Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by dnweava »

The businesses complaining about this sound exactly like the ones that tried to stop the streetcar.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

dnweava wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 pm The businesses complaining about this sound exactly like the ones that tried to stop the streetcar.
Have to imagine that better outreach prior to the public release of the plan would have helped.

For that matter, take a page from the streetcar and have businesses display a sticker in their windows to say they support the coming project.
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:47 pm For that matter, take a page from the streetcar and have businesses display a sticker in their windows to say they support the coming project.
This. In the end, the strong opposition is based out of a (misplaced?) desire to defend people from harm. If businesses had all been on board and visibly so, all the other arguments would melt away, because none of the other arguments actually matter to the progressive crowd. Complaints about paying a tax is just an empty argument to support their core concern: “economic justice.”
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:47 pm
dnweava wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 pm The businesses complaining about this sound exactly like the ones that tried to stop the streetcar.
Have to imagine that better outreach prior to the public release of the plan would have helped.

For that matter, take a page from the streetcar and have businesses display a sticker in their windows to say they support the coming project.
I believe that while most businesses are in support, they’re afraid to show any support. Jill and her aggressive approach is no joke. She’ll not hesitate to slander anyone who shows support for this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not a very popular idea with crossroads businesses east of oak. It's not jill.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:38 am

I believe that while most businesses are in support, they’re afraid to show any support. Jill and her aggressive approach is no joke. She’ll not hesitate to slander anyone who shows support for this.
But you had to expect that aggressive fighting if the plan involved her business. If not her, then someone like her. You can’t realistically expect every business to go quietly into the night after the investment financially and emotionally that they made in a specific location.

A way to counteract that would have been to get some in the community willing to show their support. However, those in the crossroads in news articles and in community meetings have repeatedly said they were given 0 prior notice of the plan before it was released. Same thing with the church right in the path. They’re finally meeting with Sherman and the group tomorrow.

I can’t wait to have the Royals in the city and maybe more businesses are quietly in support of this… but you can’t say that this rollout has been handled well.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:57 am It's not a very popular idea with crossroads businesses east of oak. It's not jill.
It’s far more popular than you’d think if you’re simply going off what Jill and two other owners are saying. Think about it. You come out in support and for some reason this doesn’t happen. You’ve got a X on your back and will be labeled as a “bad member of the crossroad’s community”.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:05 am

But you had to expect that aggressive fighting if the plan involved her business. If not her, then someone like her. You can’t realistically expect every business to go quietly into the night after the investment financially and emotionally that they made in a specific location.

A way to counteract that would have been to get some in the community willing to show their support. However, those in the crossroads in news articles and in community meetings have repeatedly said they were given 0 prior notice of the plan before it was released. Same thing with the church right in the path. They’re finally meeting with Sherman and the group tomorrow.

I can’t wait to have the Royals in the city and maybe more businesses are quietly in support of this… but you can’t say that this rollout has been handled well.
Yeah I’m not defending the rollout and sloppiness of it all. I’m not even mad that the Royals didn’t talk to the individual tenants as why would they? They should have spoken to all impacted landlords and gave them the info to talk with their tenants.

I think it’s hard for people like Stretch to openly support this out of fear of being called out and degraded in the local media. There is no other person like Jill in the neighborhood. She’s willing to go low. Matter of fact it’s her leading strategy.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I get that the Royals had zero obligation to speak to or provide any assistance to business tenants who would be displaced, but purely from a practical and public relations standpoint, it clearly would have been a good idea to reach out to business owners and get them on board. Greasing the skids a few months ago would have saved them a hell of a lot of headache.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Sani wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:34 am I get that the Royals had zero obligation to speak to or provide any assistance to business tenants who would be displaced, but purely from a practical and public relations standpoint, it clearly would have been a good idea to reach out to business owners and get them on board. Greasing the skids a few months ago would have saved them a hell of a lot of headache.
That's what continues to baffle me about this whole process. It feels so obvious.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

UMKCroo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:28 pm
Uggg. That first reply is giving me some ptsd.
From the forgotten mist he emerges… his mayoral term was such a waste
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:18 am

Yeah I’m not defending the rollout and sloppiness of it all. I’m not even mad that the Royals didn’t talk to the individual tenants as why would they? They should have spoken to all impacted landlords and gave them the info to talk with their tenants.

