Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:57 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:35 pmYou’re not really comparing anything being torn down in this area of EC to Mayan and Aztec temples are you?
It's not THAT ridiculous, is it? People with more money than I have come in and destroy everything that I built to extract money from people, and replace it with their shit built to extract money from people. I'd be mad, too. These are my victims, you can't have them! And also I'm less rich so you should feel sorry for me. I dunno. Maybe I've gotten too cynical. On some level, actually probably most levels, I want everyone here to lose.
Well I certainly have more empathy for those potentially losing the business they’ve worked hard to develop than I do about the physical structures that aren’t even remotely significant in any true historical context.

And you, cynical?! Nooooooooo
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm not really so cynical that I think of customers as victims, typically. But in a practical sense, it seems like we're just blood donors voting on where our plasma goes.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:29 pm
dnweava wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:09 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:54 pm This is not a secret mission they hope fails for some other purpose. They’re spending real money on this effort and while it could have all been so much better regarding how it’s been handled, there’s nothing fishy. You have two sports teams who have a lot going on. Neither owner is a developer and both have no experience in that sector. They should have brought in help first before any other single move.

Also, populous is far from overrated. We have seen conceptual drawings with small budgets compared to their other projects. This is still Kansas City at the end of the day.
The Hunts are 100% developers ... Hunt Midwest, they literally do non-stop development in the area.
They do industrial properties, data centers and storage facilities. Not exactly the same set of PR and political finesse required for a warehouse Vs public private partnership.
And Residential, and commercial, and have built single family subdivisions... They 100% have the know-how and political experience to build any type of development and fill it with tenants, especially in the KC area.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:41 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:29 pm
dnweava wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:09 pm

The Hunts are 100% developers ... Hunt Midwest, they literally do non-stop development in the area.
They do industrial properties, data centers and storage facilities. Not exactly the same set of PR and political finesse required for a warehouse Vs public private partnership.
And Residential, and commercial, and have built single family subdivisions... They 100% have the know-how and political experience to build any type of development and fill it with tenants, especially in the KC area.
Sorry, but do you know anything about Clark Hunt? He’s not exactly active within that organization from my experience and I don’t think building warehouses in industrial areas is comparable to a billion dollar public private project that relies on a vote from taxpayers. That my only point here. They should have brought in experts who have far more experience on these particular, tax payer involved projects from the very start. All this mess would have been avoided.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Here is the official "vote yes" youtube channel for anyone that hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/@YesOn1JacksonCo
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

For those in the know - how set in stone is the actual ballpark design in this proposal (stadium layout, orientation, materials)?

Is the brick, Target Field semi-clone in the renderings basically what we're getting, or is there a chance it could evolve into more of a local or Kauffman feel like the original East Village proposal, at least maybe seeing some different exterior materials, Crown scoreboard, etc?

Wish we had better, closer up images of the ballpark itself, but then maybe major changes are still upcoming considering they consider this a "vision" for a DT park...
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:31 am For those in the know - how set in stone is the actual ballpark design in this proposal (stadium layout, orientation, materials)?

Is the brick, Target Field semi-clone in the renderings basically what we're getting, or is there a chance it could evolve into more of a local or Kauffman feel like the original East Village proposal, at least maybe seeing some different exterior materials, Crown scoreboard, etc?

Wish we had better, closer up images of the ballpark itself, but then maybe major changes are still upcoming considering they consider this a "vision" for a DT park...
I'd say it's very conceptual. Fully expect things like the crown vision to return, orientation to possibly slightly change based on the final call on Oak Street etc. What we've seen on both stadiums is very "vision". Hell, some of the renderings aren't even consistent with each other.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:52 pm
Metro wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:48 pm
dnweava wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:56 pm I was curious how many cities have urban vs suburban stadiums. I know the south is full of suburban stadiums so I didn't even research there, but in the heartland it's almost entirely urban baseball. Literally every AA, AAA, and MLB stadium in this circle are Urban except the Royals organization and the Brewers. I admittedly left off 2 AA teams in Tennessee, and 1 AA team in Pennsylvania off the map that seemingly play in the middle of nowhere so I figured they weren't really comparable.

