Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:22 pm
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:41 pm The most activity happening along Grand are strippers coming and going, police showing up to tavern disturbances and people picking up their dry cleaning.
Jesus, dude. There are four restaurants, a salon, a bar that's an institution, etc just on one block of what you want to tear down. If you can't support your opinions without posting complete nonsense lies then stop.
Oh, sorry dude. Didn't know we were litigating in a court of law here. I said what I said.
And you show how much you understand about downtown every single time. Which is fine, crossroads isn't for everyone, but don't pretend otherwise.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Frank White has vetoed the bill authorizing the April vote, and he's got 3 other legislators signing on with his veto (which provide a veto-proof majority). He's got an auto-reply email stating that this only pertains to it being on the April ballot, but I'm really sick of Jackson County's role in all of the delays.

Here's everyone on the Jackson County Executive Board (bolded are those who are signed on with the veto - Frank White, Jalen Anderson, Megan Marshall, Jeanie Laurer):
countyexecutive@jacksongov.org,
dmcgee@jacksongov.org,
mmarshall@jacksongov.org,
JAnderson@jacksongov.org,
dpeyton@jacksongov.org,
mabarca@jacksongov.org,
vhuskey@jacksongov.org,
cfranklin@jacksongov.org,
jlauer@jacksongov.org,
sesmith@jacksongov.org

KCDowntown
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

What the actual fuck
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bspecht wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:01 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:41 pm When we going to stop pretending this section of EC is so great? I literally look at this area from my living room window, it's not "vibrant".

Google, collecting (& measuring against) nearly all human dwell time activity in the world, appears to disagree.

It seems you have a quite different view of urban environments & connectivity than many others here, that's ok, but I don't think you're going to change our minds. 👍
1. I'm not trying to change minds. Some people on here won't have their minds changed on anything.
2. Remove the west side of Grand from your selected area and dwell time would collapse.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Word is some county council members are siding with Frank White's veto and there aren't enough votes for an override on Monday.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So now what?
KC is the way to be!
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

AllThingsKC wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:36 pm So now what?
Flip by Monday or the current form is dead. Guess we're all on the same boat now because we won't be having any more of this debate about location if it dies.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I know we’ve already floated this ideas before but for fucks sake just DITCH THE COUNTY and work with the city instead. It’s a better shot than Jackson County at this point.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:24 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:22 pm
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:00 pm

Jesus, dude. There are four restaurants, a salon, a bar that's an institution, etc just on one block of what you want to tear down. If you can't support your opinions without posting complete nonsense lies then stop.
Oh, sorry dude. Didn't know we were litigating in a court of law here. I said what I said.
And you show how much you understand about downtown every single time. Which is fine, crossroads isn't for everyone, but don't pretend otherwise.
I'm not pretending Crossroads is the end all be all for everyone on this forum. That's very clearly proven by the pages and pages on good and mostly respectful debate we have on here. Just how I can utilize the hundreds of hours I've accumulated looking over this area all these years and never getting a, "man, that area is thriving today" from what I see. I also have spent many hours talking with the owners of Cigar Box to know this whole block is a struggle. I could be remembering all those conversations incorrectly as him and I tend to get into the sauce a bit too much. I can't speak on the Strip club, even if busy, it can go.

I understand a lot about downtown. I mean I've spent the last few decades working exclusively on downtown development projects, stadium sites and mixed-use urban design! I guess since I tend to speak more for that side and not from a resident perspective, I end up being the villain on this forum but hey, if it's an echo chamber some of you are after, block me and carry on.

Here's a fun, goofy and completely AI generated image of what a downtown stadium with ground level retail could look like.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:35 pm Word is some county council members are siding with Frank White's veto and there aren't enough votes for an override on Monday.
Just another bump in the road.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It really seems like a ton of people in KC are fine with losing the Royals if you read a lot of comments on social media. That's really sad.

Any city can have an NFL team. There are several smaller than KC with NFL teams. But if KC loses the Royals, it will be official that the city has fallen down a tier or two in city ranking and KC will never ever get MLB back. I'm sure few care though.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:41 pm I know we’ve already floated this ideas before but for fucks sake just DITCH THE COUNTY and work with the city instead. It’s a better shot than Jackson County at this point.
You're on to something there. ;)

In reality, the Royals don't need the county if they have support elsewhere.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:44 pm It really seems like a ton of people in KC are fine with losing the Royals if you read a lot of comments on social media. That's really sad.

Any city can have an NFL team. There are several smaller than KC with NFL teams. But if KC loses the Royals, it will be official that the city has fallen down a tier or two in city ranking and KC will never ever get MLB back. I'm sure few care though.
Actually the comments on social media are flaming Frank White right now
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

For a design with 365 days of activity I keep visioning the Roman colosseum during the middle ages with dwellings and shops inserted into the exterior.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:49 pm Actually the comments on social media are flaming Frank White right now
Not all of that is stadium related. People just hate the guy right now anyway.
KC is the way to be!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

When the Athletics moved to town from Philadelphia in the Fifties there was general rejoicing in that KC had finally become a major league city in all sense.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

GRID wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:44 pm It really seems like a ton of people in KC are fine with losing the Royals if you read a lot of comments on social media. That's really sad.

Yeah, I also get a huge whiff of apathy towards the Royals on the socials too.

I don't think the Independence and Blue Springs crew will wake-up until there's a shovel in the ground for a new Chiefs stadium out at Legends and the Royals are en route to Nashville. There is such a level of naivety that nothing matters beyond on field performance and they can't see the bigger picture beyond the convenience of the K compared to an urban venue that generates far more revenue and subsequently makes the team more competitive and sustainable. They're in denial that the team is leaving there regardless.

And then there is just a large chunk of people who don't give a shit about the team full stop.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Seems like the Royals just need to sign some framework agreements, unsure what their willingness to do so will be. It's definitely the time for the County to shoot for what they want, ahead of a 40-year agreement. Hopefully resolved this weekend.

EDIT: This reads like they'll be willing to do so. Think we'll see agreements next week.
https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1748110666395762723
Last edited by bspecht on Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Rusty Irish wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:57 pm

Yeah, I also get a huge whiff of apathy towards the Royals on the socials too.

I don't think the Independence and Blue Springs crew will wake-up until there's a shovel in the ground for a new Chiefs stadium out at Legends and the Royals are en route to Nashville. There is such a level of naivety that nothing matters beyond on field performance and they can't see the bigger picture beyond the convenience of the K compared to an urban venue that generates far more revenue and subsequently makes the team more competitive and sustainable. They're in denial that the team is leaving there regardless.

And then there is just a large chunk of people who don't give a shit about the team full stop.
A vocal minority is all I’ve really encountered. In person I’ve not encountered a single person in opposition. Some definitely have questions, but no one outright opposed like the SM commentary might suggest is the standard attitude
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bspecht wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:02 pm Seems like the Royals just need to sign some framework agreements, unsure what their willingness to do so will be. It's definitely the time for the County to shoot for what they want, ahead of a 40-year agreement. Hopefully resolved this weekend.

EDIT: This reads like they'll be willing to do so. Think we'll see agreements next week.
https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1748110666395762723
The Royals and Frank White are basically 5 million apart. The Royals have committed to 20m a year back to the county, Frank White wants 25m.