I think it’s hard for people like Stretch to openly support this out of fear of being called out and degraded in the local media. There is no other person like Jill in the neighborhood. She’s willing to go low. Matter of fact it’s her leading strategy.
Lol omg stretch being scared to speak out is the funniest thing I'll read today. Out of touch with reality is all this indicates.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

What would this sales tax actually cost the average JaCo citizen? The simple math of dividing 50m by the population of JaCo comes out to $70/person per year but considering the variation in what people spend, plus the fact that hundreds of millions are spent each year in JaCo by those who do not live in JaCo, I'd have to assume that what each citizen actually pays is even lower on average.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:07 am
Sani wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:34 am I get that the Royals had zero obligation to speak to or provide any assistance to business tenants who would be displaced, but purely from a practical and public relations standpoint, it clearly would have been a good idea to reach out to business owners and get them on board. Greasing the skids a few months ago would have saved them a hell of a lot of headache.
That's what continues to baffle me about this whole process. It feels so obvious.
Yes it does. They still have time to make it better if they want to
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:26 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:18 am

Lol omg stretch being scared to speak out is the funniest thing I'll read today. Out of touch with reality is all this indicates.
Well go talk to him then! He's a close friend and I think I'll take the words right out of his mouth over your..... whatever it is you're using to make this comment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You are telling us stretch has told you he is afraid to speak out in favor of this project because he is scared of jill?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:30 pm You are telling us stretch has told you he is afraid to speak out in favor of this project because he is scared of jill?
Specifically because of Jill? No, that's not what I'm telling you. He's not alone in not wanting to speak out too much as a proponent of this stadium site because if it doesn't happen, it could create a rift within the neighborhood.

I've spoken to several other business owners who are excited about this and in full support who are also hesitant to be vocal about it. I won't mention who those people are and the only reason I mentioned Stretch was because he did come out in the media once to support the stadium. He also caught plenty of shit about it privately.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:34 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:30 pm You are telling us stretch has told you he is afraid to speak out in favor of this project because he is scared of jill?
Specifically because of Jill? No, that's not what I'm telling you. He's not alone in not wanting to speak out too much as a proponent of this stadium site because if it doesn't happen, it could create a rift within the neighborhood.

I've spoken to several other business owners who are excited about this and in full support who are also hesitant to be vocal about it. I won't mention who those people are and the only reason I mentioned Stretch was because he did come out in the media once to support the stadium. He also caught plenty of shit about it privately.
Funny, because I don't remember him being afraid to speak out against the Streetcar regardless of how much that benefitted the Crossroads in general.
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:27 pm What would this sales tax actually cost the average JaCo citizen? The simple math of dividing 50m by the population of JaCo comes out to $70/person per year but considering the variation in what people spend, plus the fact that hundreds of millions are spent each year in JaCo by those who do not live in JaCo, I'd have to assume that what each citizen actually pays is even lower on average.

One thing that would make the tax more palatable to lower income people is not applying the tax to food items at grocery stores (maybe that is already the case? I know Missouri has a much lower tax on food than it does for sales in general). And I would suspect that the actual revenue generated by the tax would be greatly augmented by non Jackson County residents. There are so many draws and events in Jackson County that do not exist elsewhere in the metro plus all the sales tax generated by KCI restaurants.....
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:35 pm IN MY OPINION: If the vote fails, they will immediately start tearing down the buildings where they want the stadium to be, essentially forcing the hand of voters in the second vote. They will make the choice either a. stadium or b. dead zone.

Sorry, forgot to put 'in my opinion'.
Is this a joke? Voters in suburban Jackson County could absolutely care less if KC had a stadium size hole downtown.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ I think the biggest difference is the streetcar didn't require any buildings or existing businesses to go away or relocate.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:35 pm IN MY OPINION: If the vote fails, they will immediately start tearing down the buildings where they want the stadium to be, essentially forcing the hand of voters in the second vote. They will make the choice either a. stadium or b. dead zone.

Sorry, forgot to put 'in my opinion'.
Is this a joke? Voters in suburban Jackson County could absolutely care less if KC had a stadium size hole downtown.
You think this vote comes down to the suburbs?!