Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Belvidere wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:01 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:58 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:02 pm So are the Royals favored to go to the Crossroads or EV now
I’ve been informed Crossroads. Final renderings were completed yesterday with a reported “modern but bad ass design”. I did not see these renderings, so I’m going off of someone who has. I expect to see them released soon. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the campaign to get people to vote “yes” starts as a local Super Bowl commercial.
I hope EV doesn't remain a wasteland.
Again, SKC can save it
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Dang, just when you guys had me convinced that EV might be the better option and the Royals have probably given up on the CR site, I'm all exited about the CR site again.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:14 pm Dang, just when you guys had me convinced that EV might be the better option and the Royals have probably given up on the CR site, I'm all exited about the CR site again.
I've never lost confidence but I'm just not willing to break news and I'm just a bit superstitious.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:58 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:02 pm So are the Royals favored to go to the Crossroads or EV now
I’ve been informed Crossroads. Final renderings were completed yesterday with a reported “modern but bad ass design”. I did not see these renderings, so I’m going off of someone who has. I expect to see them released soon. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the campaign to get people to vote “yes” starts as a local Super Bowl commercial.
Have to wait until they make an announcement and release them, but "modern" design has me skittish. Pretty much the opposite of what I personally would of hoped for in a CR location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I told someone this maybe the site, they live downtown, and were so angry about the possible loss of crossroads as it is now they said they would probably just vote no, I ended up defending the crossroads site!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:20 pm I told someone this maybe the site, they live downtown, and were so angry about the possible loss of crossroads as it is now they said they would probably just vote no, I ended up defending the crossroads site!
You’re coming around to the good guy squad! ;)
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Don't think we should hagiographize differing opinons as good guy or demonize others as bad guys. I think most here are good guys, gals, or whatever is the gender neutral equivalent. I may vote no not due to minutely different locations, but based upon what I perceive as greater unmet needs that need funding DT rather than redundent sports facilities. Bar entertainment districts and mass sport entertainment facilities are not my priority. A true well rounded neighborhood with service and shopping and employment centers .to make it self contained for residents and not a playground for suburban carpetbagger. I may be considered snooty and pretentious by some but I prefer cultural attractions than those that cater to pop culture.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:22 am Don't think we should hagiographize differing opinons as good guy or demonize others as bad guys. I think most here are good guys, gals, or whatever is the gender neutral equivalent. I may vote no not due to minutely different locations, but based upon what I perceive as greater unmet needs that need funding DT rather than redundent sports facilities. Bar entertainment districts and mass sport entertainment facilities are not my priority. A true well rounded neighborhood with service and shopping and employment centers .to make it self contained for residents and not a playground for suburban carpetbagger. I may be considered snooty and pretentious by some but I prefer cultural attractions than those that cater to pop culture.

It was a joke. Vote how you’d like.

I want our city to grow and continue its path forward as it’s made much progress over the last twenty years. Voting for this won’t take money away from any other projects. It’s a continuation of an existing sales tax. There’s a robust CBA that will provide millions each year for programs that help citizens.

Downtown needs residents and these types of things help attract new residents. Downtown needs the business of those who live in suburban neighborhoods to survive as well. We have cultural attractions downtown. We need attractions that draw millions each year, not thousands. Let the plaza keep its high brow attitude while we make downtown welcoming to all.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interested to hear how they spin their core values of this project with the community impact short term is going to be taken as a negative when they kick out so many small businesses

Also how do they protect the immediate surrounding area like 18th and oak from property values going through the roof and killing off that entire district of small businesses.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’d like for the city to step up and put a blanket over the Crossroads to prevent demolitions for parking lots. Also require higher density usages where the industrial usages currently exist east of Locust. Nothing too crazy. Think more 1531 Holmes style density or higher. The baseball stadium can be a long term gain for the neighborhood, especially if done right and you set future growth up for success through clear expectations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd be much less fearful of this site if I know kcmo was capable of just that. Given they have no history in this manner I'm fearful of crossroads getting wrecked well beyond what is tore down immediately
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Partners are scrambling right now to wrap up the PR release.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Excited to see the details. Thanks again dcole for informing the site. It's not my preferred site and I have real concerns but ready to tackle those and make it the best for all impacted.

I hope I end up being so wrong my face hurts!
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Well, rooting for the no vote now. I will actually go out of my way now to help campaign against because of Cordish & their fans, I won't support an ideal from people who use right wing language & hate that are allowed to talk like that on here due to "insider info." Been fun, I'll see you guys on the funny pages.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:34 am Well, rooting for the no vote now. I will actually go out of my way now to help campaign against because of Cordish & their fans, I won't support an ideal from people who use right wing language & hate that are allowed to talk like that on here due to "insider info." Been fun, I'll see you guys on the funny pages.
You're insanely misinformed. I don't work for Cordish! Even if I did, I'm allowed to have personal opinions and vote how I want last I checked. Do you realize how unethical and un-american you sound when you say you won't support something because someone not officially affiliated used "right wing language". Do you know how many things you'd probably stop supporting if you knew how the owners voted behind closed doors? You should probably never attend another Sporting KC game if you don't like republicans.

