70%
East Crossroads
30%

Total votes: 43

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

POLL: Best Downtown Stadium Location

Post by DaveKCMO »

This it your opinion of the best, not your prediction of what will happen.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: POLL: Best Downtown Stadium Location

Post by Highlander »

At the moment, I'd select East Village but that could change given the actual proposal for the East Crossroads and knowing the full extent of which businesses were impacted and their willingness to sell. Any proposal that preserves the Star printing press would be a no go. There just isn't really much information yet.
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

I plan to vote NO on the tax renewal if the ballpark location is not established prior to the vote.

If the result is East Crossroads I will be a definitive no. This is not a place for cataclysmic development. We should be past this and certainly shouldn't subsidize it.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Dave's X poll currently sits at 75% East Village, 25% East Crossroads after 150+ votes. https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 3248918696
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Interesting reading the comments on Daves poll. Shows how much ignorance is out there and just confirms that Dave only likes crossroads and the streetcar. Suggesting that leveling an underutilized area in the crossroads is comparable to leveling PNL or T-Mobile is asinine but par for the course. Who decided this guy was the mayor of the Crossroads? Your streetcar wouldn’t even be up and running without all that investment you seem to despise. What makes downtown great is the River Market, PNL AND crossroads. Take away just one of those and the streetcar never happens.

Edit: Take away any one of those three neighborhoods and we wouldn't even have a MLB team considering downtown baseball.

Not sure why it needs to be turned into a PNL Vs Crossroads debate or comparison.
watcher64110
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by watcher64110 »

Thanks for calling people ignorant for expressing their opinion.

I think this is a pretty relevant discussion, actually. These areas are adjacent to, and have started to been become real neighborhoods and its reasonable to say their character could take a dramatically different turn with the introduction of another high-volume/low-frequency venue. Nearby resident voices should matter.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Because we all know Cordish is behind the East Crossroads push to pad the lid and their residential towers. So transparent. Good luck with all of that goodwill you’ve earned in the community.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:21 pm Because we all know Cordish is behind the East Crossroads push to pad the lid and their residential towers. So transparent. Good luck with all of that goodwill you’ve earned in the community.
This shows how little you know. The CITY is behind this location. How many months ago did I say this was the Mayors favorite location? That was weeks and weeks before John Sherman even had his first official conversation with anyone from Cordish. Why am I not surprised you're attempting to make Cordish the villain though? Talk about transparent. This is the one and only play in your playbook.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

watcher64110 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:18 pm Thanks for calling people ignorant for expressing their opinion.

I think this is a pretty relevant discussion, actually. These areas are adjacent to, and have started to been become real neighborhoods and its reasonable to say their character could take a dramatically different turn with the introduction of another high-volume/low-frequency venue. Nearby resident voices should matter.
I'm not calling all opinions ignorant. I'm not saying that residential voices shouldn't be heard, of course they should be.

What I'm talking about is the ignorant comments about parking, traffic and the team not "deserving a new stadium until they win". I mean today I saw a comment by someone suggesting the Royals should stay at The K and offer senior citizens discounts, partner with nursing homes to help transport their residents to the games because, "that will help increase attendance and their grandkids will come too." He ended his comment with, "Come on Royals, think!". He was 100% serious. That's the epitome of ignorance.

I fully support everyone being able to express their opinions. Just as I can call many of them ignorant.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

You're twisting words, no one here is trying to keep the Royals at the K. Stop bad faith acting by taking one side's argument and lumping them into the rest. Calling people ignorant because they don't agree with you just really hits home.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:31 am You're twisting words, no one here is trying to keep the Royals at the K. Stop bad faith acting by taking one side's argument and lumping them into the rest. Calling people ignorant because they don't agree with you just really hits home.
I haven’t called anyone’s opinions here ignorant. I clearly said this was from comments made on X, not on here. While I fully disagree with some opinions on this forum, people here are much more educated on this topic and you’re correct, I’ve not seen anyone advocate to keep the Royals at the K which make sense considering we are all downtown development fans.

So who’s twisting words here?

