Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Sani »

Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:11 pm Lots of online opposition now from the urban vote from what I see in addition to the expected suburban vote complaining about crime and parking.

The renderings and the details better be good today or this is by no means a certainty to be voted through even piggy backing onto the Chiefs.
The wait for a real plan from the Royals has been frustrating on its own, but I'd really like to hear details on what the Chiefs plan to do with Arrowhead and the Truman Sports Complex as a while once the Royals move downtown. It has to be more than just maintaining Arrowhead. We need to see some sort of destination solution in the works, because I think that would do a lot to drum up support, or at least prevent a lot of negativity toward the vote, if that makes sense.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:31 pm I've enjoyed following the debate throughout this thread. Excited to see what the Royals have come up with. To me, the design/plan will make or break this; they need to follow through on whatever they promise moving forward, including ancillary development and/or cap park integration.

I actually think the constraints around the Crossroads site might result in a better plan than EV, but I guess we shall see soon enough. On to the announcement!
This captures my feeling about Crossroads. I think this could be good, but also very reasonable to remain a bit skeptical.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:00 pm well the wait is over and local media is reporting the Crossroads site will be the new location for the stadium. Glad they have made their decision finally and will be able to provide some definitive information, renderings, etc.

This spot is not my favorite, as I feel it will detract from what the Crossroads is as a unique neighborhood and "district" with Kansas City. With the stadium as a neighbor the whole area will now be more "corporatized" and some of the charm will either bee washed away completely or muted to the background.

I'm happy and excited for downtown baseball and I will be super excited to attend games and enjoy the new game day experience with it being downtown.

I'm just frustrated that a site like the EV will again be overlooked and left to be vacant and bare for more decades to come. IMO a big swing and miss for the EV and now it will remain a huge gaping sore in what will otherwise be a a gorgeous and vibrant downtown. Hopefully I'm wrong and we will start to see movement in the EV and the Paseo West neighborhoods. Along with redesign & development of the East loop. There is potential there and the city really needs to look East and look to the Northern edge of downtown for development. Plenty of vacant properties, vacant lots, and parking sites that could be developed.

A happy and sad day for sure to be announced around 2:30pm. Go Royals!
I think it's ultimately a better location than East Village. I've spent a lot of time walking around downtown lately trying to envision what a visitor downtown would experience with either location and I felt like the EC location will provide a much better experience. With the cap, it's going to be a pretty unique setting in itself so I don't think it hurts the Crossroad's uniqueness. The breweries and restaurants aren't going away and I doubt if a lot of chains come rolling in to cozy up to the stadium as the nice part of the location is that those chains are already easily accessible in the P&L district which provides them a more 365 days per year environment in which to survive. Parking is going to be an issue and I hope new surface lots do not emerge; that's the critical concern for me.

Its a bummer that EV will remain a surface lot. But I suspect that would mostly be the case even with a stadium.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

my 2 cents:

I think the Crossroads location will yield a more successful outcome for the stadium and downtown. We have all thought about EV as the site for years now but ultimately I am confident it would simply be another underutilized island of low activity in KC. There is no reason, post-COVID, to think that a billion dollar "entertainment district" etc would actually happen in the EV. Placing the stadium near the P+L, Loop Cap, and closer to the heart of the action bodes MUCH better for synergies to maximize prior (and ongoing) investments in P&L, Sprint Center, etc.

I have very serious concerns about the execution of the Crossroads location. I hope and assume they can surgically place the stadium between Truman and 16th, Grand to Oak, and avoid totally detonating the surrounding area. also hoping for smart parking solutions. It is a bummer to lose the strip on Grand but if otherwise done well it is probably "worth it."

Granted I do not live in the Xroads, but at this point that extreme north end abutting the South Loop feels more of a piece with the CBD/P+L (and, soon, South Loop park) than the Xroads further S/SE/SW. I know we're only talking a matter of a few blocks but i dont really see this totally changing the Crossroads as a metro-wide destination for arts, dining, etc. The Crossroads lost its edgy, bohemian feel long ago -- which is lamentable -- but locating the K in this location makes sense. I also echo earlier comments that this is a good way to delete the KC Star building which is and would continue to be an albatross forever.

Re: social media - There will of course be very vocal haters on Twitter or FB but ultimately I think most voters and even most downtowners see this as a good, if imperfect, solution. There is no scenario in which a project like this will please everyone.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:01 pm I think it's ultimately a better location than East Village. I've spent a lot of time walking around downtown lately trying to envision what a visitor downtown would experience with either location and I felt like the EC location will provide a much better experience. With the cap, it's going to be a pretty unique setting in itself so I don't think it hurts the Crossroad's uniqueness. The breweries and restaurants aren't going away and I doubt if a lot of chains come rolling in to cozy up to the stadium as the nice part of the location is that those chains are already easily accessible in the P&L district which provides them a more 365 days per year environment in which to survive. Parking is going to be an issue and I hope new surface lots do not emerge; that's the critical concern for me.