Crazy, literally everywhere can figure out urban baseball except the Royals organization. The new Omaha and NW Arkansas Stadiums look like awful locations to watch baseball.

I saw you post this awful argument on Reddit and rightfully get lit up for it
What's your problem? This is a simple point of fact made by dnweava and you (and those on Reddit) want to shit on this user for pointing out the obvious? Fuck me. The anti sales tax vote people, and those who are so hellbent on anything even remotely related to being against this proposal, are some of the most obnoxious and vile people on social media these days. Seriously, WTF is the problem with these people? And I don't mean people like Dave who have genuine concerns over the future of the Crossroads. It's those who don't like the facts presented.

K
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Metro wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:27 pm

K
you aren't completely embarrassed? Almost every city has figured out urban baseball except us. Baseball does not belong in the suburbs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I think Sherman should just give up and take the team to city that wants them. Then he also truly makes some big time money too since that's what everybody thinks is all he wants anyway.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:05 pm I think Sherman should just give up and take the team to city that wants them. Then he also truly makes some big time money too since that's what everybody thinks is all he wants anyway.
Exactly.

I'm not saying they want to leave KC. But if they wanted to leave KC, what would they be doing differently?
KC is the way to be!
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

dnweava wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:28 am Here is the official "vote yes" youtube channel for anyone that hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/@YesOn1JacksonCo
They’re emphasizing the right things, at least. They don’t even bring up the downtown stadium. They just say $1b in investments and additional jobs. Vote Yes or lose the Royals and Chiefs.

As much as more info would be nice, the misinfo is so loud and penetrating, it’s probably best to get out the ignorant super fans rather than try to educate the reactionaries.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

dnweava wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:36 pm
Metro wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:27 pm

K
you aren't completely embarrassed? Almost every city has figured out urban baseball except us. Baseball does not belong in the suburbs.
:lol:
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

bricknose wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:04 pmVote Yes or lose the Royals and Chiefs.
That makes it easier to be hard No.

(for me, anyway)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:25 pm
bricknose wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:04 pmVote Yes or lose the Royals and Chiefs.

(for me, anyway)
To be fair, the ads say "Vote yes to keep the Royals in Chiefs in Jackson County". It's not a threat to leave the metro. I think many people voting no are voting no to "Save Kaufman Stadium" and they simply do not realize that the decision has already been made by the Royals to find another option. Those voting no because they do not like the Crossroads location won't be swayed but those thinking a no vote is a vote for Kaufman Stadium may eventually change their votes if they realize staying is not an option. The ads don't explicitly state all that but it should be evident to anyone following the topic.

The ads have been out a day and not a single "like" on You Tube. Not sure if they are even reaching an audience.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:42 pm
mean wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:25 pm

(for me, anyway)
To be fair, the ads say "Vote yes to keep the Royals in Chiefs in Jackson County". It's not a threat to leave the metro. I think many people voting no are voting no to "Save Kaufman Stadium" and they simply do not realize that the decision has already been made by the Royals to find another option. Those voting no because they do not like the Crossroads location won't be swayed but those thinking a no vote is a vote for Kaufman Stadium may eventually change their votes if they realize staying is not an option. The ads don't explicitly state all that but it should be evident to anyone following the topic.

The ads have been out a day and not a single "like" on You Tube. Not sure if they are even reaching an audience.
To be fair they don't have a dislike at this point either
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:05 pm I think Sherman should just give up and take the team to city that wants them. Then he also truly makes some big time money too since that's what everybody thinks is all he wants anyway.
seriously wtf is this? Luckily Sherman is a KC guy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Royals paying into the CID is a no brainer. Shouldn't even be a discussion point if they want to be "part of the neighborhood"

https://x.com/kclightrail/status/176331 ... 33207?s=20
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

The CID doesn't exist yet so there probably needs to be some discussion... and it says, via the Royals spokesperson, they support it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:34 pm
seriously wtf is this? Luckily Sherman is a KC guy.
Sarcasm. Since everybody seems to think Sherman is only in it for the money.

Luckily I think he has thick skin and will see this through. And luckily he is a true "kc" guy and really cares about the city. Most people don't see to know or get that. Just kind of pisses me off especially when Hunts are so cheap.