Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

Whew. I almost closed the whole dang site!
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

I was a strong Yes on the April vote and have spent considerable time on the Waldo Neighborhood page as to why, all related to the Royals announcement. Now I’m not sure. The Chiefs (Hunt) have really deflated my expectations for a “re-envisioned Arrowhead”. Clark Hunt has come off like a cheap ass and basically saying Kansas City residents are fortunate to have the Chiefs, yet he’s only putting in $300m for a team that has won 3 Superbowls in 5 years. The Chiefs need to step up with something big. Why not a glass exoskeleton to make the stadium look more modern with LED light displays incorporated in the glass? Something that says “wow”.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:27 am I was a strong Yes on the April vote and have spent considerable time on the Waldo Neighborhood page as to why, all related to the Royals announcement. Now I’m not sure. The Chiefs (Hunt) have really deflated my expectations for a “re-envisioned Arrowhead”. Clark Hunt has come off like a cheap ass and basically saying Kansas City residents are fortunate to have the Chiefs, yet he’s only putting in $300m for a team that has won 3 Superbowls in 5 years. The Chiefs need to step up with something big. Why not a glass exoskeleton to make the stadium look more modern with LED light displays incorporated in the glass? Something that says “wow”.
Concur.

Chiefs really killed the vibes of this whole thing with their giant nothingberger. Like wtf was that rendering. It could've been a picture from 1970 and I wouldn't have known a difference.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:27 am Why not a glass exoskeleton to make the stadium look more modern with LED light displays incorporated in the glass? Something that says “wow”.
Because they're spending the money on things that make the actual experience modern...

Anything that would have obstructed the original shape of the bowl was out (and would have made just as many people angry). Nobody in the organization wants a roof.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

bspecht wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:10 pm
KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:27 am Why not a glass exoskeleton to make the stadium look more modern with LED light displays incorporated in the glass? Something that says “wow”.
Because they're spending the money on things that make the actual experience modern...

Anything that would have obstructed the original shape of the bowl was out (and would have made just as many people angry). Nobody in the organization wants a roof.
A glass exoskeleton around the exterior doesn’t affect the bowl. From what I see, it’s some infrastructure, bigger video boards and a lot of VIP upgrades, meaning those with a lot of money and Hunt pocketing more money, while investing only $300M. I’m probably a no vote on this now because of cheap ass Hunt. All this talk from him about “reimagining Arrowhead “ for the next generation is BS.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

New baseball stadium downtown has my yes vote if they can be cool with the neighborhood
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:07 pm New baseball stadium downtown has my yes vote if they can be cool with the neighborhood
I was, even though my mind isn’t completely made up, but Hunt has made me question the vote and maybe come back in August with something better. Royals got my vote. Sherman should go kick little prick Clark in the ass for effing up the vote…lol
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Really just shows that the teams should be split up for any future votes, including this one, if they aren't both going to be at the same complex.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC curveball: If voters OK sales taxes for a ballpark, Royals will ask the city and state for up to $700 million more

The Royals are pitching a $1 billion sales tax to pay for a new stadium, but they’ll need another $700 million to make the stadium happen. That’s where the team expects Kansas City and Missouri to come in.
The proposed extension of Jackson County’s sales tax won’t be enough to pay for a new downtown Kansas City Royals stadium.

So the team is in conversation with city officials and Missouri Gov. Mike Parson to fill a $700 million funding gap with taxpayer dollars from Kansas City and the state.
As for the Royals, the $1 billion in sales tax money would go toward the new stadium. The team would be on its own to raise money for its surrounding ballpark district.

But that $1 billion will only cover a third of the stadium’s costs.

Before the Royals can use the county sales tax money, the county must still pay off nearly $200 million in debt on the Truman Sports Complex. Plus, because the Royals plan to take out a loan to finance construction costs up front, much of the sales tax revenue will have to pay for interest.

That leaves somewhere between $250 million and $350 million that can actually be used to cover stadium expenses — and leaves more than two-thirds of the stadium’s cost unaccounted for.
Schulte said the Royals plan to fill that gap with money from Kansas City and Missouri, but without this document, the specifics remain unclear.
https://kcbeacon.org/stories/2024/03/01 ... nding-gap/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Convenient article considering the current environment.

Reads like a lot of assumptions and unknowns in this.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

"The team would be on its own to raise money for its surrounding ballpark district."

Lol. What ballpark district?

This is all vapor.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:16 am "The team would be on its own to raise money for its surrounding ballpark district."

This is all vapor.
No, it's not. A new stadium alone isn't the magic pill to increase revenue and put a better team on the field. People keep inaccurately assuming John Sherman is just a rich smuck who wants more money from taxpayers to pad his own personal wealth. He wants to leave a legacy of winning and he knows it ain't happening consistently at The K.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Right now it's vapor. They don't even own the land.

Come out and say this is our plan and this is how we are financing it. They keep just making up numbers.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 pm Right now it's vapor. They don't even own the land.

Come out and say this is our plan and this is how we are financing it. They keep just making up numbers.
Well if that's how we are judging if things are vapor, I guess the entire idea of a new stadium is vapor. This location, Kansas, NKC... all vapor.

How will the fund it? Well, the city will be pitching in but only if it's this location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:27 am
WoodDraw wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:16 am "The team would be on its own to raise money for its surrounding ballpark district."

This is all vapor.
No, it's not. A new stadium alone isn't the magic pill to increase revenue and put a better team on the field. People keep inaccurately assuming John Sherman is just a rich smuck who wants more money from taxpayers to pad his own personal wealth. He wants to leave a legacy of winning and he knows it ain't happening consistently at The K.
They need to show their math on all this. Nobody has seen anything to back this up.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:49 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:27 am

This is all vapor.
They need to show their math on all this. Nobody has seen anything to back this up.
Because it's all a pointless exercise if they can't even get this one critical vote won. This is step one of several when asking for such a low sales tax. It would be much different if they were asking for this one tax to cover all the costs. The other funding depends on this vote and won't require a vote from the public.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

So the plan is to ask for more taxpayer money to fund their retirement their costs that the public won’t be able to have an additional vote to approve?

I hope this is clearly communicated prior to April.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

droopy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:28 pm So the plan is to ask for more taxpayer money to fund their retirement their costs that the public won’t be able to have an additional vote to approve?

I hope this is clearly communicated prior to April.
This tax is meant to help build sure, but's the most critical portion because it's a long term commitment from the county to help fund the upkeep and operations of the stadium long term. The rest of the construction costs will come from city and state backed bonds which won't require a public vote as they'll be a part of the city and states budget appropriations. However, state and local elected officials will have to approve it.

If Jackson County voters don't want to make a long term commitment to maintain and operate a new stadium, then why in the hell move on past that? It's step one and the biggest step at that.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

You're begging the question. The royals can't give us details unless we pass a tax, therefore we should pass a tax so the royals give us details.

It's complete circular logic.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Even the vote means nothing if there isn't a lease.