New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by dnweava »

Listening to Clark Hunt interview on 810 and the stadium renovations came up. Didn't give any specifics but said they want to "do something with parking if the Royals go downtown" and said they wanted to upgrade essentially everything. Said a roof was not in the cards and they want to stay with a natural grass field and being an outdoor stadium as it gives them a competitive edge and helps land free agents.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:30 pm Listening to Clark Hunt interview on 810 and the stadium renovations came up. Didn't give any specifics but said they want to "do something with parking if the Royals go downtown" and said they wanted to upgrade essentially everything. Said a roof was not in the cards and they want to stay with a natural grass field and being an outdoor stadium as it gives them a competitive edge and helps land free agents.
Not sure how much clarity people need. A roof ain’t happening.

Technology; All new sound system. New video. New lighting system that’s all LED and capable of color changing.

Fully wrap the entire stadium in a modern exoskeleton that will allow for more available space, wider concourses and better concessions.

More suites on level 100 level. Major upgrades to others.

Tailgate district next to stadium.

Could take advantage of the old K below grade and whatever they build there could have an underground parking garage with the tunnel that exists connecting it to the stadium. This would allow players and team personnel to park and not be so exposed. Current player parking is a joke.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Promising it seems they don't just plan to simply flatten the K for another 4-5k parking spaces.

Would also like them to maintain the 76k capacity as a common fan without bags of disposable income so it can somehow remain as accessible for the average person as possible even in spite of the teams success. All our other peer markets who are renovating or building new appear to be reducing seats. I'm sure I read Clark Hunt once said football being accessible to all was a big thing for his dad so hopefully that rings true. The capacity IMO was as much of a reason as any as to why they got the likes of the World Cup and Taylor Swift as opposed to other smaller markets who have stadiums in more walkable/central locations, it definitely was not the lure of Blue Ridge Cutoff and Taco Bell swinging things that's for sure.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Mini Arrowhead with just screens to watch all games home and away at half price.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Many of the newer football stadiums seem to have one side of the stands mostly a 5,6,7 story wall of private enclosed boxes. Just wondering how they will achieve this at Arrowhead, Would seem it would take a lot of the overall capacity out.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

They can add several more suites along the 100 level concourse without losing any seating. I don’t anticipate they go down in capacity at all. Adding another ribbon board across the ledge of the 400 level will happen which means them finding a new home for the ring of honor.

Basically, more glitz, structurally securing the building, exterior wrap, concourse upgrades, concession improvements etc.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ribbon boards aren't done sort of amazing huge upgrade. That's minor improvement now a days and frankly not even something I'd expect the chiefs to do. They already reversed course on the ring of honor once.

The real upgrade will be that complete exoskeleton and probably another sky suite on the other side to match the current.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:44 am Ribbon boards aren't done sort of amazing huge upgrade. That's minor improvement now a days and frankly not even something I'd expect the chiefs to do. They already reversed course on the ring of honor once.

The real upgrade will be that complete exoskeleton and probably another sky suite on the other side to match the current.
A new ribbon board represents several million dollars a year of new revenue. Most new NFL stadiums have two or three. It will also add some wow factor in stadium for fans. These are the main visual communication tools used for fan interaction.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:31 am They can add several more suites along the 100 level concourse without losing any seating. I don’t anticipate they go down in capacity at all. Adding another ribbon board across the ledge of the 400 level will happen which means them finding a new home for the ring of honor.

Basically, more glitz, structurally securing the building, exterior wrap, concourse upgrades, concession improvements etc.
Would consider this a bare minimum upgrade that should have already been in the stadium
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Hope any exterior alterations do not obscure the unique curve on top of the end zone bowl.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

ribbon boards are just going to be covered in ads are NOT an upgrade. That's visual pollution.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:05 pm ribbon boards are just going to be covered in ads are NOT an upgrade. That's visual pollution.
Visual pollution is how the team makes money to pay for things like.... players.

LED ribbon boards are a crucial part of the fan experience. Get Loud, First Down, game info etc are all used via this method and in more impactful ways than the main LED screens. When the main lights can go off, the ribbon boards will become part of the pre-game and halftime productions.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay moving on, we know what video boards do.

It would be a drop in the hat of a true major upgrade of Arrowhead.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:58 am Hope any exterior alterations do not obscure the unique curve on top of the end zone bowl.
Agree 100% and I don't think they will. That's one of the most iconic features of the stadium.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:19 pm Okay moving on, we know what video boards do.

