Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:41 pm How many businesses we kicking out? got quit a few spaces available. Maybe not free rent but heavily reduced, heck it's gathering no rent now, what's the difference.

1) Old tmobile
2) Old BBQ spot
3) Old BK
4) Old Kill Devil
5) Old Sushi place on Main
6) Across from theater (never been a thing)
7) Soon to be gone Protein House (we keep hearing they are leaving)
8) Old jewelry
9) Old District Clothing store (that's two spots)
10) Old Jos A Bank
11) Place next to Yardhouse (never been anything?)
12) Lifetime Solar place could be kicked out
13) KIck BOA video branch out
14) Place next to District Tan
15) Old Visit KC on Baltimore
16) old bakery spot next to Chipotle
17) old flex office space in 2 light
18) 3 Light Chase bank space
19 Other 3 Light retail space
Thank you for the fantastic opportunity to provide some information.

1) Old tmobile - Still leased, by T-Mobile
2) Old BBQ spot - Leased
3) Old BK - Leased
4) Old Kill Devil - Has been a private event space for a decade.
5) Old Sushi place on Main - Leased
6) Across from theater (never been a thing) - Not leased
7) Soon to be gone Protein House (we keep hearing they are leaving) - currently leased
8) Old jewelry - leased
9) Old District Clothing store (that's two spots) - it’s one spot with two levels, open I believe.
10) Old Jos A Bank - letter of intent
11) Place next to Yardhouse (never been anything?) leased and occupied
12) Lifetime Solar place could be kicked out - Long term agreement
13) KIck BOA video branch out - ridiculous
14) Place next to District Tan - open
15) Old Visit KC on Baltimore - leased
16) old bakery spot next to Chipotle - open but tiny
17) old flex office space in 2 light - huh? spark? At 94% capacity
18) 3 Light Chase bank space - ridiculous
19 Other 3 Light retail space - leased
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

awesome news! Guess we shouldn't move those east crossroads businesses out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Based on Sherman saying location announced soon (next few days) my money is on east village. We'd be hearing more from crossroads retailers by now.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:36 pm Based on Sherman saying location announced soon (next few days) my money is on east village. We'd be hearing more from crossroads retailers by now.
I know the debate has raged on here between East Village and the Crossroads. Good points were made on both fronts. East Village will always be the winner in my view because of how much land is cleared and the opportunity it presents if done well. East Village also means less of a headache on the Royals side of things than the Crossroads. Additionally, if I were John Sherman, I wouldn’t want to roll with the site where the property owner is continuously putting out simple renderings of a stadium concept to the media and pissing everyone else off in the process. I can’t say that I disrespect Privitera’s hustle to bring attention to the property though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Unless I see something that changes my mind, I think I'm going to change my preferred location to EV. I really do think the ECR is the better location if done right. However, I see zero evidence so far that the Royals are going to be able to pull off "doing it right".

And maybe it's just not worth it to walk away from EV and let that area fester while at the same time screwing up another part of the downtown area. I think I am dreaming way too much as far as what I envision a stadium in ECR would look like.

I just hope they have the capability to build out EV because I don't see it happening otherwise. Looking the state of current UC and proposed projects in urban KCMO makes me wonder it's even possible with the Royals involved. But it's worth a try and if other development doesn't happen at the scale people hope for, the stadium will take up half the vacant land that is there now at least.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the stadium eats up half the vacant land in the EV, I don't think it will be that hard to build out the other vacant parcels. Who would have thought that Copaken would have built the 13-story Reverb building on that parcel in the Crossroads?

I don't know if there will be high-rises. We'll probably get this instead:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1079408 ... ?entry=ttu

I'll be really surprised if there is any new office in the EV except for space for Royals management.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ That's one of the better new construction buildings in KC IMO. It's not tall, but I do think you need to go at least six floors and the ground level interaction is decent at least on one corner. I recall Reverb not being great at street level even though it's taller.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It's the right choice but the worry now has gotta be that they've killed all the goodwill & hype going into it by flip flopping all this time & never following their own deadlines.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:36 pm Based on Sherman saying location announced soon (next few days) my money is on east village. We'd be hearing more from crossroads retailers by now.
NDA’s
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

just waiting for a decision so we can all move forward and see the real plan. Speculating and hand wringing on the "what if's" has been exhausting. Good debate & dialogue but would much rather invest thoughtful analysis on the real project
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:14 am
NDA’s
that's a big assumption everybody is on board and agreed though which we all know from any dealing that involves a lot of parties, is impossible.

