Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by beautyfromashes »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am But also, nothing the Royals have shown so far suggests they have assembled a team that can do any of this with the kind of precision that would be required on a delicate site like this so as to not blow up the neighborhood. Similarly, KCMO lacks the planning capacity (imho) to put the right policies in place to help ensure the surrounding area doesn't become parking lots or all gameday bars.
This is the truth!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:52 pm
Is there any way to shift it to the East and preserve that sliver of building structure on Grand partially instead of the partial on Locust
I’m fine losing that row of buildings on Grand. You’re not losing much (in my view) unless you like that Prime Bar (I hear it’s a problem business), a poke shop, event space, strip club and tattoo shop. The buildings on Oak are better to be saved since retaining those, and renovating them into bars and restaurants, would mean a better “natural extension” of the brewers alley area in the shadow of the stadium. You’re also not losing much of anything with Resurrection Church.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:42 pm Do the same thing with one of the smaller parks like Twins stadium.
This is what I’ve heard the plan will resemble. We’ll find out soon enough!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:55 am
Is there any way to shift it to the East and preserve that sliver of building structure on Grand partially instead of the partial on Locust
I’m fine losing that row of buildings on Grand. You’re not losing much (in my view) unless you like that Prime Bar (I hear it’s a problem business), a poke shop, event space, strip club and tattoo shop. The buildings on Oak are better to be saved since retaining those, and renovating them into bars and restaurants, would mean a better “natural extension” of the brewers alley area in the shadow of the stadium. You’re also not losing much of anything with Resurrection Church.
It's not about preserving the businesses (or even the existing buildings, imho) but about ensuring the kind of fine-grained ground level activation that is so absent from urban KC but which that particularly block has maintained. Sure, Prime sux and we'd all be happy to see it go, but a stadium fence that is dead most of the time fails the businesses on the west side of Grand. Which is why, at least in my viewpoint, it would be worth exploring whether a line of commercial facades could be incorporated into the base of a stadium or otherwise maintained.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’d be fine if they took the concept from the East Village Cherry Street elevation and applied it to the Grand facing side. I also hope that a Crossroads Ballpark blends classic design with modern. Not as modern as they wanted in East Village, but not old looking like Busch.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I would expect the main entry to face Truman, with smaller entrances at 17th and Grand and Oak. Something like the storefronts in that East Village rendering could work.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:09 am
It's not about preserving the businesses (or even the existing buildings, imho) but about ensuring the kind of fine-grained ground level activation that is so absent from urban KC but which that particularly block has maintained. Sure, Prime sux and we'd all be happy to see it go, but a stadium fence that is dead most of the time fails the businesses on the west side of Grand. Which is why, at least in my viewpoint, it would be worth exploring whether a line of commercial facades could be incorporated into the base of a stadium or otherwise maintained.
This has always been the plan. Ground level retail that’s open all year long. I think they have the worlds best sports architecture firm working on it, so that I trust.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

The more and more I think about it, I think the site East of the star building is by far the best. Keeps Oak open (by far my #1 priority) while giving you a bigger site to work with, doesn't disrupt the grid as much as the EV site (my #2 priority). I think it will work really well by fitting in the middle of everything in an area that is currently a pretty dead zone behind the star building which currently acts as a big wall.

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:49 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:42 pm Do the same thing with one of the smaller parks like Twins stadium.
This is what I’ve heard the plan will resemble. We’ll find out soon enough!
I mean the drawings I did are not purely from my imagination.

EDIT: Pending on how the village portion comes together, they could definitely shift to a more northwest facing orientation to allow for their own residential towers to have in-stadium views. Think One Cardinal Way type amenities in St Louis.
Last edited by DColeKC on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:42 am The more and more I think about it, I think the site East of the star building is by far the best. Keeps Oak open (by far my #1 priority) while giving you a bigger site to work with, doesn't disrupt the grid as much as the EV site (my #2 priority). I think it will work really well by fitting in the middle of everything in an area that is currently a pretty dead zone behind the star building which currently acts as a big wall.

There is no scenario where the star building remains.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:53 pm

Could open up left field upper seating area even more for better views of downtown skyline. Use your imagination.

In between T-Mobile Center and kansas city live.

Maybe this got buried or maybe people prefer copy and pasted google earth images.

This drawing is to scale. The stadium is modeled after a 32,000 seat stadium and similar in size to Progressive Field and Target Field. It’s oriented straight north like Progressive Field. The setting sun is mitigated by existing towers.

The block east of Oak may take longer to acquire but would 100% eventually be apart of the stadium Village.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

One big item I haven’t heard mentioned is what will happen with the interstate. Are the Royals going to cap it all the way to Locust? How big is that South Loop Cap gonna end up being…
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

EDIT: Accidental Post.
Last edited by DColeKC on Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:08 am One big item I haven’t heard mentioned is what will happen with the interstate. Are the Royals going to cap it all the way to Locust? How big is that South Loop Cap gonna end up being…
They would cap it from Grand to Oak, which is technically two additional blocks.Well, they would likely contribute to the overall project fund in order for it to get done, not manage or execute the project themselves.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:41 am

This has always been the plan. Ground level retail that’s open all year long. I think they have the worlds best sports architecture firm working on it, so that I trust.
I definitely agree that the best decision the Royals have made so far is retaining Populous.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:15 am

I definitely agree that the best decision the Royals have made so far is retaining Populous.
For sure! It's also in the Royals best interest to find ways to become landlords and generate revenue year round. The days of stadiums being dormant unless there is a game are over. I'm not saying all sides of the stadium would be active, but the Grand side would be no doubt.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:27 am The biggest plus side I can see with EC is the possibility of the Prime nightclub being removed. That place has been an absolute nightmare for downtown livability, but especially for those along Grand. If that disappears with this plan then I might actually be supportive
I mean if we tore down buildings only because of a problem bar we would be down at least 8 existing buildings. Deal with the problem not the physical location it is in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am You could build this in a way that either preserved or created new retail opportunities along Grand, maybe even one or two with a view into the stadium a la Fenway.

But also, nothing the Royals have shown so far suggests they have assembled a team that can do any of this with the kind of precision that would be required on a delicate site like this so as to not blow up the neighborhood. Similarly, KCMO lacks the planning capacity (imho) to put the right policies in place to help ensure the surrounding area doesn't become parking lots or all gameday bars.
You and I are the same. If we had a track record of something like this I may be way more agreeable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They also did sprint center and complained about the tight dimensions not allowing them to do what they wanted urbsn design wise. Now imagine a facility with double the capacity and the same width. They are good but they only can work with the space given.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:30 am
smh wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:32 am You could build this in a way that either preserved or created new retail opportunities along Grand, maybe even one or two with a view into the stadium a la Fenway.

But also, nothing the Royals have shown so far suggests they have assembled a team that can do any of this with the kind of precision that would be required on a delicate site like this so as to not blow up the neighborhood. Similarly, KCMO lacks the planning capacity (imho) to put the right policies in place to help ensure the surrounding area doesn't become parking lots or all gameday bars.
You and I are the same. If we had a track record of something like this I may be way more agreeable.
They're working with Populous which is a key member of the team. They didn't start working with Cordish, who has extensive experience in downtown development, stadium adjacent development, neighborhood revitalization, residential, office etc until late last year. Sure, I'm the cordish guy on here but I feel had they started working with them from day one, much of the hiccups would have been avoided and we'd have highly detailed plans and renderings by now.