Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:08 pm I have friends and family in Hyde Park, Valentine, Brookside, SKC, Raytown, Independence, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Grain Valley, Oak Grove etc. Most people I know that live in the county are currently a no vote.
If I remember correctly, weren't you a hardcore Kaufman renovation advocate back when we had those discussion on here?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:06 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:08 pm I have friends and family in Hyde Park, Valentine, Brookside, SKC, Raytown, Independence, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Grain Valley, Oak Grove etc. Most people I know that live in the county are currently a no vote.
If I remember correctly, weren't you a hardcore Kaufman renovation advocate back when we had those discussion on here?
Not at all lol. I was for the tax once the downtown stadium idea died though. I didn't see any other option. It seemed like it was down to staying at the TSC or moving the stadiums to Kansas. There was zero traction for a downtown stadium. Maybe it should have failed and KC could have gone the downtown route. But no, I have always been VERY pro downtown stadium.

I knew we would be right back here again in 15 years though.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:10 pm Not at all lol. I was for the tax once the downtown stadium idea died though. I didn't see any other option. It seemed like it was down to staying at the TSC or moving the stadiums to Kansas. There was zero traction for a downtown stadium. Maybe it should have failed and KC could have gone the downtown route. But no, I have always been VERY pro downtown stadium.

I knew we would be right back here again in 15 years though.
Maybe it was kcdcchef. I remember some poster who was in DC who had family in Eastern Jack who fought like crazy for that renovation. Wonder what their thoughts are now?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That would be chef, yeah. Dude was rabidly pro renovation to the point of he and his nemesis (who started this thread originally) getting banned for constantly shitposting back and forth iirc.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not sure how much kcdcchef was pro downtown stadium back then. He may have been more partial to Kauffman back then, but I'm pretty sure he was like me and vigilantly pushed for a downtown stadium till it became obvious that it just was not happening. Then just to keep the teams, he supported the renovation and kicking the can down the road.

Now he is avidly on social media supporting a downtown stadium alongside myself and others (go Anthony) and we all know there is no can to kick down the road this time. The Royals are not staying at Kauffman, too bad the general public doesn't seem to know this.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:26 pm That would be chef, yeah. Dude was rabidly pro renovation to the point of he and his nemesis (who started this thread originally) getting banned for constantly shitposting back and forth iirc.
Yeah, you may be right. He has changed to downtown stadium now though.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:27 pm I'm not sure how much kcdcchef was pro downtown stadium back then. He may have been more partial to Kauffman back then, but I'm pretty sure he was like me and vigilantly pushed for a downtown stadium till it became obvious that it just was not happening. Then just to keep the teams, he supported the renovation and kicking the can down the road.
Not how I remember it. His mom lived next to the stadiums or something and he had "memories". Probably the same for those voting no now.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think she worked as a ticket taker or something? I dunno, I got rid of all my social media or I'd ping him and ask. He's a surprisingly nice guy for being such a horrible troll on this forum specifically lol.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:56 pm Royals announced there will be QT ads on the jerseys now. Are they literally trying to turn everyone against them before the vote? WTF....
This is the MLB, not just the Royals.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

There is a way to do this without the vote if the city wants to be the main backer and Jackson county lets the royals out of the existing lease early.

Easier hill to climb on one front but you know KCT and others will come with knives out. They do that for anything that’s not affordable housing. Same group doesn’t think it matters were tenants get their income. Sure! Pay me cash every month even though you don’t work and I’m expect to rent to you no questions asked.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Highlander wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 pm
Unfortunately, that is the necessity for most franchises in a small markets unless you have owners with extremely deep pockets and KC does not have that. The alternative is just to let the free market take its course and have baseball only in the largest markets in the US. There are several cities that have baseball teams that are essentially demographic anachronisms and we unfortunately happen to be one of them.
I understand. Seems like a lot of people understand as well and are fine taking the chance.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:43 pm
dnweava wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:56 pm Royals announced there will be QT ads on the jerseys now. Are they literally trying to turn everyone against them before the vote? WTF....
The Star (and plenty of other newspapers) started printing ads on the front page in the mid-2000s. Twenty years later, they're essentially gone. Does correlation = causation? Is it a proper comparison? No idea, but it was the first thing that came to mind.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Sani wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:15 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:43 pm
The Star (and plenty of other newspapers) started printing ads on the front page in the mid-2000s. Twenty years later, they're essentially gone. Does correlation = causation? Is it a proper comparison? No idea, but it was the first thing that came to mind.
We can blame soccer! They started this, NBA followed suit and now the MLB. Only a matter of time before the NFL can't resist the money.

I don't like any of it and the Royals PR/Marketing teams are really killing it lately on piss poor timing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If they announce QT is taking over the Sinclair across from the new stadium site everybody will vote yes

QT ad doesn't bother me a bit, every team is doing it And I love QT
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

NHL added ads during Covid to help mitigate loses from no ticket sales. Of course the ads are still on the uniforms…
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I don’t mind the ads, but soccer jersey ads aren’t different colors like the red QT on a blue Royals uniform. Seems a bit distracting.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

So, they were in attendance at last nights RSVP only meeting.

"It's a neighborhood ballpark," said Sarah Tourville, the Kansas City Royals' executive vice president and chief commercial impact officer. "We recognize this and have empathy for the people that have uncertainty and unanswered questions. And we're committed to having those conversations on an individual basis. We think people are generally really excited to keep both the Kansas City Royals and the Chiefs and Jackson County for years to come. And we're excited for that April 2nd vote."

The Royals say that they are empathetic to the voice and concerns of these businesses and residents, but at the same time, they are looking forward to having the tax extension approved and moving forward with a ballpark they say the city and the team needs.

Royals officials attended a meeting of Crossroads businesses to listen and learn from them.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It's a little hard to reconcile what they are trying to project with what they're actually saying.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If they REALLY wanted to blend into the neighborhood, why not take a cue from a similar situation at PetCo Park where they kept a 4 story Western Metal building and built it into the design. Everybody jokes on the UHaul going away but there is a handsome 6 story building sitting right there that could be reused. Things that THAT show you are really trying to blend into the neighborhood. This building is on the edge of the "village" piece so no constraints on it being in the way of the stadium.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/sAZneihC4SbKk3Vq5

Something PNL failed to do and I wish we would have barked harder for it.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

^ PNL saved what deserved to be saved. Midland Theatre, Mainstreet Theatre and Hilton President. A massive amount of the budget went for that as well. There’s simply nothing in this section of East Crossroads worth the hassle and massive expense of saving.

Btw. The president of the save the crossroads movement isn’t telling the complete truth and is using it to manipulate the vote even more. She’s also using her overall political stance as a tool for the cause.