Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by dnweava »

stadium design capital of the world and that's what we come up with... ugh..... literally the only thing I like about it is the extension of the highway cap
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

dnweava wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:25 pm FUCK. THAT. PLAN.

Keep oak open
Here you go, Northland buddy

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So we will be closing Grand, Walnut and Oak through downtown? 30%of the through street? 40% if you count Main with the streetcar?
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

That is it? Absolutely disgusting. Vote this bullshit down.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:34 pm The stadium doesn’t even face downtown and the pool deck of a residential building is not an “entertainment area”. Killing Oak and Grand being packed will mean all normal traffic is sitting right on the streetcar lane.

Cordish should release the city from their bond requirements for P&L as part of this plan. We’ve spent so much money subsidizing their development with T-Mobile money and now this. They should be able to get by without that public money.
There's an amazing view of the downtown skyline from inside the stadium.

And your suggestion is par for the course. Complete bullshit.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

You people are I-N-S-A-N-E if you don't vibe with this. There's *no other city* that has this much density, activity & towers 360 around their given stadium. Maybe Wrigley...this is iconic.

It just makes downtown KC look huge and important to just off a glance.
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

KC_Ari wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:53 pm That is it? Absolutely disgusting. Vote this bullshit down.
I don’t get this. What’s the problem? It seems pretty minimally disruptive, compliments and expands the South Loop cap, doesn’t create an additional restaurant district to compete with the Crossroads, melds into the existing parking infrastructure with no added waste, and looks to have a hell of a view with the skyline looming behind the stadium.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So we will be closing Grand, Walnut and Oak through downtown? 30%of the through street? 40% if you count Main with the streetcar?

Don't like the brick exterior. Love the fountains (will they work in the batters eye?). Upper deck is much smaller, which is good.

Fences look short. Would love to know the dimensions.

Scoreboard in center field and not a gratuitous use of LED panels are good.

On closer examination the fountains look like LED boards. hope that's not the case and just poor renderings.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC is the way to be!
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Hoping we get some real hard questions from journalists before this finishes about existing tenants and not some bs about the Chiefs or Taylor Swift.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

With the stadium in this location i think you have a better opportunity to run Shuttles from the various bar districts. Westport, Plaza, North KC, Martini Corner, Strawberry Hill could all run shuttles around from the various bars. You park in westport drink a little at the westport bar and a shuttle comes to drop you off and pick you up. They do this in Milwaukee and Detroit around various points/districts and I really like it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:11 pm With the stadium in this location i think you have a better opportunity to run Shuttles from the various bar districts. Westport, Plaza, North KC, Martini Corner, Strawberry Hill could all run shuttles around from the various bars. You park in westport drink a little at the westport bar and a shuttle comes to drop you off and pick you up. They do this in Milwaukee and Detroit around various points/districts and I really like it.
Wouldn't you just get on the streetcar from the Plaza and Westport?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Overall, this seems pretty detached from reality for the vote and will be rolled back considerably once they've gotten all the approvals.

The office, residential and hotel will probably just be a parking garage. If that stuff isn't built along with the stadium then it's not happening.

I feel like that pedestrian bridge is just vaporware BS and will disappear from the plans relatively quickly, right? I mean, what is it connecting? The outfield with the exterior wall of T-Mobile Center? Why do those two things need a bridge connecting them?

There's also a 0% chance the cap park goes all the way to Locust, right? Who is paying for that and why?

Closing Oak just isn't acceptable. Narrow it and run in under the stadium. Maybe that's happening, it's hard to tell. The overhead shot shows Oak clearly represented over the cap but not in the renderings. The buildings are oriented like there's a street there but I don't see it.

I love that the main entrance to the park is directly across the street from the sketchiest gas station in downtown which won't be changing anytime soon unless the Royals buy it to put in parking.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:13 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:11 pm With the stadium in this location i think you have a better opportunity to run Shuttles from the various bar districts. Westport, Plaza, North KC, Martini Corner, Strawberry Hill could all run shuttles around from the various bars. You park in westport drink a little at the westport bar and a shuttle comes to drop you off and pick you up. They do this in Milwaukee and Detroit around various points/districts and I really like it.
Wouldn't you just get on the streetcar from the Plaza and Westport?
Streetcar might take a long time and with the shuttles u could just keep drinking on them, I think it's legal to drink in a moving vehicle in Missouri
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:26 pm Overall, this seems pretty detached from reality for the vote and will be rolled back considerably once they've gotten all the approvals.

The office, residential and hotel will probably just be a parking garage. If that stuff isn't built along with the stadium then it's not happening.

I feel like that pedestrian bridge is just vaporware BS and will disappear from the plans relatively quickly, right? I mean, what is it connecting? The outfield with the exterior wall of T-Mobile Center? Why do those two things need a bridge connecting them?

There's also a 0% chance the cap park goes all the way to Locust, right? Who is paying for that and why?

Closing Oak just isn't acceptable. Narrow it and run in under the stadium. Maybe that's happening, it's hard to tell. The overhead shot shows Oak clearly represented over the cap but not in the renderings. The buildings are oriented like there's a street there but I don't see it.

I love that the main entrance to the park is directly across the street from the sketchiest gas station in downtown which won't be changing anytime soon unless the Royals buy it to put in parking.
The highway cap and pedestrian bridge will be as iconic as the rolling roof at TSC. (I kid). But I would put money on the pond in the NW corner becoming a paved plaza in the first three years.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

There will be many ways fans will end up on the street level but the bridge over Truman is clutch to help provide a nice, safe way for fans to move about without needing to cross at Truman Street level.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:42 pm There will be many ways fans will end up on the street level but the bridge over Truman is clutch to help provide a nice, safe way for fans to move about without needing to cross at Truman Street level.
The bridge is key to funnel people to the door of your overlords watering hole, nothing more.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Keep drunks off the street for safety.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:42 pm There will be many ways fans will end up on the street level but the bridge over Truman is clutch to help provide a nice, safe way for fans to move about without needing to cross at Truman Street level.
Sorry man, but the bridge sucks, and you know I am inclined towards this site.

Let me be more polite. I think in this situation, you will have some ticketholders who use the bridge, but many who just cross at street level. In that scenario, you will still need event day traffic control at street level which makes the bridge redundant.