Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:08 pm I am right, anyone supporting XYZ development is wrong, how could anyone possibly desire something different from the existing status-quo" type rhetoric.
Getting a lot of this on both sides.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:31 pm I don't entirely blame her, if the bulldozer was approaching the tips of my shoes I might be inclined to be irrational too. But yeah, she goes too far. I might also though, so I'm not sure I should get too bent out of shape about that either. I just don't care and won't listen to her. She has earned my indifference. But social media is cancer anyway.
Exactly my thoughts.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dnweava wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:19 pm Grand currently closed for the big12 as we approaching rush hour, Oak is essentially bumper to bumper traffic through the area. I can't imagine the shit show this would be right now if oak was closed.

Easily the street with the most traffic downtown on days when grand is closed
No worries, we'll just route it all to Main. I'm sure the streetcar won't be impacted one bit.

The Oak bridge also poses a problem with even trying to bend Oak a little bit unless Populous can give up some of that corner south of Truman. It really does need to stay open.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:00 pm
No worries, we'll just route it all to Main. I'm sure the streetcar won't be impacted one bit.
No one ever rides the toy train anyway except the homeless and thugs. I heard it ran someone over. Get rid of it!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dnweava wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:19 pm Grand currently closed for the big12 as we approaching rush hour, Oak is essentially bumper to bumper traffic through the area. I can't imagine the shit show this would be right now if oak was closed.

We've told the team that avoiding the vacation of Oak would be such an easy win for a very controversial proposal. Sure, make it narrower and calmer but do not close it (especially if Cordish gets its way to close Walnut and retain its right to close Grand). Literally there is no need to have massive setback on Grand. Take that space back!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Any chance they will come out with a new set of renderings addressing some of the concerns?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:35 pm Any chance they will come out with a new set of renderings addressing some of the concerns?
I imagine they have some options made already but I question if any further changes are made before the vote.

If I were in charge of this whole operation, I’d release an update to the vision, and include more firm details no later than next Friday. Give people time to digest and discuss the revisions and details. I’d also directly address the largest arguments made against the vision. Provide some pushback on that front so that two sides of the argument are adequately presented.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

In the event of a no vote I struggle to foresee a scenario where the much smaller Clay County votes through both a more expensive tax for it's residents but also where they feel like sloppy seconds because Jackson County said no.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:58 pm

We've told the team that avoiding the vacation of Oak would be such an easy win for a very controversial proposal. Sure, make it narrower and calmer but do not close it (especially if Cordish gets its way to close Walnut and retain its right to close Grand). Literally there is no need to have massive setback on Grand. Take that space back!
I’m curious what makes you think it’s Cordish leading the idea of closing Walnut as part of the park design? It seems like a general consensus amongst those involved that closing at least one street to create two full blocks of uninterrupted park is ideal. I could go either way on it but would like to see a larger uninterrupted section of park somewhere in the design. Walnut just seems like the least disruptive option.

A robust event day traffic plan will be critical and all downtown stakeholders will need to work together on it. Thankfully this meeting already exists.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:56 am

I’m curious what makes you think it’s Cordish leading the idea of closing Walnut as part of the park design? It seems like a general consensus amongst those involved that closing at least one street to create two full blocks of uninterrupted park is ideal. I could go either way on it but would like to see a larger uninterrupted section of park somewhere in the design. Walnut just seems like the least disruptive option.

A robust event day traffic plan will be critical and all downtown stakeholders will need to work together on it. Thankfully this meeting already exists.
Is this needed if there is a super block sized park next to the royals site?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Imagine the crossroads neighborhood not even being part of this conversation. That tells you about everything you need to know
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 pm

Imagine the crossroads neighborhood not even being part of this conversation. That tells you about everything you need to know
Probably because no one thinks of the area that borders Truman Rd as the crossroads. Like who even had a say in defining the boundaries of "The Crossroads Art District"? What were the original boundaries? Is there a map dated back to 2001? Did it include this area?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:06 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 pm

Probably because no one thinks of the area that borders Truman Rd as the crossroads. Like who even had a say in defining the boundaries of "The Crossroads Art District"? What were the original boundaries? Is there a map dated back to 2001? Did it include this area?
I have always wondered that. I mean the loop has like six different "districts", but for some reason, the Crossroads District is EVERYTHING between 670/35/71 and the Pershing/22nd St. That's a massive area and it's mostly un or under developed.

Do people in KC really consider the area just south of 670 and north of 17th and east of Grand the Crossroads District? Right now, it's not really anything, but I would say it's more the P&L District than anything. If a stadium goes there, it should have its own name along with the arena, the stadium district or something.

With such a large area being labeled the Crossroads Arts District, it kind of dilutes the district to a point where most people don't really even know where the "district" even is. If you go downtown to the arts district, you don't go to the star press building or the blocks that surround it.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

does anyone care where a stadium is built if the owners spend their own $? how much of the Save the K people were Save KCI people wanting nearby parking?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’ve seen several people on X use comicon as a reason to not have a downtown stadium. Common complaints: traffic, parking and people. HA!

