Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by FangKC »

langosta wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:25 pm i don't see a need to give the museum any more money/time/space. Love the history but do not like the owners muhc
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:22 pm I get the feeling that the arabia owners expected the city and the public to beg them to stay when they announced they were shopping around for new digs. Well, that didn’t happen and I think it demonstrates that not even the city sees it as much of a draw. Especially if they’re soliciting ideas for reusing the complex, essentially declaring that the museum will move whether it wants to or not
There are plenty of people doing business in Kansas City who are not well-liked. Should we boot them from operating in the City? Several of them regularly ask for all sorts of subsidized deals from the City, County, library, and school district.

The fact that the Hawleys haven't found another place to move their collection actually puts the City in a stronger negotiating position.

There's also no guarantee that the City will get any bid for the space other than a T-shirt/gift shop.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:30 am
langosta wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:25 pm i don't see a need to give the museum any more money/time/space. Love the history but do not like the owners muhc
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:22 pm I get the feeling that the arabia owners expected the city and the public to beg them to stay when they announced they were shopping around for new digs. Well, that didn’t happen and I think it demonstrates that not even the city sees it as much of a draw. Especially if they’re soliciting ideas for reusing the complex, essentially declaring that the museum will move whether it wants to or not
There are plenty of people doing business in Kansas City who are not well-liked. Should we boot them from operating in the City? Several of them regularly ask for all sorts of subsidized deals from the City, County, library, and school district.

The fact that the Hawleys haven't found another place to move their collection actually puts the City in a stronger negotiating position.

There's also no guarantee that the City will get any bid for the space other than a T-shirt/gift shop.
Museum seems to have protested other active uses in the market, Museum building and parking lot is ideal for mixed-use redevelopment. Museum needs a renovation and I doubt they are looking to foot the bill themselves given their attempts to build new. Construction is in a bad place but it sounds like no one else thought this museum was worth fighting for.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, they don't like concerts around because of the vibrations.

I don't think the museum fits there, and mixed use would be better. The request for ideas said up to 6 stories so there are lots of possibilities.

And lots of owners in the river market are dicks. I dunno if it's a requirement or what. The problem here is his ask is just massive and the neighborhood wants the space. Sometimes life's a bitch.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tribe closing (good, that place was not good), said to be reopening in 30 days by a james beard nominated female chef. Tio and Waldo Thai lady fit the bill. News from the Star.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Waldo Thai/Buck Tui has had a popup for another concept (Sandos Shack) the past few months in the Block 15 space across the street...
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

bspecht wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:29 am Looks like Tribe replacement will be called MuNi.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SZKzJDw4TpwyorXA6
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... ttachments
Also at https://www.instagram.com/muni.kansascity/

Not much to see yet.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

There is an application in early stages for a liquor store with the creative name of River Market Liquor, at 114 W 5th St. I believe this is the All Nations Flag location.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:46 am There is an application in early stages for a liquor store with the creative name of River Market Liquor, at 114 W 5th St. I believe this is the All Nations Flag location.
Do RM liquor licenses still get consent from adjacent property owners? Or did the city ditch that like they did in the loop?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

taxi wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:46 am There is an application in early stages for a liquor store with the creative name of River Market Liquor, at 114 W 5th St. I believe this is the All Nations Flag location.
Looks like All Nations consolidated in the past couple years, opening up the 114 space.

Dec 2023

Mar 2019
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:10 pm
Do RM liquor licenses still get consent from adjacent property owners? Or did the city ditch that like they did in the loop?
It is my understanding that they no longer require consents, anywhere. They send notices to neighboring building owners following the same radius rules as before but only accept comments, which they then take into consideration when deciding if the application may proceed.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

New FAA Language Increases Safety, Exciting Opportunities to Downtown
City Manager Brian Platt announces two updates to the Federal Aviation Administration’s guidelines which will allow Kansas City’s River Market neighborhood to reach new heights. These language amendments will allow for greater density in mixed use buildings for this neighborhood.
https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Components/Ne ... /2125/1746
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... affic.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Now open at 108 E. 5th St. (between Walnut and Grand).

Bo Lings owners adapt to lifestyle trends with new fast casual concept in River Market
Hours at Bo’s Kitchen are 11 a.m. to 8 p.m Tuesday to Thursday, 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Friday to Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.
https://www.startlandnews.com/2024/01/bos-kitchen/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Looks like new hair studio (head space?) going in at 5th and walnut. Last business there may have been that old dance club, can't remember it's name. MO conservation was in there for a time with an extension office too
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This building looks nice now that the windows are in and the gym is open. Now if only the building immediately south of it could get some love.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:50 pm This building looks nice now that the windows are in and the gym is open. Now if only the building immediately south of it could get some love.
It really bothers me how there is still weather wrap along the street, walked by it dozens of times the last few months. Otherwise it's a great refresh.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Did Susie ever sell the air filter business/building?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nope.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:05 pmNope.
Sigh. Pretty frustrating too since thanks to everyone else's good work in the area she will definitely make out well when she eventually does retire/sell.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

streetcar I guess didn't quite ruin her business.