OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC is the way to be!
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

So the Food and Bev component is what that sounds like, something that hopefully shouldn't be too hard to sort out.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:10 pm KC Wheel House fails inspection

https://www.kctv5.com/2023/12/12/spinni ... nspection/
Another half assed KC project? No way!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:12 pm

Wait until I tell you how many residential builders fail inspections…
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:22 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:12 pm

Wait until I tell you how many residential builders fail inspections…
Did the apartments by UMKC that lasted like 5 years pass theres originally?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

The Wheel is opening to the public tomorrow at noon.
KC is the way to be!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

hope they eventually bury all those overhead lines around the wheel & area. I like what they have done & excited to see a new area open up. But those powerlines are distracting.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Jblanco wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:09 pm
JohnKCMO wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:29 pm If Union Station was willing to give up the parking fronting the building, they could extend Washington Park further West.
That parking lot in front of US is the dumbest parking lot in the city. It's as bad as if they tore out the front of City Hall and put in a surface lot. But people will make every stupid excuse in the world to keep it. The Block fountain should have went there where pedestrians can actually enjoy it, making the front yard of Union Station a grand plaza. Instead the entire front of US is a totally car-centric cesspool.[rendering of US's parking lot in front of KC City Hall] https://link.shutterfly.com/LVj0uK6MtFb
you know there is a parking garage under the city hall plaza right? Union station also has parking garage below that surface lot so they are actually very similar.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

dnweava wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:39 am you know there is a parking garage under the city hall plaza right? Union station also has parking garage below that surface lot so they are actually very similar.
WTF are you talking about? So what if both have a garage underneath. They are not similar, US has an ugly surface parking lot right in front of it. I even made a rendering superimposing US's ugly parking lot in front of City Hall for you to understand.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Jblanco wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:00 pm
dnweava wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:39 am you know there is a parking garage under the city hall plaza right? Union station also has parking garage below that surface lot so they are actually very similar.
WTF are you talking about? So what if both have a garage underneath. They are not similar, US has an ugly surface parking lot right in front of it. I even made a rendering superimposing US's ugly parking lot in front of City Hall for you to understand.
I meant they are structurally the same thing, just swap out the US surface level parking with a plaza and they'd be the exact same thing (plaza over underground parking...) No need to be so rude in your response.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

With the new garage that parking lot could/should/needs to go away. Personally I'd close the north leg of Pershing while we're at it and make a nice big plaza. South leg can handle the traffic.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No need to put in another sun baked lawn that would die for lack of water and heavy foot traffic. Just consider the space as a piazza and replace asphalt with granite pavers.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:51 pm No need to put in another sun baked lawn that would die for lack of water and heavy foot traffic. Just consider the space as a piazza and replace asphalt with granite pavers.
The plaza in front of Veronas train station is one I’ve often used to cite what US should do with that front parking lot
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:50 am
moderne wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:51 pm No need to put in another sun baked lawn that would die for lack of water and heavy foot traffic. Just consider the space as a piazza and replace asphalt with granite pavers.

The plaza in front of Veronas train station is one I’ve often used to cite what US should do with that front parking lot

I checked out the front of that station. It seems cluttered and unused. I'd love to see something grand that also ties in the entry to the Liberty Memorial across the street like the Mayo Plaza in Buenos Aires.
https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/2VewKM6X ... ed6cb1.jpg
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Jblanco wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:50 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:50 am

I checked out the front of that station. It seems cluttered and unused. I'd love to see something grand that also ties in the entry to the Liberty Memorial across the street like the Mayo Plaza in Buenos Aires.
https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/2VewKM6X ... ed6cb1.jpg
I’m not necessarily speaking to the mess of bus/car/bike lanes directly infront, but the paver plaza across, with direct access to the below parking garage, and the significant landmark directly opposite. More so a demonstration of the concept in small scale. US would obviously have much more space to play with, as well as landscaping, hardscaping, and activation for foot traffic.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Kansas City Wheel Drone footage
https://youtu.be/N9Or_9esHgY?si=4Opi_5gr543Hy2fg
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

So has this generated any intrests from people? Anyone taken cool pics they want to share?
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCKev wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:32 pm So has this generated any intrests from people? Anyone taken cool pics they want to share?
I’m waiting for the other components to open up. I walk by it often though. On nicer days, you see some people playing mini-golf but it’s not a busy place (at least yet).
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When I look at these photos, I focus on the wasted space fronting the east side of Broadway because of the IRS Processing Center's set-back. It seems such a waste.