Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by bspecht »

Worth considering potential political motives for Manny's framing.

Manny also just posted a signed contract by the Royals/Chiefs... TBD if it is amenable for the JaxCo 4.
https://twitter.com/MannyAbarcaIV/statu ... 1346333768
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

"A joint statement from the region’s civic and business organizations regarding the stadium sales tax on the April 2 ballot."

KC Chamber
The Civic Council of Greater KC
KCADC
KC Sports Commission
Downtown Council of KC
Community Builders of KC
Heartland Black Chamber of Commerce
Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Greater KC
Negro League Baseball Museum
Urban League of Greater KC
https://twitter.com/godowntownkc/status ... 8572949817
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I think this ends with enough pressure from the community that they get enough votes to override veto, and the Royals give some faux concession to make it look clean.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Haven't seen the statement posted to the Royals and Chiefs official pages yet, but they lay out responses to all 10 reasons for three legislators siding with Frank White. I expect that if the override vote is successful, the campaign would begin almost immediately afterward.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

References a Feb 29 deadline for Royals site decision they "will meet."
https://twitter.com/MannyAbarcaIV/statu ... 1860389117
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Those bounds don't include potential additional sites the Royals could pursue for mixed-use development or parking in the vicinity.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Don't subscribe to the KCBJ, could you paraphrase what it says?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:27 pm Don't subscribe to the KCBJ, could you paraphrase what it says?
Nothing ground breaking or that we haven't really discussed. Talks about the most likely Crossroads site would be Grand to Locust, with the stadium being between Grand and Oak.

Differences between East Crossroads and East Village -

EC:
41 Unique property parcels
23 Unique owners
13.2 Acres
Collective Value - 33.8 million

EV:
12 unique owners
27 acres
Collective Value - 40 million

Both sites would have some demolition costs involved.

From article:
One prominent property owner in the area is Matt Abbott, of Abbott Properties. He and his brother Mark own nine parcels to either side of the press pavilion under different entities. Abbott on Wednesday said he has yet to hear from the Royals but recently made a call to the team to initiate potential planning.
A Crossroads stadium would represent a "huge win," with potential to build off the community's development over the last 20 years — if done right, with respect and relocation support for displaced businesses, he said.
"The people that have been there before now, they've invested a lot of time and work into making the neighborhood great, and I hope that the city and the Royals treat those businesses (and) property owners respectfully and fairly," Abbott said. "There's a way to go about this where everybody can win, and so I think that's an important part of this process."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thank you for distilling the article. Even though it is twice as much land it's hard to see that the value of the land in EV is twice that of EC. Location, location, location.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:22 pm I think this ends with enough pressure from the community that they get enough votes to override veto, and the Royals give some faux concession to make it look clean.
Called it!!

Legislature has the votes to override Frank White veto

https://x.com/sammcdowell11/status/1749 ... RPpXS0iFBA
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I was assuming they would just override him.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:20 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:22 pm I think this ends with enough pressure from the community that they get enough votes to override veto, and the Royals give some faux concession to make it look clean.
Called it!!

Legislature has the votes to override Frank White veto

https://x.com/sammcdowell11/status/1749 ... RPpXS0iFBA
I think the amount of support from local organizations, the letter of intent and the joint statements by both teams has everyone feeling good about this. Now we just need to see the final East Crossroads plan and let the marketing, q&a blitz begin.

March is a tough month in KC to get people's attention though, so a winning vote is not a sure thing.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

A Chiefs Super Bowl win in a few weeks puts this thing in the bag
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Royals have until February 29th to reveal plans for their stadium and district. I imagine plans will come out sooner than that so that they can inform the public better. I expect a join press conference of the Chiefs and Royals within the next 2 weeks to announce both of their plans.

Maybe even during the Royals Rally event on February 3rd could images be released.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:31 am Royals have until February 29th to reveal plans for their stadium and district. I imagine plans will come out sooner than that so that they can inform the public better. I expect a join press conference of the Chiefs and Royals within the next 2 weeks to announce both of their plans.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them earlier than the deadline but they want to get it right this time around. So I also wouldn't be shocked to see them take the full amount of time. They'll still likely be conceptual so they can buy some time on getting the exact design elements perfected.

They've been working on the crossroads plan for a few months, so they should have a great amount of work done.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't doubt they are working on seeing if crossroads will work and in the end they will find it won't and they will be in EV and we'll all end up happier for it. Crossroads will continue to grow and be helped by EV site and we'll connect more of our downtown together. Can't wait.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:47 am I don't doubt they are working on seeing if crossroads will work and in the end they will find it won't and they will be in EV and we'll all end up happier for it. Crossroads will continue to grow and be helped by EV site and we'll connect more of our downtown together. Can't wait.
Ok?

You'll be happier for it. You and 3 or 4 other forum members.

I haven't heard a single thing about East Village for 3 months, it's been a full focus on East Crossroads. I'm sure something could blow that up, but the people who own the most acreage in EC want to sell and see this happen. It has all the momentum.

East Village will always be second best.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Logistic and feasibility wise EV #1 by far. I don't doubt some find Crossroads a better location. Even I have daydreamed while going by seeing a stadium on Grand there, I just don't see it being able to be accomplished nor do I think it's the best for that neighborhood.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:02 pm Logistic and feasibility wise EV #1 by far. I don't doubt some find Crossroads a better location. Even I have daydreamed while going by seeing a stadium on Grand there, I just don't see it being able to be accomplished nor do I think it's the best for that neighborhood.
The points on if it's best for the neighborhood are opinion based and valid. We disagree there as I think this will be one of the best developments to ever happen to The Crossroads.

Logistics and feasibility is a wash because you can slice it several different ways. I'm focused on the results and there's no doubt that EC stands to be the best overall, long-term result for our city and downtown as a whole. I'm happy that as of today, that's where it's going.