Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

I've been holed up in my apartment all day overlooking east crossroads. I tossed these together purely to pass the time. I have no official knowledge of the plans or desired landing spot. This is just my personal preference.

One way to keep Oak Street in tact. Who doesn't love a windy road here and there. Also, the empty lots to the east of T-Mobile make great parking garage candidates. Nice and tucked away and useable by T-Mobile as well.

Could open up left field upper seating area even more for better views of downtown skyline. Use your imagination.

In between T-Mobile Center and kansas city live.

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:38 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:08 pm Fans will now be able to come into our downtown and park once. Walk or ride from hotel to food, fun, entertainment, baseball, movies, museums, retail and on and on. Talk about "urbanism" at it's finest.
Urbanism at its finest is people driving in from the suburbs and not moving their car. :roll:
Downtown will never grow if we only rely on its residents. I didn't think I needed to point out the walkability for residents though. However yes, bringing in visitors and creating a situation where they don't need to burn up and down the roads in a car to see all the things is a great way for citizens to interact with the built environment.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:48 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:24 pm Again the actual businesses currently occupying those buildings is irrelevant. Understand that is when you get to graduate. We have to quit tearing down our past. Nobody goes to a city enthralled with their newest building outside of Vegas.

Crossroads is growing already. It doesn't need this. EV expanded our functional downtown space and makes a better overall urban space and costs us no teardowns.
No teardown and hundreds of millions needed in infrastructure costs. East Village isn't even a better option if you're trying to save on site prep.

I'm not for tearing down historic of culturally significant buildings. That's why I'm ok with anything we're talking about in East Crossroads going. This city has plenty of history and a ton of buildings that will never be touched, they don't reside in East Crossroads.

I'm not into saving structurally and historically irrelevant buildings so older residents can get a sense of nostalgia when they walk by them once a month. I'm into development and improving downtown as a whole.

Ending up with the 2nd best option and a subpar baseball experience so a handful of people can reminisce as they watch the 50th business in 10 years move into a bland building in East Crossroads would be very disappointing. I'm worried about the future, not the past.
Trying to stereotype everybody wanting to save our past as "older residents" is just demeaning. Come on man. There is nothing more bland than new buildings built today. Plenty of examples to point to there around town.

Detail us the 100s of millions of dollars the EV site costs over the crossroads.
The city spent 110 million dollars almost 20 years ago on site prep and infrastructure for the power and light district. An area around 15 acres. East Village is around the same or slightly smaller and would require the type of work. East Village wouldn't likely require that type of major work.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I gotta say DCole has been right on his sources the whole time it seems. Hmmm.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

The point of this board isn't to prove you're sourced (I guarantee/know there are several that lurk here that are better sourced than anyone who posts). The point of the board is to debate the merits of urban developments.

That said, we're clearly at an impasse until more light is shined on the EC plans – it's been 10 pages of people talking past each other. Fun!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bspecht wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:34 pm The point of this board isn't to prove you're sourced (I guarantee/know there are several that lurk here that are better sourced than anyone who posts). The point of the board is to debate the merits of urban developments.

That said, we're clearly at an impasse until more light is shined on the EC plans – it's been 10 pages of people talking past each other. Fun!
I don’t understand your point. The last ten pages has been full of vigorous debate.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

EC ball park would have spectacular views of the AT&T building.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:40 am EC ball park would have spectacular views of the AT&T building.
The drawings I posted show how that can be mitigated and the fact that our downtown skyline could be the main view.

East Village would have spectacular views of nothing. Literally. Nothing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man it would be real cool to fit between grand and oak I just don't see any way that happens.3hivh is another fatal flaw of this site.

This site would also need the same level of infrastructure upgrades as pnl did and EV would.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I am strongly in the East Village camp as far as my preference. But if this is the way things are going the proposal must absolutely fit between Grand and Oak for me to make peace with it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I propose the immediate vicinity of this concept be re-christened "The Wiggle" if this comes to pass.

"Hey, where are you guys meeting up?"

"We're right past the Wiggle!"

JOKES ASIDE, this might also provide an opportunity, as Eon Blue hinted at above, to finally right size Grand and Oak into humane urban streets.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:53 pm Image
Would be interesting too, if somehow a street wall of small buildings (or, say, those that already exist) could be maintained along Grand and left field either stop behind them or somehow cantilever on top. Maybe out of the realm of possibility, but just thinking of ways to integrate a stadium into the urban fabric a bit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it would be a real shame to lose that line of buildings
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don’t think there’s any way they save those buildings and the ones on the west side are likely gone too. It’s just too valuable of property right across the street from the stadium and parking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We will never learn. Completely empty lot ready for a building only active 81 days a year and doesn't create development around it (based on posts here) and we instead drop this in our growing downtown neighborhood.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Maybe I’m misreading the drawings but is the concern really over losing an entire block of surface parking, the rape bar on the corner and some 1-2 story nothings? If nothing else it would reduce the amount of curb cuts tremendously.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Imarealperson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:25 am Maybe I’m misreading the drawings but is the concern really over losing an entire block of surface parking, the rape bar on the corner and some 1-2 story nothings? If nothing else it would reduce the amount of curb cuts tremendously.
My thoughts exactly
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Imarealperson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:25 am Maybe I’m misreading the drawings but is the concern really over losing an entire block of surface parking, the rape bar on the corner and some 1-2 story nothings? If nothing else it would reduce the amount of curb cuts tremendously.
That block has one curb cut. Again it's not about the current business as much as the actual buildings.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:31 am
That block has one curb cut. Again it's not about the current business as much as the actual buildings.
Which block? There’s one for the dry cleaner, 4 on McGee. Looks like fewer where the giant parking lot and “church” is.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm just talking the grand side. Again just one of many reasons this is a bad location, not the biggest reason