Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:30 pm ...the businesses inside the blast zone are certainly victims of a corporate-led taxpayer-funded replacement.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I've been told that Oak and Truman still run through the site but are "tunneled" instead of being open. If that's the case, keep Truman a tunnel and make Oak open-air. That would resolve that concern, but it shouldn't be open on game days.

The highway park would be a good contender to redirect some sales tax money to. A public infrastructure component like that receiving some public sales tax money would likely win over some more people.

Any of the new-construction buildings on the eastern side of the stadium will certainly see a major redesign prior to construction since Populous's area of expertise isn't in building housing or hotels. They're just there for show right now. For that reason alone, I could see at least one of those buildings (specifically office) rising with the stadium with the others coming over time and likely with a preferred partner.

Development outside the stadium is appearing to trickle in long-before anything happens thanks to 1531 Holmes and the 9-story mixed-use building planned next to Parlor at the southeast corner of 17th and Locust. Those are small projects in comparison, but start chipping away at the industrial usages to the east of Oak. Build mixed-use buildings in that corner of the neighborhood.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'm told Axiom has been hired to run the campaign, fresh off of his DeSantis failure. Good times.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:47 pm I'm told Axiom has been hired to run the campaign, fresh off of his DeSantis failure. Good times.
To be fair, it’s hard to not place that on DeSantis primarily…
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:04 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:47 pm I'm told Axiom has been hired to run the campaign, fresh off of his DeSantis failure. Good times.
To be fair, it’s hard to not place that on DeSantis primarily…
Ahem, Ted Cruz would like to have a word.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So you're telling me there's a chance?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Axiom Vs whoever the “save the K” people have hired. This is going to get interesting real fast.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:19 pm Axiom Vs whoever the “save the K” people have hired. This is going to get interesting real fast.
I'm honestly interested to see the selling points each make. For the "Save the K" people, I'd like to see something of substance from them than just pure NIMBYism and reluctance to change. From the teams, I'd like them to push hard on their plans, make clear promises, and promote the economic side of the argument. Bring it on.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If oak is tunneled, is there still an issue with it?

Spent some time in downtown KC today with another person touring both sites again. I still think the star location is better, but I really do see what people are concerned about with the destruction of buildings and businesses. This is such a tough call. For me I think it still comes down to the details. What will be built along with the stadium etc.

If this vote were to fail, would the Royals walk away from the star location and EV would then become the chosen site for some other vote, or would the Royals just walk away from downtown all together? With all these cities wanting MLB teams now more than ever, I just think KC would be taking quite a risk voting this down.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Deleted
Last edited by WoodDraw on Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't think anyone is being particularly insufferable, or at least it hasn't escalated to that point yet unless I just missed it (or 30+ years on the internet has numbed me), but let's please try to ensure it doesn't get there.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Just woke up and checked the Facebook feed and friends of mine sharing outright ridiculous and bordering on aggressive anti stadium propaganda and these people I'd consider dyed in the wool Democrat voters. Just goes to show how embedded the suburban mentality is in this city and a near ignorance regarding the situation.

Also Resurrection again doesn't look like it will be any barrier to the land acquisition process. One of the leadership sent out a statement basically saying they feel the Royals have the interests of the church in mind and God's will will ensure the process will take care of them.....although I also hear the membership base are overwhelmingly unhappy with this. They believe they should be offered an alternative site to develop as part of the deal.

Even with the Chiefs part of this I don't see any certainty that this passes. They have clear opposition from both ends of the political and cultural spectrum.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:06 am Just woke up and checked the Facebook feed and friends of mine sharing outright ridiculous and bordering on aggressive anti stadium propaganda and these people I'd consider dyed in the wool Democrat voters. Just goes to show how embedded the suburban mentality is in this city and a near ignorance regarding the situation.

Also Resurrection again doesn't look like it will be any barrier to the land acquisition process. One of the leadership sent out a statement basically saying they feel the Royals have the interests of the church in mind and God's will will ensure the process will take care of them.....although I also hear the membership base are overwhelmingly unhappy with this. They believe they should be offered an alternative site to develop as part of the deal.