I literally spelled out an example I saw on X of what’s unequivocally an ignorant comment. Unless you think partnering with nursing homes to get more senior citizens to the K in order to boost attendance is a valid idea.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:42 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:21 pm Because we all know Cordish is behind the East Crossroads push to pad the lid and their residential towers. So transparent. Good luck with all of that goodwill you’ve earned in the community.
This shows how little you know. The CITY is behind this location. How many months ago did I say this was the Mayors favorite location? That was weeks and weeks before John Sherman even had his first official conversation with anyone from Cordish. Why am I not surprised you're attempting to make Cordish the villain though? Talk about transparent. This is the one and only play in your playbook.
Oh, I'm aware of the Mayor's position. Cordish has the most to gain other than Rosie Biondo, rather than the city itself (which has spent a lot of taxpayer money clearing East Village). That's worth calling out. The Crossroads has nothing to gain, and various city leaders have been trying to remake the neighborhood for decades (and have failed).
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:04 am
DColeKC wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:42 pm
Oh, I'm aware of the Mayor's position. Cordish has the most to gain other than Rosie Biondo, rather than the city itself (which has spent a lot of taxpayer money clearing East Village). That's worth calling out. The Crossroads has nothing to gain, and various city leaders have been trying to remake the neighborhood for decades (and have failed).
If you're aware of the Mayors position, why do you feel the need to cast Cordish as the villain? I don't know how many times I need to say this but I've been told, directly by Blake Cordish that they'll help get a downtown baseball stadium regardless of location because they believe it's a great thing for downtown as a whole.

I think any developer who has invested hundreds of millions of dollars into an area would be negligent if they didn't try to steer such a monumental project as a MLB stadium to a location that would best serve their investment.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think this is more about using a space that is ready to go and in an area of downtown that has struggled to have any kind of development for decades. Even with the EV location being a "stones throw away" from the vibrant P&L it has sat vacant with now movement. This is an opportunity to kick start development on the East side of downtown and the stadium be a huge catalyst the will trigger other development near the EV site. I assume Cordish would be fine with development opportunities South of 13th Street and South of Truman Rd/15th along the Charlotte & Holmes corridors (even Cherry). Or perhaps same area but to the North of 9th street (or 8th, as I'm not sure the boundary of EV to the North). At any rate there is going to be opportunities for Cordish regardless. Would they prefer being involved with the Crossroad location and the other investors there, sure they would but if EV is the best overall location I am confident in their ability to develop around it and take advantage of opportunities. They have shown a wonderful ability to do so thus far downtown. I see no reason why they would stop.

Also I assume that if EV is selected there are still development plans for the former Star Printing press building & those developers will move forward, again maybe as not 100% how they would like but knowing the stadium will be a few blocks away. Plus I'm sure they will still develop the surrounding area with new projects to be in place of where the stadium was proposed.

I look at this in a more practical way. An opportunity to create a vibrant and distinct new neighborhood in the EV, continue to allow the CorssRoads to grow in the fashion it has proven to be successful over the years and the P&L will still continue to grow and evolve and take advantage of being able to connect to their new neighbor at the EV.

For me it is all about seizing an opportunity to transform an area in the EV that has stood vacant & depressed for too many years. If it goes to the CrossRoads it goes to the CrossRoads, so be it. But if it does go to the CrossRoads I think it will be a major miss for the city & the EV will languish behind for years even after the ballpark is up and running. The EV will develop if the stadium goes to CrossRoads but for how long and to what extent is the question. IMO, I'd guess it would develop at a fraction overall if the stadium was there, and I'm not just talking about the ballpark footprint but the surrounding blocks of development
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Any other day than one in which I held a ticket to a baseball game, a ballpark and the attendant types of businesses that would plant themselves around it would make me want to visit the Crossroads less, not more. The Crossroads has it's own thing going. It doesn't need a bunch of big sports bars and a ballpark to work.

It we want to hand over land to private interests to make a village of their own design then let them do it on a blank slate that was cleared over many years for just such a big master development instead of the neighborhood that has spent decades slowly developing it's own value and continues to do so year after year.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Let's keep the discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=12692