Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by GRID »

Won't impact Independence at all.

People going to Royals games that would dine in Independence restaurants or stay in the few decent hotels in Independence still will. Those are people that live out there or people that are coming into town from the east and don't want to stay downtown.

Most people that come to KC for games now already stay in center city hotels. The people that don't are probably still going to stay in suburban hotels on their way into town.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good summary on the ambiguity of this plans financials

https://www.kcur.org/sports/2024-03-05/ ... uri-chiefs
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:58 am Good summary on the ambiguity of this plans financials

Seems pretty clear to me as it pertains to this vote. We are voting on giving them the county portion. The city and state don’t want to get into the weeds until they see this vote pass. Do we actually need the Royals and Chiefs to confirm what’s obvious? This tax alone clearly won’t fund both projects and we’ve all known that from the start.

We know the most important part. How much the county will be involved and how much the teams plan to spend. If we don’t pass this there’s no use in the politicians entering the stage where they’ll start dealing with the backlash. They don’t want to get in the game until it’s clear this is a reality.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:15 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:58 am Good summary on the ambiguity of this plans financials

Seems pretty clear to me as it pertains to this vote. We are voting on giving them the county portion. The city and state don’t want to get into the weeds until they see this vote pass. Do we actually need the Royals and Chiefs to confirm what’s obvious? This tax alone clearly won’t fund both projects and we’ve all known that from the start.

We know the most important part. How much the county will be involved and how much the teams plan to spend. If we don’t pass this there’s no use in the politicians entering the stage where they’ll start dealing with the backlash. They don’t want to get in the game until it’s clear this is a reality.
"When the Royals were considering a stadium north of the Missouri River, their sources and uses statement listed an expected $350 million contribution from North Kansas City, $580 million from Clay County and $350 million from Missouri."

Why would they have it for the NKC site but not something for this site? Just makes it seem that much more rushed.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC_Ari wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:20 am

"When the Royals were considering a stadium north of the Missouri River, their sources and uses statement listed an expected $350 million contribution from North Kansas City, $580 million from Clay County and $350 million from Missouri."

Why would they have it for the NKC site but not something for this site? Just makes it seem that much more rushed.
They didn’t have it, they were “expecting” it just as they’re expecting funding from the city and state IF this vote passes.

Why would the Mayor take on the political risk if this ultimately doesn’t pass? Of course they’ve been having those conversations for months, but no need to go public if we can’t even get past the most basic step here.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ericwyner wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:10 am
Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:21 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:15 pm In the gym just now and KCTV5 is on one of the tvs and they are running this big hack piece on the stadium moves big impact on Independence. All the wrong things get focused on by people here.
What impact would that be?
hotels? and restaurants near hotels?
I guess if you are only coming for a game and you live in Columbia or rural Missouri east of KC, you might want to stay in Independence and visit the Bass Pro Shop while you are at it. I can't see the stadium leaving having big impact on Independence financially. I have several friends that come in from various places to see games and stay either downtown, the Plaza or the Overland Park area (all are marginally further than Independence given driving times in the metro) and have more going on overall. Getting around the KC metro is such an easy process that proximity doesn't mean that much unless it's a daily or weekly thing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was important enough to have prior to the previous vote. Voters want to know how much else it's going to cost the other entities like the state and city to see this plan through. That impact the taxoayer as well.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm

It was important enough to have prior to the previous vote. Voters want to know how much else it's going to cost the other entities like the state and city to see this plan through. That impact the taxoayer as well.
How? They’re already paying those taxes and have voted for people to represent them who will make the call on how to spend those tax dollars. Hell, the bonds won’t even be paid for via the tax payer ideally.

Thank god a vote isn’t required for every major infrastructure project in this country and state. We’d never have anything new.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The Royals royally messed up. They chose at the last election to renovate their stadium instead of moving downtown. I’m fine if they now realize that huge blunder and want to put significant money into being where they should have been decades ago. But, they aren’t. They’re basically getting three funding people together in a room and saying, “Let’s all do this together!” ….and then splitting it three ways.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:29 pm The Royals royally messed up. They chose at the last election to renovate their stadium instead of moving downtown. I’m fine if they now realize that huge blunder and want to put significant money into being where they should have been decades ago. But, they aren’t. They’re basically getting three funding people together in a room and saying, “Let’s all do this together!” ….and then splitting it three ways.
I assume they knew there was zero chance of getting KC voters to agree to a new stadium at that point in time.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

That's not true. The royals contributed significantly less last time than the chiefs did.