Even with the Chiefs part of this I don't see any certainty that this passes. They have clear opposition from both ends of the political and cultural spectrum.
Self inflicted. By choosing EC they have antagonized a demographic that would otherwise support downtown baseball.

Put it back in the EV and that problem goes away.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:38 am If oak is tunneled, is there still an issue with it?

Spent some time in downtown KC today with another person touring both sites again. I still think the star location is better, but I really do see what people are concerned about with the destruction of buildings and businesses. This is such a tough call. For me I think it still comes down to the details. What will be built along with the stadium etc.

If this vote were to fail, would the Royals walk away from the star location and EV would then become the chosen site for some other vote, or would the Royals just walk away from downtown all together? With all these cities wanting MLB teams now more than ever, I just think KC would be taking quite a risk voting this down.
If this fails, EV is not an option. NKC or a different city would be the only two options.

I’ve not heard them say anything about leaving KC and think it’s a long shot, but NKC is option two. What a disappointment that would be. To save a few businesses that won’t be open anyway by the time the NKC project would open.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:50 am
Rusty Irish wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:06 am Just woke up and checked the Facebook feed and friends of mine sharing outright ridiculous and bordering on aggressive anti stadium propaganda and these people I'd consider dyed in the wool Democrat voters. Just goes to show how embedded the suburban mentality is in this city and a near ignorance regarding the situation.

Self inflicted. By choosing EC they have antagonized a demographic that would otherwise support downtown baseball.

The thing is, all the negativity is based off of lies. Sure, there’s some concern about the businesses that would need to relocate but most of the outrage is based on flat out false information. The biggest one being that tax payers are going to pay for the village portion and it’s a plot for John Sherman to make more money. We know the village will be privately funded and the revenue it generates will go back into the team.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

The Royals renderings release didn’t exactly delineate who was going to fund what so I would lay at least partial responsibility for false information on the Royals and lack of information. I haven’t seen any follow up news conferences explaining things, maybe I missed it.

Most people I talked to think the tax and Royals are paying for the highway cap along with all the “village” buildings. Meaning it will all be built at the same time and ready to go on opening day.

And this is absolutely going to make Sherman and the owners richer. Taxpayers fund a brand new stadium in a MUCH more valuable location for the team. If the team never spends a penny to develop the village portion the team is still instantly more valuable based on the stadium. Taxpayers don’t get a portion of the profits when the team is sold.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What “village”? I didn’t see that in the renderings. There’s a hotel and a residential building along with sone Royals office. There’s definitely not a billion dollars spent with that portion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:38 am If oak is tunneled, is there still an issue with it?

this vote has the Chiefs with them, it's not failing. that's why we're pushing so hard for good design and quickly. We know how fast it flips from "too early to talk about that level of detail" (actually posted here) to "sorry too late" in these discussions.

If Oak is truly tunneled I have much less concerns for sure. That doesn't seem like something KC pulls off though. Will Homeland Security allow something like that, guess it would be closed during games so maybe so?

My biggest concern which I don't think could ever been satisfied with this location is the long term effects of the businesses within a quarter mile of the perimeter of the stadium site. Crossroads is by far my favorite downtown neighborhood and the businesses that could be impacted (Casual Animal, Novel, Tannin, Belfry to name a few) would really change the neighborhood for the worse. My second biggest concern is those businesses directly impacted and how they will at all be assisted. The Pairings, KobiQ, Chartreuse Salon, Green Dirt, etc. My heart goes out to them and the Royals/city need to make some very big and public assistance to them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:03 am
grovester wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:50 am

The thing is, all the negativity is based off of lies. Sure, there’s some concern about the businesses that would need to relocate but most of the outrage is based on flat out false information. The biggest one being that tax payers are going to pay for the village portion and it’s a plot for John Sherman to make more money. We know the village will be privately funded and the revenue it generates will go back into the team.
What "lies"? "some concern"? Read the room my man.

the royals will buy up private land, correct? That private land right now pays property taxes. The Royals will then turn over that land ownership to the county, correct? The county doesn't pay property taxes. What is that annual drop in tax revenue? How will that be offset?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

If Oak "tunnels" similar to 13th under the convention center I'd be cool with that. I'd rather it not look like 14th under the CC or lower Wacker Chicago which are not pedestrian friendly.