Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

Funny they leaked it between the Superbowl and parade. 😂
bricknose
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bricknose »

From Sam McDowell at the KC Star, it sounds like the announcement will be for the Crossroads.
EDIT: Source: KC Star
At last, the Royals’ vision of downtown baseball has settled on an exact location.
The Royals on Tuesday will announce their intentions to build a stadium in the Crossroads District in downtown Kansas City, multiple sources told The Star. They will publicize the plans, including renderings, during a 2:30 p.m. news conference at Kauffman Stadium, their current home.
Their proposed new ballpark location would, in some fashion, incorporate the former Kansas City Star Press Pavilion at 1601 McGee Street along downtown’s south loop, a close neighbor to the Power & Light District. The connection to the two districts would be fostered by the ongoing plans for a new $200 million park over Interstate 670.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... rylink=cpy
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It turned into what I said earlier, them all partnering to do less.

Royals got out of having to do development
Cordish got out of having a competing developer/district
Star building got out of a shitty investment

Whatever, it's all bullshit. The city will be significantly worse off for the decisions made recently.

There's an embargo out which I'll respect, but I'll have thoughts tomorrow.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I hope you are wrong about the Royals not doing any development.
“create additional fan amenities on all three levels. We’ll also do some things in the parking lots that will make the tailgating experience better.”
Doesn't sound like the Chiefs are going to do much either.

It would make more sense for both teams to release plans at the same time. That way people can see what will replace Kauffman.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Meh, you'll hear about development. Especially the cap and the interconnection between districts and blah.

Whether you choose to believe it is up to you. I didn't believe it in the EV and I don't believe it here now..
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:21 pm It turned into what I said earlier, them all partnering to do less.

Whatever, it's all bullshit. The city will be significantly worse off for the decisions made recently.

^ I'm with this. Huge disappointment.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:57 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:21 pm It turned into what I said earlier, them all partnering to do less.

Huge disappointment? Why, because it’s not your preferred location?

This will prove to be the best location and decision but a few of you will still hate on it even after it works out. This is going to be a great fan experience, so much better than what it would have been in EV.

They’ll still be investing nearly a billion into their own village but it just won’t have a bunch of the same thing PNL and Crossroads already have.

We are getting rid of a huge building that wouldn’t ever sell to be repurposed.

It will drive more traffic and revenue to help pay for bonds that were utilized to build PNL.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:07 pm

This will prove to be the best location and decision but a few of you will still hate on it even after it works out. This is going to be a great fan experience, so much better than what it would have been in EV.

They’ll still be investing nearly a billion into their own village but it just won’t have a bunch of the same thing PNL and Crossroads already have.

It will drive more traffic and revenue to help pay for bonds that were utilized to build PNL.
If anyone needs any more confirmation from what I've said before...

This is an agreement between cordish and the royals and the city.

Don't get too excited for that billion dollar investment. Think very similar to cordish, as in promise and delay.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

The $B is a unicorn that will never happen. The office and residential buildings just won't happen because there just isn't enough room for what they initially proposed. Sure, the Cordish buildings on Main will likely happen, but they were supposed to happen anyway. EV will be dead for decades. I also was hoping for a competitor to Cordish that would drive better design and quicker build. That won't happen. It's a hard no for me and I'm second guessing the direction of this town. Perhaps you have to move to what you want instead of hoping that where you are now will turn into what you dream it could be.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’m just curious to see the vision for the stadium at this point. It’s been hyped up to me over the past week and I’m interested in seeing it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:37 pm I’m just curious to see the vision for the stadium at this point. It’s been hyped up to me over the past week and I’m interested in seeing it.
Even if it's been surrounded by parking lots?

We were promised the same thing with Sprint center and you know the lots around it.

I'm surprised you're not more annoyed by this half baked plan.

I love to see what our architects can do, but this isn't that stage.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 pm

Don't get too excited for that billion dollar investment. Think very similar to cordish, as in promise and delay.
Promise and delay? What are you talking about? A master development agreement is a long term development plan. What has been promised and not delivered on?