You can be opposed to the Crossroads stadium because of the businesses located there, but the moment you complain about parking, get outta here with that nonsense. Typical NIMBY crap that would show up even if the East Village was the site. You can’t advocate for a stronger, more vibrant city in one hand and bitch about more cars and parking problems in the other.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Jackson County Legislature will host public hearing about Royals ballpark
The public have a chance next week to voice an opinion about the Kansas City Royals' intent to build a ballpark in the East Crossroads.

Two members of the Jackson County Legislature, Chair Jeanie Lauer and Vice Chair Megan Marshall, will host a public hearing at 3 p.m. Monday at the Jackson County Courthouse.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lpark.html
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:25 am Jackson County Legislature will host public hearing about Royals ballpark
The public have a chance next week to voice an opinion about the Kansas City Royals' intent to build a ballpark in the East Crossroads.

Two members of the Jackson County Legislature, Chair Jeanie Lauer and Vice Chair Megan Marshall, will host a public hearing at 3 p.m. Monday at the Jackson County Courthouse.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lpark.html
Any hearing announced three days prior, held during prime business/work hours, is simply for show. "Public Hearing".. that most the public can't attend. MO needs to legislate out this kind of BS and force hearings for matters of public interest to be held during evening hours with at least 7 days of notice. Our laws requiring notice and public participation are embarrassing for a state with so many other personal liberty protections.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Ive lived and worked in the neighborhood for 14 years. I am increasingly baffled by the argument that the stadium would ruin our “thriving” neighborhood. By any reasonable standard, the neighborhood is broken, especially the area inside the footprint of the proposed stadium. I am as big of an advocate for the neighborhood as anyone, and I spend a lot of time thinking about and working on neighborhood improvement projects, but trying to say the neighborhood is thriving or the stadium will ruin the integrity of the Crossroads is really delusional in my opinion.

It's a beautiful early spring day, with two major events happening downtown. I just walked from truman to 20th on "Grand Boulevard" and encountered single digit pedestrians. Think about that, just really insane, and quite typical for the neighborhood.

There are reasons I can understand why you would be against this stadium, namely my business is going to be bull-dozed or perhaps we shouldn't be using tax payer money for a stadium anywhere, but really anything other than that is just NIMBY stuff and people being terrified of change. We should absolutely extract as much as we can from the Royals in the process, and force them to make this a very special and integrated venue, but regardless, I wholeheartedly believe the worst version of this stadium is better than the status quo. There will of course be new and different problems but those are way more workable than the ghost town I currently reside in. It goes without saying, make sure the businesses being displaced are made (more than) whole, and then bring on the construction, the traffic, the noise, the people, and economic activity.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

“The Crossroads” has an overly large footprint, to acknowledge earlier posts asking to define the neighborhood as smaller than currently defined.

The OG Crossroads was centered around Leedy-Voulkos at 20th and Baltimore. That said it has grown in the last 20 years and I think the center of “The Crossroads” has moved east to 18th and Oak/Locust. This is my personal opinion having been down here since about 2001.

Also anecdotal, it’s 3:30 on a Sunday and Casual Animal is full but not feeling busy. Every seat has a butt but no line at the bar. I should add I don’t think this is a comicon or basketball oriented crowd.

My concern: it’s not the stadium footprint itself. I think losing Oak would be a mistake but not a deal breaker. It is that places like Brick River, Casual Animal, The Brick, Nimble Brewing, iTAP, etc etc will go out of business in favor of “future” concepts, surface parking lots (oh shit another fire!), or even worse Applebees new concept.

The only people in the Yes camp that I have talked to in real life either didn’t know any details of the plan (that new park capping the highway is awesome I will vote yes based on that!) or voting yes so the Royals AND Chiefs don’t leave KC. Seems like dishonest reasons to vote yes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's a beautiful early spring day, with two major events happening downtown. I just walked from truman to 20th on "Grand Boulevard" and encountered single digit pedestrians. Think about that, just really insane, and quite typical for the neighborhood.
Good god, the freaking quote of the century. This should be plastered everywhere because I feel like I'm the only one that sees this. And every time I say it, I'm just some out of town asshole.

I just do not see how a stadium can be anything but good for the overall health of the entire crossroads district. The only thing I can think of is that people want the area to remain what it is (or was in the recent past). A barely developed and "cheap" part of downtown KC.

With Crown Center on one end and the CBD on the other, the Crossroads is not a district outside of downtown, It's smack dab the middle of downtown KC. Downtown is not just the ten blocks inside the freeway loop. It's from the River Market to south of Crown Center. This part of downtown needs to develop and become a dense built up part of downtown KC with pedestrians, cyclists, cars, buses, etc in every direction you look. In order to do that, most of the unused and extremely underutilized land (for an urban downtown area) needs to be repurposed. And you can do that while keeping the vast majority and history of the crossroads existing building stock in tact.

If you want a scattering of old building among blocks and blocks of empty buildings, parking lots, empty lots etc, go down to the west bottoms. That area is going to take decades to get where the Crossraods is today. And before anybody says anything, I love the west bottoms. It's just that it's only like 10% utilized today so it has plenty of time to be the next cheap "arts" district.