People downtown were talking about it and the owners immediately shut it down.

Had no interest in investing downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:19 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:36 pm

How? They’re already paying those taxes and have voted for people to represent them who will make the call on how to spend those tax dollars. Hell, the bonds won’t even be paid for via the tax payer ideally.

Thank god a vote isn’t required for every major infrastructure project in this country and state. We’d never have anything new.
I agree I don't want people to vote for everything that they elected leaders to make. That said voters still want to see what a total project that they are voting on, will expend their tax dollars. Why do they care? That differs by voter but they do care. Let's say this is now going to take 200M a year out of the kcmo general fund, that impacts city services including things like police budgets and other things people want the city to invest in.

Voting when there are big unknowns like this makes a no vote much easier. It's just another example of this either being rushed or incomplete or purposely ambiguous or all 3.

Edit - I may add it feels like we are talking two different things. I'm trying to point out how to shore up a yes vote, you are trying to argue away why whatever a voter may be looking for isn't important right now. Giving them data and info is what swings votes to yes, not telling them why what they are asking for isn't needed for them to vote for the proposal.
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

Does anyone with insider information have knowledge of any plans by the Royals to complete that CBA and release more details? They may be able to turn this bad perception around with a kick-ass promise to the community, but that’s probably what it will take if the fervor online and unanimous No-vote sentiment I’ve seen from Crossroads residents I’ve spoken to correlates to Jackson county as a whole, and the clock is ticking.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

bricknose wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:59 pm Does anyone with insider information have knowledge of any plans by the Royals to complete that CBA and release more details? They may be able to turn this bad perception around with a kick-ass promise to the community, but that’s probably what it will take if the fervor online and unanimous No-vote sentiment I’ve seen from Crossroads residents I’ve spoken to correlates to Jackson county as a whole, and the clock is ticking.
They need to come out with before the vote or it will fail. I'm getting the vibe that half the people that are saying they will vote no on social media could be won over if they just came out with honesty and agreements in writing for how they will good neighbors to the arts district and the displaced businesses.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they at minimum need to come out with what they are agreeing with in big round numbers. Remember this is where WBE/MBE type # come in and assist in swaying labor on top of social / neighborhoods that want to see items in the CBA
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bricknose wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:59 pm Does anyone with insider information have knowledge of any plans by the Royals to complete that CBA and release more details? They may be able to turn this bad perception around with a kick-ass promise to the community, but that’s probably what it will take if the fervor online and unanimous No-vote sentiment I’ve seen from Crossroads residents I’ve spoken to correlates to Jackson county as a whole, and the clock is ticking.
They have submitted a new lease agreement to Jackson County. I assume it includes the CBA.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

She's so classy. This is in response to CitySceneKC's most recent post.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:26 pm She's so classy. This is in response to CitySceneKC's most recent post.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce to you Cocky Jill Cockson. She’s the most insufferable person to come out against this. It’s not about her business. No. It’s about her personal vendetta against change. She of all people should be pushed aside. She came out a few weeks back and completely labeled all baseball fans as rednecks who drink cheap beer in a parking lot and that they’re not her preferred clientele. She’s so far into the hole of stupidity she can’t even see straight.

Good thing a Google Search, and a visit to her Facebook profile, reveals a list of businesses she owns so I know where not to spend my money.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Her hypocrisy is well noted, and shamelessly flamboyant as ever. I was extremely disappointed to find that her comments are disabled on her personal page even though each of her post is public. She obviously wants communication to be a one-way Street, to be able to heckle, but not be heckled. Talk about hypocrisy.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:10 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:26 pm She's so classy. This is in response to CitySceneKC's most recent post.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce to you Cocky Jill Cockson. She’s the most insufferable person to come out against this. It’s not about her business. No. It’s about her personal vendetta against change. She of all people should be pushed aside. She came out a few weeks back and completely labeled all baseball fans as rednecks who drink cheap beer in a parking lot and that they’re not her preferred clientele. She’s so far into the hole of stupidity she can’t even see straight.

Good thing a Google Search, and a visit to her Facebook profile, reveals a list of businesses she owns so I know where not to spend my money.
You guys obviously haven't followed her social media before now, she could give a rat's ass if you ever set foot in one of her businesses.

And her businesses will succeed wildly.

You all are apparently threatened by this woman. As you should be.

You criticize her for using hyperbole and all caps, when the other side is using Mahomes, Kelce and Salvy, who with all due respect, don't know jack shit about anything regarding the East Crossroads.