It would be a drop in the hat of a true major upgrade of Arrowhead.
Listen, if someone is going to call them "visual pollution", I'm going to respond. That's ridiculous and this renovation better drive revenue or else it's a waste of money. I'm not an expert on much, but this is right in my career wheelhouse along with various aspects of stadium design.

I agree it will be a drop in the hat, not claiming it's even in the top 10 of wow factors in this situation.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:18 pm
dnweava wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:05 pm ribbon boards are just going to be covered in ads are NOT an upgrade. That's visual pollution.
Visual pollution is how the team makes money to pay for things like.... players.

LED ribbon boards are a crucial part of the fan experience. Get Loud, First Down, game info etc are all used via this method and in more impactful ways than the main LED screens. When the main lights can go off, the ribbon boards will become part of the pre-game and halftime productions.
They make the "fan experience" feel far more fake when there are too many video boards honestly, so I would say that are the exact opposite of being crucial to the fan experience. Yea, I'd like to see the oval replay boards get bigger, but we have more than enough ribbon boards now to display the down + yards to go and have tons of space left over for ads. (and they make more sense in baseball where there are far more stats to keep track of) I'd rather the 2nd ring remain the ring of honor, now that is UNIQUE and AUTHENTIC to the arrowhead experience. 15 years ago when they were the new hot thing, I thought ribbon boards were cool and couldn't wait until all my favorite teams (pro and college) added them, but I've been to a ton of sporting events since then, and I appreciate more authentic feeling experiences vs the over the top experience that too much visual pollution causes. I'm not a soccer fan but I am a basketball fan, but even I'll admit that an MLS game is a far better experience than the over the top production of an NBA game. All the visual cues and stadium music doesn't allow authentic fan chants to start, and this is even happening at arrowhead more and more and it makes every teams games feel the exact same. People always brag about how Arrowhead is one of the most college type crowds in the NFL, but that has been fading lately, and adding even more production and video boards will just turn arrowhead into another sterile jerryworld.

and I REALY hate the basketball arenas where the ribbon board lights reflect off the shiny floor.

And yes I know capitalisms means they are happening anyways because nobody turns down a revenue stream, just wanted to put my little rant out there.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:07 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:18 pm

They make the "fan experience" feel far more fake when there are too many video boards honestly, so I would say that are the exact opposite of being crucial to the fan experience. Yea, I'd like to see the oval replay boards get bigger, but we have more than enough ribbon boards now to display the down + yards to go and have tons of space left over for ads. (and they make more sense in baseball where there are far more stats to keep track of) I'd rather the 2nd ring remain the ring of honor, now that is UNIQUE and AUTHENTIC to the arrowhead experience. 15 years ago when they were the new hot thing, I thought ribbon boards were cool and couldn't wait until all my favorite teams (pro and college) added them, but I've been to a ton of sporting events since then, and I appreciate more authentic feeling experiences vs the over the top experience that too much visual pollution causes. I'm not a soccer fan but I am a basketball fan, but even I'll admit that an MLS game is a far better experience than the over the top production of an NBA game. All the visual cues and stadium music doesn't allow authentic fan chants to start, and this is even happening at arrowhead more and more and it makes every teams games feel the exact same. People always brag about how Arrowhead is one of the most college type crowds in the NFL, but that has been fading lately, and adding even more production and video boards will just turn arrowhead into another sterile jerryworld.

and I REALY hate the basketball arenas where the ribbon board lights reflect off the shiny floor.

And yes I know capitalisms means they are happening anyways because nobody turns down a revenue stream, just wanted to put my little rant out there.
I understand your stance a bit more now. I also agree the NBA is just too much and it can be pushed too far.

I want to keep the classic, iconic nature of Arrowhead but give it more of the modern amenities fans have come to expect. Video, Lighting and Sound are some of the most impactful ways to do this.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would say they overdid the LED boards when they updated the K. To much visual noise for not enough return, specifically thinking about the ones in the outfield wall.

Hopefully both teams will consider some form of permanent locations for image mapping the field. We have been outfitting arenas for years now and have recently completed a soccer pitch. With LED stadium lighting you can now shut the lights down and back on again for some fantastic effect.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

don't get me started on turning stadium lights off during HRs/TDs/etc. It's horrible. Keep the lights on.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:03 pm don't get me started on turning stadium lights off during HRs/TDs/etc. It's horrible. Keep the lights on.
I agree. It's too much. But also, I'm old like you.