Just absurd.

Do some research on Cordish, look up how much money they've donated to campaigns on both sides. Look at all their properties that do great work with marginalized communities across this country. Check out how many millions of dollars they donate to the underserved communities.

You can not like the one conversation we had in a totally different thread but please have the intelligence and maturity to take a better look at this situation opposed to voting no over a conversation you had with an anonymous person on a forum.

This will create thousands of jobs for the people who need them most. It will generate millions of dollars a year for the community, most of which will be focused on minority groups, the poor etc.

But if you must campaign against it because you didn't get your favorite location, do what you gotta do.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Maybe related. My mind isn’t the best after a few hard falls, but I walked by the Star building last night and it was lit up inside. The portion that you can see from the tilted glass on Truman seems very empty inside now. I don’t recall it being so empty before, but maybe that’s because it’s been dark.

There were also some people and music going on inside of the portion droning 17th Street. Not sure if it was a lobby or something else where people were hanging out, but it was the most I’ve seen the place lit up and music come out of it in all the times I’ve walked by.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:47 am Maybe related. My mind isn’t the best after a few hard falls, but I walked by the Star building last night and it was lit up inside. The portion that you can see from the tilted glass on Truman seems very empty inside now. I don’t recall it being so empty before, but maybe that’s because it’s been dark.

There were also some people and music going on inside of the portion droning 17th Street. Not sure if it was a lobby or something else where people were hanging out, but it was the most I’ve seen the place lit up and music come out of it in all the times I’ve walked by.
They've been working on getting all that massive printing equipment out of there for awhile now. Could be what you saw?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:42 am
TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:34 am Well, rooting for the no vote now. I will actually go out of my way now to help campaign against because of Cordish & their fans, I won't support an ideal from people who use right wing language & hate that are allowed to talk like that on here due to "insider info." Been fun, I'll see you guys on the funny pages.
You're insanely misinformed. I don't work for Cordish! Even if I did, I'm allowed to have personal opinions and vote how I want last I checked. Do you realize how unethical and un-american you sound when you say you won't support something because someone not officially affiliated used "right wing language". Do you know how many things you'd probably stop supporting if you knew how the owners voted behind closed doors? You should probably never attend another Sporting KC game if you don't like republicans.

Just absurd.

Do some research on Cordish, look up how much money they've donated to campaigns on both sides. Look at all their properties that do great work with marginalized communities across this country. Check out how many millions of dollars they donate to the underserved communities.

You can not like the one conversation we had in a totally different thread but please have the intelligence and maturity to take a better look at this situation opposed to voting no over a conversation you had with an anonymous person on a forum.

This will create thousands of jobs for the people who need them most. It will generate millions of dollars a year for the community, most of which will be focused on minority groups, the poor etc.

But if you must campaign against it because you didn't get your favorite location, do what you gotta do.
Never said you worked for them, reading comprehension man. And you think I'm not aware of the SKC stuff while most of the Cauldron/fan groups like me are no longer STHs & have nothing to do with the team anymore, your rich friends won & we've basically been exiled. I stand by what I said about the other thread though, I know others & myself have seen it in that one & the other threads you've posted in, including this one.

I basically conceded defeat to you & you flew off the handle. Typical. I'm out of here. Best of luck to you.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:48 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:42 am

Just absurd.

Never said you worked for them, reading comprehension man. And you think I'm not aware of the SKC stuff while most of the Cauldron/fan groups like me are no longer STHs & have nothing to do with the team anymore, your rich friends won & we've basically been exiled. I stand by what I said about the other thread though, I know others & myself have seen it in that one & the other threads you've posted in, including this one.

I basically conceded defeat to you & you flew off the handle. Typical. I'm out of here. Best of luck to you.
"Flew off the handle"? Get a helmet man. If you don't want real responses, don't write real posts. You're backpedaling now, you clearly are speaking about me and one particular conversation where I said Cauldron fans are entitled and care more about social issues than the game of soccer. Appreciate you disagree but that opinion is mine and mine alone. You even claim it's not right I'm allowed to talk like that on here and indicate you think my speech should be censored. Pathetic.

The only thing typical here is that you're claiming you'll go out and campaign against something that would be actually beneficial for the community because of some words that hurt your feelings on a forum made by someone you don't even know. So sure, go do your thing because your feelings were hurt.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:48 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:47 am Maybe related. My mind isn’t the best after a few hard falls, but I walked by the Star building last night and it was lit up inside. The portion that you can see from the tilted glass on Truman seems very empty inside now. I don’t recall it being so empty before, but maybe that’s because it’s been dark.

They've been working on getting all that massive printing equipment out of there for awhile now. Could be what you saw?
That’s what they’re doing in there. Makes sense. I took a picture of it and uploaded it to my Flickr, but can’t post the photos from my phone. I can add them when I get back home later tonight as the computer at my work forbids access to KCRag :/