4711 Belleview

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: 4711 Belleview

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:17 pm The plans I have show a mixture of green ceramic tile, two different colors of fiber cement panel, two colors of brick, exposed concrete, metal and glass as being the facade materials
I’ve seen plans with lists like this that end up being 95% fiber cement panel and 5% the rest of the good stuff. What’s the main exterior finish?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:56 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:17 pm The plans I have show a mixture of green ceramic tile, two different colors of fiber cement panel, two colors of brick, exposed concrete, metal and glass as being the facade materials
I’ve seen plans with lists like this that end up being 95% fiber cement panel and 5% the rest of the good stuff. What’s the main exterior finish?
I can upload the elevations when I get back home tonight, but I say it's split 50/50 brick and fiber cement. 5 floors are clad in brick and 5 are clad in fiber cement. Although because of the step backs, fiber cement definitely has a slightly higher percentage of facade cover.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I could see this being the only project we get on the Plaza for a long while
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

It's pretty awful looking. :cry:

Too bad there isn't any good architecture nearby to get inspiration from. :roll:
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Exactly what is fiber cement? Saw it listed for 14th and Wyandotte in limestone color. Is it like stucco? How is it different than cast stone, besides, I am sure, lighter and cheaper. Is it something new?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

moderne wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:39 pm Exactly what is fiber cement? Saw it listed for 14th and Wyandotte in limestone color. Is it like stucco? How is it different than cast stone, besides, I am sure, lighter and cheaper. Is it something new?

fiber cement panel facades are a light weight fire resistant cladding system. Versatile in color, texture, and pattern. Can be made to look similar to wood or stone.

https://architizer.com/blog/product-gui ... dding/amp/

https://www.equitone.com/en-us/
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Renderings/materials look great, much better than previous design imo.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

20 year abatement approved.
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

A little more info on the 20 year abatement from the Collison article on FlatLand. The KC schools are taking exception again but the article does a good job of explaining the current and future financial impact to the city.

"The Port KC board approved the framework of a deal that would provide the developer with a 20-year property tax abatement, 10 years at 85%, five years at 80%, and five years at 75%."

"The project would still yield $19.5 million in new property taxes during its term to taxing jurisdictions including the schools, a fact emphasized by Commissioner Katheryn Shields, who formerly represented the area on the City Council."

This is in comparison to the $1.1 million if it otherwise sat vacant.

Now whether those abatement percents could be massaged to more benefit the City, is certainly up for debate. Personally, I'd rather see development and additional density/apartments than a grass field and buildings with plywood sides as it is now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

People don't realize how expensive vacant lots really are.

The school district leaders also forget that property taxes aren't the only issue here. More housing equals more students in their district. The federal and state governments give school districts a certain amount of money per student in the district. More students = more money.

K-12 schools nationwide receive $60.34 billion total or $1,193 per pupil from the federal government. States contribute $357.0 billion to K-12 public education or $7,058 per student.

https://educationdata.org/public-educat ... statistics

If there is a housing crisis, and if enough housing cannot be built in your school district, families will move to places where they can find housing, and our school district will continue to lose students even though the district has state accreditation again.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I would head this property adds fewer than 10 KCPS students but I could be wrong.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's not just this property, the KCPSD has regularly opposed subsidies for new development, and redevelopment of older buildings, over the years. If you totaled up all the buildings in which they opposed subsidies, the number of students who live in them would start to add up.

The other thing they don't seem to appreciate is that developers provide affordable units in their buildings to get some of the subsidies, and these units are occupied by low-income families within the KSPSD. So they are opposing the creation of affordable housing that their students' families need. The KCPSD probably has the highest number of students in the Metro whose families are renters.

For all the units we add in the central city, we have to remember we are losing units too. We lose houses and buildings to fire and neglect.

The crazy thing is that the school district is getting a lot more money from the subsidized development than they are presently getting from the vacant lots or empty buildings.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:06 am It's not just this property, the KCPSD has regularly opposed subsidies for new development, and redevelopment of older buildings, over the years. If you totaled up all the buildings in which they opposed subsidies, the number of students who live in them would start to add up.

The other thing they don't seem to appreciate is that developers provide affordable units in their buildings to get some of the subsidies, and these units are occupied by low-income families within the KSPSD. So they are opposing the creation of affordable housing that their students' families need. The KCPSD probably has the highest number of students in the Metro whose families are renters.

For all the units we add in the central city, we have to remember we are losing units too. We lose houses and buildings to fire and neglect.

The crazy thing is that the school district is getting a lot more money from the subsidized development than they are presently getting from the vacant lots or empty buildings.
Imho, these new luxury properties will increase tax revenues for the district but add pretty much no new costs (students). It’s a win win if you aren’t greedy.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Drove past just this minute and there was a “Mixed-Use Development Opportunity Site For Sale. Lane4” sign is up on the site. Not sure if it’s new but I don’t remember it before and it wasn’t weathered
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:06 am It's not just this property, the KCPSD has regularly opposed subsidies for new development, and redevelopment of older buildings, over the years. If you totaled up all the buildings in which they opposed subsidies, the number of students who live in them would start to add up.

Kathleen Pointer (The policy analyst for Kansas City Public Schools opposing incentive requests) is also on KC Tenants Board.

So...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's common for people to be involved with several organizations with the same goal.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:43 am It's common for people to be involved with several organizations with the same goal.
It's uncommon for folks to misrepresent their intentions and roles.