Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

langosta wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:53 pm I dont see flashcube
Would be no loss. You could literally rebuild Flashcube anywhere for super cheap. I've never understood the connection to it for some people.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I don't understand why north loop didn't get more of a look. Those lots are owned by friendly owners too
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:56 am Yeah I don't understand why north loop didn't get more of a look. Those lots are owned by friendly owners too
There is no space
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Because it wasn’t a viable option and disconnected from the entertainment core of downtown. KC is a small city, can’t afford to spread out all these assets and wait 50 years for it to all fill in. Build synergy, create the heartbeat and let it grow outward.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

langosta wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 am
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:56 am Yeah I don't understand why north loop didn't get more of a look. Those lots are owned by friendly owners too
There is no space
Nonsense. It's larger than the EC site west of Oak and similarly has an opportunity for an outfield plaza lid over the interstate.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is no space
Yeah there is plenty of space. then imagine the north loop reduction
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50 am Because it wasn’t a viable option and disconnected from the power and light distrcit entertainment core of downtown. KC is a small city, can’t afford to spread out all these assets and wait 50 years for it to all fill in. Build synergy, create the heartbeat and let it grow outward.
It was connected to the entertainment core of the River Market on Delaware and the entertainment core of the Garment District on 8th street.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50 am Because it wasn’t a viable option and disconnected from the entertainment core of downtown. KC is a small city, can’t afford to spread out all these assets and wait 50 years for it to all fill in. Build synergy, create the heartbeat and let it grow outward.
Building within the loop is not spreading out. Now west bottoms? Riverfront? Totally agree with you.

No reason to litigate this but isn't an option but it's just blatantly silly to call things under a mile apart with built environment in between "spread out"
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:11 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50 am Because it wasn’t a viable option and disconnected from the entertainment core of downtown. KC is a small city, can’t afford to spread out all these assets and wait 50 years for it to all fill in. Build synergy, create the heartbeat and let it grow outward.
Building within the loop is not spreading out. Now west bottoms? Riverfront? Totally agree with you.

No reason to litigate this but isn't an option but it's just blatantly silly to call things under a mile apart with built environment in between "spread out"
It's not silly when the people who build these things, design these things and push to get them done think that almost a mile from a thriving area is "spread out".
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:35 pm
dnweava wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:15 pm All the evidence I've seen points to it not being the star site.
?
can't say what, but my insider info says it's not going there. of course that could change.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:11 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50 am Because it wasn’t a viable option and disconnected from the power and light distrcit entertainment core of downtown. KC is a small city, can’t afford to spread out all these assets and wait 50 years for it to all fill in. Build synergy, create the heartbeat and let it grow outward.
It was connected to the entertainment core of the River Market on Delaware and the entertainment core of the Garment District on 8th street.
Sorry but those areas are not known for entertainment even in the slightest form. River Market is a great area and on the rise, but not currently the area best suited to place a baseball stadium next to. Not with our other options.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:29 am
Sorry but those areas are not known for entertainment even in the slightest form. River Market is a great area and on the rise, but not currently the area best suited to place a baseball stadium next to. Not with our other options.
Sorry but I've managed to have some 'slight' form of entertainment in these areas :lol:
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:41 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:29 am

Sorry but I've managed to have some 'slight' form of entertainment in these areas :lol:
There are several nights I don't remember that I spent in the River Market.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

unmemorable nights and (28 out of every 30 years of) Your Kansas City Royals, name a more iconic duo
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:08 am
There is no space
Nonsense. It's larger than the EC site west of Oak and similarly has an opportunity for an outfield plaza lid over the interstate.

And even though the north loop is further away, it's actually in more ways more connected than East Village. First by the streetcar and second because the pedestrian making the trek is traversing a more developed and active part of downtown and the RM is just over the loop.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:22 am

It's not silly when the people who build these things, design these things and push to get them done think that almost a mile from a thriving area is "spread out".
I said the loop is a mile. None of these sites are over a half mile from the only entertainment you care about on here.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:09 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:22 am

I said the loop is a mile. None of these sites are over a half mile from the only entertainment you care about on here.
You keep making the mistake I'm the only one who cares about proximity to what's widely considered the entertainment center of our city. Why do you think we've owned the Big 12 tournament for so many years when other, bigger, hotter cities have tried to get it from the start? Why do you think we landed a quarter final in the 2026 World Cup? Of course the Royals want to be as close to this well established, internationally known entertainment asset.

Sports fans don't walk 6 blocks to damn thing, it's a challenge to get them to walk 2.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They walk 10 at Kauffman now.

World cup is here because of Arrowhead, heck thats such a big event pnl live block wasn't big enough for a fan center for that event. Nothing against pnl at all, that thing is just another level of which we have never seen here.

All I'm pointing out is these other sites are ein no way disconnected from the rest of downtown. Heck TMobile to president is about as far as pnl to east village. Does the connection from pnl to either east village or crossroads need to be prettied up once the site is picked, big time yes.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

It's .4 mile from EV to PNL. 10-minute walk. It's half the distance that people walk from Lot L to the stadiums. Road diet and beautify 12th st to PNL, close it completely on certain game days.

I've waivered, but EV just makes more sense for the stadium imho. Its easier/quicker to acquire (limited landowners), cheaper to build on (larger site = less vertical stadium), more opportunity to build surrounding development.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:38 pm They walk 10 at Kauffman now.

World cup is here because of Arrowhead, heck thats such a big event pnl live block wasn't big enough for a fan center for that event. Nothing against pnl at all, that thing is just another level of which we have never seen here.

All I'm pointing out is these other sites are ein no way disconnected from the rest of downtown. Heck TMobile to president is about as far as pnl to east village. Does the connection from pnl to either east village or crossroads need to be prettied up once the site is picked, big time yes.
No, FIFA is here in part due to the partnership between Sporting Kansas City and the Power & Light District as they hosted past World Cup watch parties that made the international broadcast and caught the attention of FIFA. They have worked for more than a decade on the "soccer capital of America" campaign. “It’s great to be in a place that I’ve only seen on TV, packed with people,” said Victor Montagliani, with the FIFA World Cup Selection Committee. Arrowhead and Lamar Hunts vision for Soccer so many years ago played a part as well, but we got this due to a well organized effort that has been happening behind the scenes for years and years. This isn't my opinion, at the press conference where we found out we were hosting, Kathy Nelson, president of the KC Sports commission literally said that FIFA talked about how we wouldn't have got this bid without those watch parties. She made this statement while on the stage inside the live block area. These same watch parties have been show live as part of the Super Bowl broadcast each year the Chiefs have been in the game as well. Traveling back a few years, guess where Fox Sports setup a camera for live shots during the Royals World Series runs? Guess where the Royals players came down and celebrated with fans after winning the AL championship?

All this to point out that it's a popular, very well established and energetic asset that of course, the Royals want to be associated with and in close proximity to. They know they can't attempt to re-create that type of atmosphere and sports history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=k1XFMxrKlTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfXXSkMndc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdu5S4BlDKs