I’m not sure why you’re so pessimistic about this but you’re clearly only speculating and have no actual knowledge. You didn’t get your way, so you’re talking shit. Just like how you told everyone on here I don’t know anything when I said this location was a possibility two damn years ago. You’re just making things up.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 pm The $B is a unicorn that will never happen. The office and residential buildings just won't happen because there just isn't enough room for what they initially proposed. Sure, the Cordish buildings on Main will likely happen, but they were supposed to happen anyway. EV will be dead for decades. I also was hoping for a competitor to Cordish that would drive better design and quicker build. That won't happen. It's a hard no for me and I'm second guessing the direction of this town. Perhaps you have to move to what you want instead of hoping that where you are now will turn into what you dream it could be.
The only thing that drives quicker build times is demand. All three light buildings have won numerous awards for their designs. Cordish has been by far the most active developer in downtown for the last 20 years.

This is the dream. It’s just not your dream. A downtown baseball stadium within a block of our cities best entertainment area with a storied sports watch history. A large cap park that will connect it all together even more. 3 more residential towers in PNL, more across the park plus a massive project where Strata was supposed to go but failed by a competing developer.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pmCordish has been by far the most active developer in downtown for the last 20 years.
I think people forget this. It sucks that Downtown KC has not attracted other national high rise developers, but here we are. Probably makes sense to go with somebody that has actually built something in KC.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:37 pm I’m just curious to see the vision for the stadium at this point. It’s been hyped up to me over the past week and I’m interested in seeing it.
It’s awesome. But haters are gonna hate. So I’m fully expecting plenty of negativity from some members on here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:59 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pmCordish has been by far the most active developer in downtown for the last 20 years.
I think people forget this. It sucks that Downtown KC has not attraction other national high rise developers, but here we are.
They don’t respect it. Cordish has been consistent and are owner operators, not a typical developer that builds and sells for a profit. They’re apart of this community which is why they’ve helped the royals get things this far.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:50 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 pm

Promise and delay? What are you talking about? A master development agreement is a long term development plan. What has been promised and not delivered on?

I’m not sure why you’re so pessimistic about this but you’re clearly only speculating and have no actual knowledge. You didn’t get your way, so you’re talking shit. Just like how you told everyone on here I don’t know anything when I said this location was a possibility two damn years ago. You’re just making things up.
I've made it clear through every thread.

Cordish has a very favorable master development agreement in power and light. They build one building after the other one is rented out, to massive subsidies from the city for parking.

Cordish has failed to lease significant areas because reasons.

Cordish got two properties across from Truman with grandfathered exclusions

Cordish wants big subsidies for a park over the highway.

Ev has been banked for years years to build this ball park

Late switch

What did I get wrong?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:43 pm

We were promised the same thing with Sprint center and you know the lots around it.

We don’t know that it’ll be surrounded by parking lots yet, do we? And if we want to prevent that from happening, we need to turn urgency into action and get the city council to take on an ordinance that makes it a loser to demolish buildings for parking lots. It’s past time they did it anyways. We can sit around and feel sorry about ourselves or we can do something positive. I’ll go for doing something positive.

Two things can be true at once.

And full disclosure that I won’t elaborate on, I’m in favor of this because of personal ventures nearby.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:56 pm The only thing that drives quicker build times is demand. All three light buildings have won numerous awards for their designs. Cordish has been by far the most active developer in downtown for the last 20 years.

This is the dream. It’s just not your dream. A downtown baseball stadium within a block of our cities best entertainment area with a storied sports watch history. A large cap park that will connect it all together even more. 3 more residential towers in PNL, more across the park plus a massive project where Strata was supposed to go but failed by a competing developer.
I know you’re just trying to justify your PR check for deflecting on this board, but I don’t need your hype responses to my posts. This is a terrible plan.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:04 am
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:43 pm

We don’t know that it’ll be surrounded by parking lots yet, do we? And if we want to prevent that from happening, we need to turn urgency into action and get the city council to take on an ordinance that makes it a loser to demolish buildings for parking lots. It’s past time they did it anyways. We can sit around and feel sorry about ourselves or we can do something positive. I’ll go for doing something positive.

Two things can be true at once.

And full disclosure that I won’t elaborate on, I’m in favor of this because of personal ventures nearby.
I know the last time what happened though, and I know how reluctant local developers are to sell.