NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think a specific peculiarity is how little has developed along the existing streetcar line over the 7 years it’s been running. Some rehab, some new businesses, but still huge swaths of parking lots and undercooked urban spaces around the stops. And with a wildly successful streetcar at that
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:25 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:32 pm
KC_Ari wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:05 pm It will keep coming back to F500/1000 type companies not having headquarters or major offices in downtown KC. If one or multiple of those companies moved workers to KC, then all of these projects would suddenly become much more viable.
Totally agree. I think jobs nearby are what are driving most of the towers in other cities. Even post pandemic, getting a major corporation to return to downtown from the suburbs should be a top priority.

It would be nice if the stadium came with such a move. Similar to H&R Block being part of the P&L District (even though they moved from the plaza area and not the suburbs).
KC has a chicken and egg problem. All that would be great but KC also has a residential issue. The apartments and condo's downtown are relatively niche market. Where do you live as an upper middle class family south of the river in KCMO? The schools are a huge impediment. The nicer areas of KCMO south have extremely limited housing supply and gentrification is on such a slow scale that newer family residential remains sparse and patchy. KC really has limited area to accommodate the kind of inner belt housing you see in Denver or Houston; not without massive gentrification and the city seems resistant to any gentrification at all. So you have young people, people who don't have kids and more adventurous empty nesters as your urban market while most white collar families live in KC North and Johnson County.
This post really lines up with my thinking. When I am in Denver, to take one example, a walk from downtown in multiple directions will take you through moderately dense urban neighborhoods that run farther than you'd ultimately care to walk. In KC, our neighborhoods are often smaller, less dense, and I would argue "patchier" in their development. Even Longfellow, which is within Greater Downtown and has seen huge rises in sales price has lots of properties in need of rehab, several vacant lots, and a limited but growing set of nearby amenities. Outside of downtown, urban neighborhoods tend to lack significant amenities (in particular grocery stores). That is changing a little, but I find it a real impediment when I think about where I might like to live beyond downtown. As I have gotten a little older and life has evolved, I see some of the appeal to places like Brookside and Waldo which, while mostly SFHs, have centers you can somewhat walk to and take care of daily needs (nevermind the atrocious intersection of 75th and Wornall :-D )
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

langosta wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:18 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:04 pm I thought 3 light was commanding downtown LA -level prices? Per the 3 light thread.
A residential/mixed use skyscraper in downtown KC would probably kill it, we just have a breed of developers in this city that are roughly 40 years behind the present and won’t test the waters until they’ve had a dozen experiments conducted to prove that the temperature is fine
I think the person who posted that was quickly ripped apart. Size of market is also pretty important. KC luxury market is pretty think compared to a city with 10x GDP size.
I flipped through those posts and I’m not seeing where anyone was “quickly ripped apart” so I’m not sure what you refer to
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Is anyone here honestly surprised this fell through?

Our local government must actively pursue strategies to attract corporations to establish offices or headquarters in or near downtown. This proactive approach is crucial for maintaining our upward trajectory. While our city shows promise, progress may be hindered without a significant influx of corporate entities.

Drawing a parallel with Austin's success in the 1990s during the tech boom, we find ourselves approximately 10-15 years behind their trajectory, despite being smaller overall. Austin's growth can be attributed not only to a robust job market but also to factors such as affordable living costs, a vibrant atmosphere, charm, and an influx of residents from states like California and New York.

To emulate this success, we have to continue to enhance the appeal of our downtown area. Initiatives like downtown baseball and the development of the cap park are critical elements in sustaining our progress. These enhancements not only contribute to the overall charm but also play a key role in attracting corporate tenants.

Addressing concerns about our education system is equally crucial. Many individuals opt to leave the downtown area as their children approach school age due to the lack of legitimate, high-quality educational options. Improving and expanding educational offerings for downtown residents will not only retain current residents but also attract new families, contributing to the overall vitality and growth of our community. The lack of new condo's could also have a negative impact on retaining families or more investment minded individuals who love the downtown culture, yet don't want to piss away money each month on rent when they can afford to buy.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Austin:
- State Capital
- Large University
- No State income Tax + a state that funds events that enhance the city’s national reputation (SXSW and ACL To name two).

Honestly, having to fight with two states (that have in my lifetime not been largely helpful to the city) is a major drag.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Let’s not be oblivious here. The developer is responsible for this falling through, not the city.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:13 am Let’s not be oblivious here. The developer is responsible for this falling through, not the city.
I know I’m not implying this particular failure is the cities fault. I am implying the lack of corporate interest in our downtown is though. I’d place blame on the state as well for not being as competitive as possible with Kansas.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:00 am Is anyone here honestly surprised this fell through?
Once the issues with LuxLiving were revealed and slow downs started occurring at other Lux projects in KC, I figured this project would be toast. It was pretty ambitious. I was hoping there would be enough interest or momentum that someone would pick it up and run with it but even that seems pretty unlikely now. I'm just hoping Lux's other projects reach completion.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm most worried about Lux Living's project on Broadway not being finished.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:46 pm I'm most worried about Lux Living's project on Broadway not being finished.
Most worried about Katz

Haven’t seen any work yet on the historic part of the structure
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Saw something like insulation or membrane on the inside walls
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Real estate agent for plot has quarter page add with aerial and street photos in main section of KC Star. First time I have seen real estate add in Star in many years.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ nice AI generated image of the KC skyline.

Sucks, since this will be a way to get around paying photographers. Why you would use such a blatantly fake photo of a city in marketing material is beyond me though.

Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

GRID wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:56 pm ^ nice AI generated image of the KC skyline.

Sucks, since this will be a way to get around paying photographers. Why you would use such a blatantly fake photo of a city in marketing material is beyond me though.

Looks like Minneapolis. :lol:
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

That's what I thought at first.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I think in the mid foreground on the left are shapes interpreted from the Bartle pylons and a bulbous KCPA. If AI is gonna design buildings we are doomed.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Minneapolis merged with atlanta. Does not look like KC lol
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

It got the over abundance of highways in the foreground spot on though!
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Bids were due to Hilco last week. Hopefully there was a sufficient bid by a legitimate developer such that seller Red Oak accepts and this parcel can get moving again (to state the obvious).