak is the only real example of a focus of activity.
Exactly why the crossroads as a whole can continue it’s thing and hopefully this area with the stadium can turn into a truly vibrant portion of downtown.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:18 am Crossroads will never be gaslamp no matter a baseball stadium. The problem with crossroads is it's too spread thin and no focus of activity. 18th and oak is the only real example of a focus of activity.
Another reason why I think the East Crossroads location is ultimately the best. It replaces a couple of square blocks of fairly undeveloped crossroads territory with a high draw venue allowing the Crossroads to focus in a slightly smaller but more dense area. It also removes a two square block building that is otherwise unlikely to be re-utilized or redeveloped in our lifetimes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:23 am
Another reason why I think the East Crossroads location is ultimately the best. It replaces a couple of square blocks of fairly undeveloped crossroads territory with a high draw venue allowing the Crossroads to focus in a slightly smaller but more dense area. It also removes a two square block building that is otherwise unlikely to be re-utilized or redeveloped in our lifetimes.
Don't disagree. If it was the only impact there would be zero pushback on the plan.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:30 pm I am currently on vacation in San Diego, and yesterday my family and I went down to area around Petco Park. We were in the Gaslamp Quarter and there were shops and activity everywhere. This area is adjacent to Petco Park, and spanned multiple blocks in all directions. The stadium had some small structured parking on one side, and was being used for a convention that was in town. There was not a proliferation of surface parking around the stadium. We walked around, ate lunch, shopped, and hit Petco park, and there was not one block without some level of activity.

While it wasn’t baseball season, there was stadium related activity as the stadium was offering tours, I’d guess there were 40 people waiting outside for their time slot. Some of the restaurants were clearly catering to Padres related traffic, but it wasn’t just a bunch of sports bars.

Petco Park was not perfect. There was one side that was mostly blank, and the office part of the building was kind of foreboding. But you could see on the northern side how it dumped people into the active Gaslamp Quarter. The southern side abuts railroad tracks, and the cities light rail/streetcar.

The one thing that stood out was how consistently active the whole area was. We were there on a Sunday afternoon for about 4 hours and there were people everywhere, probably 1 in 8 was wearing a convention lanyard, but the rest just looked like regular traffic. Shops and restaurants everywhere.

It is really mind-boggling to me that we have downtown interests actively fighting against the stadium. We should be doing anything in our power to bring more people downtown. Our downtown doesn’t even compare to San Diego, its skyline is growing (and about twice the size of KC) with multiple skyscrapers going up currently. And here we are with downtown interests fighting against a project that will bring millions of people a year downtown. Yes there are some great buildings in footprint, yes there are a handful of active businesses - but the level of activity in this part of the Crossroads absolutely pales in comparison to what I’ve seen. We’ve genuinely lost the plot.

KCDowntown
Cool to see what's going on in San Diego. Look at Nashville's skyline from 2015 to 2024 - just incredible the transformation there. Meanwhile, people in KC freak out about where they can park.

https://x.com/ClayTravis/status/1760741 ... 70181?s=20

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That building on the right went up in 2010. That was the first new tower in Nashville in decades. Then over the next 15 years the skyline has nearly tripled in size. Insane.

We all know about Denver, Charlotte, Austin etc. I have a feeling the next city to boom will be Salt Lake City and possibly even OKC.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

What if the new Royals stadium included a large art gallery that faced Grand? It could be programmed and open all year. Some of the art could be sports related, but I think it would be cool to be more diverse than that.

Why not create a space for Green Dirt and maybe some of the other displaced businesses?

Does the Crossroads still offer tax breaks to art-related businesses? That was one of the truly unique aspects of the district.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:33 pm Does the Crossroads still offer tax breaks to art-related businesses? That was one of the truly unique aspects of the district.
Yes
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So many good ideas that could be done. Will the royals do any of them
Remember the talk on here was active every day not just game days
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Why don’t they just buy everything to the east up to Charlotte and offer up space over there for displaced businesses. Would be doing everyone a favor.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:13 pm Lol go find the spaceship. You missed the early years. That's where we are now

Someone must have the original rendering of Sprint center? I'm avoiding saying who we went against to not draw this off.
https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/no-shortage ... CjKz6zUjDn

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Honestly, that would’ve aged terribly.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:10 pm So many good ideas that could be done. Will the royals do any of them
Remember the talk on here was active every day not just game days
I don't think it would matter to 90% of those that are against it. I think they are just using "save the crossroads" as low hanging fruit where they can easily mislead people since most don't know the exact footprint of the stadium etc.

I also think many of the crossroads loudest supporters are kind of acting like they own the entire area and are the only ones that have a say in the future of the district. They are trying to keep a huge part of downtown KC a scrappy, barley developed and cheap area. I really hope people have more vision than that. I love the Crossroads Area, but it still needs a ton of infill development.

I hope the Royals reach out and do more and it may sway people that are taking this project seriously and are open minded. But the anti stadium people are running with the "save the crossroads" campaign regardless of what the Royals do IMO.

Either way, I'm starting to see a "little" pushback on the anti downtown stadium crown from people which is nice to see.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:17 pm Honestly, that would’ve aged terribly.
That rendering was never remotely realistic. Look at the seating bowl, no access upper sections from the concourse, I guess everybody just entered from the bottom and walked up to the top.

I think T-Mobile looks great still today. They do need to redo the plaza out front though.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Team mouthpiece Fescoe harping on tonight that the CBA will be transformational and unseen!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Unseen? Like never seen before!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

How ironic that even if the stadium doesn't get built in the Xroads there will still be continued development in the area like freeway cap and additional population from 18th/Vine, Parade Park, 4L, Midland, Calvert's Lot, etc. that will eventually price many of those businesses out of the East Crossroads. For the artists, in particular, they're going to face an infinite number of transitions from neighborhood to neighborhood until there are some concrete plans for a long-term artist district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think in a month we are going to see a lot more positives and yes vote in hand
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kcjak wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:27 am How ironic that even if the stadium doesn't get built in the Xroads there will still be continued development in the area like freeway cap and additional population from 18th/Vine, Parade Park, 4L, Midland, Calvert's Lot, etc. that will eventually price many of those businesses out of the East Crossroads. For the artists, in particular, they're going to face an infinite number of transitions from neighborhood to neighborhood until there are some concrete plans for a long-term artist district.
This is what I’ve been saying all along! Even if a stadium doesn’t happen, this section of crossroads will be bought up slowly overtime and transformed into something far more modern. The Calverts lot is just the beginning. So “saving the crossroads” is more like “delaying the inevitable”.

The Crossroads district is far too large and was clearly inaccurately bounded by god knows what method.

I’ve soured on the area throughout this process and I don’t feel welcome any longer in the crossroads. I’m apparently not who they want as a customer. I’ve spent more time spending money there over the last 15 years than anywhere else in the city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

can someone point me to where this "save the crossroads" propaganda is located? I can't say I've seen anything about it other than a few signs? Maybe? I feel like most of the signs just say "vote no"