DCole with Sherman saying this announcement is coming quick, your suggesting it's Crossroads?
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:27 pm Portland seems to be really cramming a stadium into a small footprint here. They are getting more serious about luring a MLB team lately.

It makes me wonder if the Royals are thinking of something like this for the ECR location.

I think that looks great.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:31 am
NDA’s
that's a big assumption everybody is on board and agreed though which we all know from any dealing that involves a lot of parties, is impossible.

DCole with Sherman saying this announcement is coming quick, your suggesting it's Crossroads?
I still feel very confident about East Crossroads. The entire site will not be purchased prior to any announcement regardless of location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:53 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:31 am

NDA’s

I still feel very confident about East Crossroads. The entire site will not be purchased prior to any announcement regardless of location.
Appreciate your continued insight.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

All the evidence I've seen points to it not being the star site.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:15 pm All the evidence I've seen points to it not being the star site.
?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

let's stretch this south loop park one extra block for every year on that bobby witt extension bay beeee!!!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:06 pm
I know the debate has raged on here between East Village and the Crossroads. Good points were made on both fronts. East Village will always be the winner in my view because of how much land is cleared and the opportunity it presents if done well. East Village also means less of a headache on the Royals side of things than the Crossroads. Additionally, if I were John Sherman, I wouldn’t want to roll with the site where the property owner is continuously putting out simple renderings of a stadium concept to the media and pissing everyone else off in the process. I can’t say that I disrespect Privitera’s hustle to bring attention to the property though.
I went downtown with my wife the other day and walked from the P&L District to the EC and then back to the P&L District and over to the EV site and generally inspected both sites. I agree, both have merits and both have some hair. Ultimately, I think the East Crossroads location is the better location. I am just thinking ahead to what the average fan would want in a downtown location (holding parking constant as neither location has enough surplus in the immediate vicinity). The ease of getting to the East Crossroads location and its proximity to the P&L District just makes it a significantly better location for the fan. Trying to get to EV from the P&L District and the street car is a long walk through a fairly deserted in places (especially at night) part of downtown. I just don't see suburban Kansas Citians who will still make up the greater part of the attendance really wanting to do that. I didn't mind the walk but I don't think that's true for most.

I was more impressed than I thought I'd be by the building stock that stands in the way of an East Crossroads stadium and I would hate to lose that. I also think the EC location will be significantly more difficult to pull off logistically due to the present occupied location of the area. Consequently, I think EV may get the nod but fan experience will be much better at the EC location.

Oddly enough, we went to River Market after walking around the locations and walked back on Main Street where my wife pointed at the north loop parking expanse, much of empty of cars in the middle of the day, and suggested that would make a better site than either of the ones we visited. She's probably right. A better location than EV (and empty) and no tear downs like EC requires.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highlander wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:26 pm Oddly enough, we went to River Market after walking around the locations and walked back on Main Street where my wife pointed at the north loop parking expanse, much of empty of cars in the middle of the day, and suggested that would make a better site than either of the ones we visited. She's probably right. A better location than EV (and empty) and no tear downs like EC requires.
I think there were plans floated in the past for the North Loop that required tearing down 609 Central and the Flashcube Building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1060903 ... ?entry=ttu
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:49 pm
Highlander wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:26 pm Oddly enough, we went to River Market after walking around the locations and walked back on Main Street where my wife pointed at the north loop parking expanse, much of empty of cars in the middle of the day, and suggested that would make a better site than either of the ones we visited. She's probably right. A better location than EV (and empty) and no tear downs like EC requires.
I think there were plans floated in the past for the North Loop that required tearing down 609 Central and the Flashcube Building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1060903 ... ?entry=ttu
I dont see flashcube