Its a bummer that EV will remain a surface lot. But I suspect that would mostly be the case even with a stadium.
You summed up my thoughts well.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

chrizow wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 pm my 2 cents:

I think the Crossroads location will yield a more successful outcome for the stadium and downtown. We have all thought about EV as the site for years now but ultimately I am confident it would simply be another underutilized island of low activity in KC. There is no reason, post-COVID, to think that a billion dollar "entertainment district" etc would actually happen in the EV. Placing the stadium near the P+L, Loop Cap, and closer to the heart of the action bodes MUCH better for synergies to maximize prior (and ongoing) investments in P&L, Sprint Center, etc.

I have very serious concerns about the execution of the Crossroads location. I hope and assume they can surgically place the stadium between Truman and 16th, Grand to Oak, and avoid totally detonating the surrounding area. also hoping for smart parking solutions. It is a bummer to lose the strip on Grand but if otherwise done well it is probably "worth it."

Granted I do not live in the Xroads, but at this point that extreme north end abutting the South Loop feels more of a piece with the CBD/P+L (and, soon, South Loop park) than the Xroads further S/SE/SW. I know we're only talking a matter of a few blocks but i dont really see this totally changing the Crossroads as a metro-wide destination for arts, dining, etc. The Crossroads lost its edgy, bohemian feel long ago -- which is lamentable -- but locating the K in this location makes sense. I also echo earlier comments that this is a good way to delete the KC Star building which is and would continue to be an albatross forever.

Re: social media - There will of course be very vocal haters on Twitter or FB but ultimately I think most voters and even most downtowners see this as a good, if imperfect, solution. There is no scenario in which a project like this will please everyone.
Nailed it
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:14 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:00 pm well the wait is over and local media is reporting the Crossroads site will be the new location for the stadium. Glad they have made their decision finally and will be able to provide some definitive information, renderings, etc.

This spot is not my favorite, as I feel it will detract from what the Crossroads is as a unique neighborhood and "district" with Kansas City. With the stadium as a neighbor the whole area will now be more "corporatized" and some of the charm will either bee washed away completely or muted to the background.

I'm happy and excited for downtown baseball and I will be super excited to attend games and enjoy the new game day experience with it being downtown.

I'm just frustrated that a site like the EV will again be overlooked and left to be vacant and bare for more decades to come. IMO a big swing and miss for the EV and now it will remain a huge gaping sore in what will otherwise be a a gorgeous and vibrant downtown. Hopefully I'm wrong and we will start to see movement in the EV and the Paseo West neighborhoods. Along with redesign & development of the East loop. There is potential there and the city really needs to look East and look to the Northern edge of downtown for development. Plenty of vacant properties, vacant lots, and parking sites that could be developed.

A happy and sad day for sure to be announced around 2:30pm. Go Royals!
Can I just say thank you for being positive! I appreciate this isn’t everyone’s ideal location but I think it’s sad to see so many people talking trash and calling it a disaster amongst other things.

We are getting downtown baseball! We get to see a brand new stadium go up in our lifetimes. There’s so much more to be excited about even if it’s not everyone’s favorite landing spot.

I do think EV will see movement. They simply can’t afford to sit on that investment much longer.
you are welcome, and thank you for your patience and being a reasonable "centric" driven commenter. I know you get it from both sides at times and you are just delivering the news, and sometimes people don't like what they hear :)

At least we know it factual and or as factual as you and your contacts are in the know.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

My hope is they build it from the Star Printing Press East for the most part and leave the businesses fronting Grand alone. I would rather see those businesses really get a chance to grow and or reinvent themselves to venues more in tune with the public that will be down there 82 games from April-SEPT
Last edited by dukuboy1 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The anti-Crossroad urbanist people on twitter are so annoying. Dear God just chill out.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:05 pm The anti-Crossroad urbanist people on twitter are so annoying. Dear God just chill out.
Lots of room for skepticism at this point (still pre-announcement) but the idea that we need to light it all on fire before we've even seen a detail is just like, a level of vigor I no longer possess.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think that bridge over the 670 cap park could be iconic
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Where is Oak going? Under the complex? The view is centered directly on AT&T.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

FUCK. THAT. PLAN.

Keep oak open
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:20 pm Where is Oak going? Under the complex? The view is centered directly on AT&T.
New hi-rise buildings will block the view of ATT.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Oh man, skepticism warranted. What is with the bridge? Kansas City will you never learn to put pedestrians at street level.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Holly cow, I love the renderings so far. Wow.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No high rise in between stadium and AT&T shown. Why a ped bridge over a park?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

smh wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:26 pm Oh man, skepticism warranted. What is with the bridge? Kansas City will you never learn to put pedestrians at street level.
I get what you mean but in this case I’m good with that bridge because otherwise you’re staring into the abyss of a highway looking East, the bridge covers that. For when you’re walking at that park.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The stadium doesn’t even face downtown and the pool deck of a residential building is not an “entertainment area”. Killing Oak and Grand being packed will mean all normal traffic is sitting right on the streetcar lane.

Cordish should release the city from their bond requirements for P&L as part of this plan. We’ve spent so much money subsidizing their development with T-Mobile money and now this. They should be able to get by without that public money.