OFFICIAL - Performing Arts Center construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Performing Arts Center construction

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:42 pm https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0936158 ... ?entry=ttu

Looking at google maps, I have never noticed how many empty lots are now around the PAC.
Kansas City aspires to be Dresden Germany in 1945.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

It remains a solid example of Kansas City's infatuation with baubles rather than the less sexy work of real city building.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

While I agree with the criticism of the shameful empty lots around the PAC (and it is embarrassing), let's cut a little slack here for the fact that a big chunk of that land was tied up for years with the assumption that UMKC was going to build their downtown Conservatory (renderings are still floating around somewhere), as noted by Cratedigger.

It felt like pretty much a done deal until squashed by Gov. Grietens and (more shockingly) never picked back up again by the City or UMKC. I feel like UMKC is as much to blame here as anyone - when Plan A was disrupted, where was Plan B to pick up the pieces?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:22 am It remains a solid example of Kansas City's infatuation with baubles rather than the less sexy work of real city building.
In defense of the Kauffman center itself, I think it honest is a phenomenal piece of architecture, and its appearance on almost any piece of merch featuring the skyline shows how much of an icon it’s become. The performance halls are beautiful and the acoustics are great.

I think for the period it was built in, downtown needed flashy icons like this to draw attention back to downtown. Union station, WWI museum, P&L and the streetcar are all not traditional urbanism but together got the focus back on downtown. “Baubles” aren’t bad but at this point we should be building a lot more urban fabric around them than we currently are
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It was certainly more needed than another ball park, and cost not much to taxpayers other than a garage. I am there a lot and probably will never set foot in a baseball stadium. The arts are real city building.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:36 am It was certainly more needed than another ball park, and cost not much to taxpayers other than a garage. I am there a lot and probably will never set foot in a baseball stadium. The arts are real city building.
Both serve a purpose for a city, let’s not kid ourselves
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:53 pm
moderne wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:36 am It was certainly more needed than another ball park, and cost not much to taxpayers other than a garage. I am there a lot and probably will never set foot in a baseball stadium. The arts are real city building.
Both serve a purpose for a city, let’s not kid ourselves
Yeah, don't be like that. Some people like the arts, some people like sports, some people like both. Both are great assets to a downtown.

I love the PAC and because it is such an icon, you don't really even notice all the empty land around it because your focus is on the Kauffman Center itself.

But it really is hard to believe that it's 2024 and NOTHING has been built around it. The lots have only gotten more empty.

I realize you have to be careful with what you build near the PAC so you don't clash with it. The hotel they proposed was decent. Too bad they couldn't make that work.

They need to do something with the west side of Broadway though. Unless people would rather keep those businesses there because you know, 1-2 story industrial buildings from the 1950's and their parking lots should not be touched 8). JK!

(for the record they should not be touched unless a development is financed and ready to build).
Last edited by GRID on Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

i thought there were a few plans in the works for West side of Broadway. One around the old Denny's site and South. Building design is held up by the FAA right now on height issues. Then you have the Faultless site with LUX that is in progress but most likely will need to go to another developer. I would be nice to see some other development in front of it as you go down the hill but I think Everyone is sensitive to blocking the view of a world famous, architecturally designed building.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

GRID wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:09 pm But it really is hard to believe that it's 2024 and NOTHING has been built around it. The lots have only gotten more empty.
Man, I really hope someone proposes another mega-project to the east that can generate even more empty lots. We could call it "mega-project empty lot row".
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

In the current economy, nothing is being built it appears, and stuff that is started has basically come to a halt. It feels like the well is running pretty dry right now. I know there have been several proposals for the site to the west of PAC. We have major events on the way in the next few years. It just seems like money is either being held or is gone. and if they have money they want city help as well. At least from my perspective that is what I am seeing. Feels like a trickle of activity compared to the full spigot of a few years ago.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:23 pm i thought there were a few plans in the works for West side of Broadway. One around the old Denny's site and South. Building design is held up by the FAA right now on height issues. Then you have the Faultless site with LUX that is in progress but most likely will need to go to another developer. I would be nice to see some other development in front of it as you go down the hill but I think Everyone is sensitive to blocking the view of a world famous, architecturally designed building.
No way the FAA is holding up that project. The developers are holding up that project. If the developers had the capability to start building, they would not let the FAA stand in the way. The approval would either be expedited or they would work around the height restrictions.

It doesn't seem like anybody can build a ten story building there, so why do we think somebody is going to build a 40 story building there?

Not sure why. Must be the cost of the land? It's been under developed for decades. Even prior to the PAC going in.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most likely developers are waiting to see if the Fed will reduce interest rates this year to the point that many projects pencil out again. Of course, that is a gamble because construction costs may continue increasing while they wait.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Didn’t the FAA, pretty much stall for months the apartment building in the River Market? There were a few other things but I recall the City getting involved to help streamline their 60 year policies & procedures. Granted developers are most likely waiting on better interest rates & most likely don’t have cash to start regardless. But the FAA thing is real & they roll at their own speed no matter what. Not saying it’s the true hold up but enough of a hassle to make a project not viable perhaps from an NOI perspective.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I understand the FAA thing is real, but I guarantee it's not the FAA holding up the project. If they wanted to get shovels in the ground, they would be doing a lot more to get FAA approval and if the FAA was truly holding up the project, the developers would be making a much bigger deal about it, possibly even litigation. And the city would be more involved in a resolution etc.

The west side of Broadway has seen so many proposals over the years, it's hard to even keep straight who is doing what there anymore or take any project there seriously till somebody announced they have a financed plan and start date.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

At least Denny's was an active business and a rare example of Googi design.