Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:34 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:55 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm

Mission is definitely seeing a bit of a revival which is great because it has backslid a little since I lived in that area in the 80's.

So what is the status of the Mission Gateway part of downtown Mission. That corner of Mission remains kind of a festering sore. While at it, I wish the city would fix the interchange at Roe and SMP. A highway interchange is not needed there, just make it into a standard intersection and the city could even reclaim some land that is now dedicated to unneeded cloverleafs.
Mission Gateway has its incentive package canceled by the city and I think they’re still in the court process now.

As for Roe and SMP, do you mean Metcalf? Roe/Johnson Drive has a few ramps, but nothing major.
Yes, not really cloverleafs. I think it's mostly due to some utilities/infra in the area that prevents a more standard intersection.
Yes and a small creek that apparently floods from time to time. But the entire interchange is more complex than it needs to be. And I meant Johnson Drive and not Roe.
mjbauer95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mjbauer95 »

I think Mission Gateway is in default. No one really knows what's going to happen.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Highlander wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm

Mission is definitely seeing a bit of a revival which is great because it has backslid a little since I lived in that area in the 80's.

So what is the status of the Mission Gateway part of downtown Mission. That corner of Mission remains kind of a festering sore. While at it, I wish the city would fix the interchange at Roe and SMP. A highway interchange is not needed there, just make it into a standard intersection and the city could even reclaim some land that is now dedicated to unneeded cloverleafs.
Mission Gateway has its incentive package canceled by the city and I think they’re still in the court process now.

As for Roe and SMP, do you mean Metcalf? Roe/Johnson Drive has a few ramps, but nothing major.
Yes, not really cloverleafs. I think it's mostly due to some utilities/infra in the area that prevents a more standard intersection.
Let's not overlook the challenges involved in getting the state to fund, or indeed even consent to, any reasonable projects involving their highways. Anything involving SMP or Metcalf that isn't designed to blast cars through nonstop at 65mph is basically a non-starter.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

mjbauer95 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:46 pm I think Mission Gateway is in default. No one really knows what's going to happen.
The development agreement with the city was terminated last year due to default. Meanwhile, the property owner, Aryeh Realty, is party to a court case involving foreclosure and several liens, and the city is not a party to that case. You can lookup civil cases using Aryeh Realty as a partial name search on the county courts website to view more information: https://public.jococourts.org/index.aspx
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

bchociej wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 pm

Let's not overlook the challenges involved in getting the state to fund, or indeed even consent to, any reasonable projects involving their highways. Anything involving SMP or Metcalf that isn't designed to blast cars through nonstop at 65mph is basically a non-starter.
Haha, thought that went without saying.