Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Cratedigger »

I hope the Royals keep their promise from the listening sessions that voters would know what they are voting on.

As it stands right now, that is not the case. We'll see how much changes in 4 months...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not sure the chiefs or royals know, other than money. It's not ideal.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AllThingsKC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:22 pm I could see 71% voting against it right now.
Had lunch today with a few people who live in KC/JaCo and some of the comments were:
Didn't want a downtown stadium
Frank White is an ass - most likely due to the reassessment fiasco but for other reasons also
NKC can have the team - don't want tax money going for the team, no particular comment about tax money for the Chiefs
Sherman first of all is a businessman who wants as much government support he can get and is playing the different locations for team relocation against each other to get the best deal he can.
The two stadiums were built at the same time by the same contractor using the same materials. How come one still be usable for another 25 years and another one basically a complete disaster that the team has to move.
And of course when the dust settles the team will remain at the TSC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:10 am
AllThingsKC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:22 pm I could see 71% voting against it right now.
Had lunch today with a few people who live in KC/JaCo and some of the comments were:
Didn't want a downtown stadium
Frank White is an ass - most likely due to the reassessment fiasco but for other reasons also
NKC can have the team - don't want tax money going for the team, no particular comment about tax money for the Chiefs
Sherman first of all is a businessman who wants as much government support he can get and is playing the different locations for team relocation against each other to get the best deal he can.
The two stadiums were built at the same time by the same contractor using the same materials. How come one still be usable for another 25 years and another one basically a complete disaster that the team has to move.
And of course when the dust settles the team will remain at the TSC.
What makes you think Arrowhead is usable for another 25 years? It was renovated in 2010 and already needs another renovation according to the Chief's ownership. Usable needs to be qualified.

The team (Royals) won't be at TSC when the dust settles. That's about the only thing in this entire stadium conversation that is certain. The Royal's stay at Kaufman may be protracted by a few years but it will not be their permanent home. They will either find a suitable location downtown (possibly elsewhere in the metro but that's a low probability) or leave the metro entirely for another city and that will be the end of MLB in Kansas City. Be careful what you wish for.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I know I'm preaching to the choir but:

Arrowhead does need as much work as Kauffman. The difference is it makes more sense to pour a ton of money into a very extensive renovation of Arrowhead than doing the same for Kauffman.

The location of Arrowhead is fine (despite the area around it being a total shit show now).

A massive renovation would still maintain the iconic bowl of Arrowhead where a new stadium would not.

A new NFL stadium would cost more than 2 billion, twice as much as a new MLB stadium.

Relocating the stadium will do little for the Chiefs or the city/metro. It would actually harm the city if moved too close to the city. MLB is the opposite. A new Royals stadium would help the team and also improve the area where it is built.

Most people I talk to in KC are in Jackson County (city and suburbs) and I really don't see a Royals stadium tax passing in Jackson County (for a downtown stadium). Hopefully there are some solid backup plans.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

GRID wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:45 pm I know I'm preaching to the choir but:

Arrowhead does need as much work as Kauffman. The difference is it makes more sense to pour a ton of money into a very extensive renovation of Arrowhead than doing the same for Kauffman.

The location of Arrowhead is fine (despite the area around it being a total shit show now).

A massive renovation would still maintain the iconic bowl of Arrowhead where a new stadium would not.

A new NFL stadium would cost more than 2 billion, twice as much as a new MLB stadium.

Relocating the stadium will do little for the Chiefs or the city/metro. It would actually harm the city if moved too close to the city. MLB is the opposite. A new Royals stadium would help the team and also improve the area where it is built.

Most people I talk to in KC are in Jackson County (city and suburbs) and I really don't see a Royals stadium tax passing in Jackson County (for a downtown stadium). Hopefully there are some solid backup plans.
100% agree with everything except maybe the election since I expected the airport vote to fail and it easily passed. If the 2 stadiums are tied to a single election, it will probably pass especially after a big PR push from Chiefs using players like Mahomes. City loves the chiefs too much.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dnweava wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:35 pm

100% agree with everything except maybe the election since I expected the airport vote to fail and it easily passed. If the 2 stadiums are tied to a single election, it will probably pass especially after a big PR push from Chiefs using players like Mahomes. City loves the chiefs too much.
Yeah if both stadiums are on the ballot, I think it has a much better chance. I was talking about a Royals Stadium only tax. Especially if it's for 40 years. Because then you still have the Chiefs to deal with too. You never know though. It could pass.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

there won't be a royals tax vote only.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the only way the baseball stadium gets built is if it's part of a two-stadium financing plan and Mahomes is out front and center to convince the public to back it.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Highlander wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:44 am
What makes you think Arrowhead is usable for another 25 years? It was renovated in 2010 and already needs another renovation according to the Chief's ownership. Usable needs to be qualified.
According to what the Chiefs have said. For now that is what they are planning on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Well said.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Bob Fescoe 2h
@bobfescoe

As the stadium saga turns...a new favorite location has emerged and comes with a plan that seems very very odd. We will discuss it tomorrow..also next week looms as a very significant week for keeping both the Royals and Chiefs in Jackson county. We will get after it tomorrow AM
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I mean is this anything other than privitera trying? I wouldn't read anything into this other than a willing media taking a story.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah that was a nothing burger
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Fescoe said the Crossroads site is now the favorite and around 140 businesses would be eminent domained. Usual chat too about Frank White being unhelpful.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

E. Crossroads is still favorite site. This business guy needs to let the process happen though and keep his suggestions private. The parties involved have tried to do the same lately.

And once more, just because it’s the favorite doesn’t mean it will happen. “It’s complicated”.

sincerely, the guy “who knows nothing”
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think lots of folks, including those who know nothing, underestimate how the public looks unfavorably on the use of eminent domain. It is unpopular and a dangerous addition to an already difficult argument (public financing of the stadium, even if just a fraction). It is also incredibly expensive and takes a lot of time – potentially years if there are lawsuits.
Of course, we all have our opinions but mine is that E.D. use is emphatically unAmerican unless it is for the public good. Making that case for a baseball stadium is a big 7th inning stretch.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Rusty Irish wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:35 am Fescoe said the Crossroads site is now the favorite and around 140 businesses would be eminent domained. Usual chat too about Frank White being unhelpful.
Just a quick interjection about the use of imminent domain. The mayor said months ago he would be willing to use this if needed at the EC site. Fescoes comment about 140 businesses being impacted isn’t accurate at all. Of course other means would be attempted first and it’s more likely you’d only have a few hold outs.