Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by gfisch95 »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:03 am Kansas city is weird as well because like no one watches them? I know not literally, but they're not easy to watch.

Because Google is so popular here and the team is so shit, most people don't bother. So many people I would visit would have them on in the background, but now I never see them on.

They're really losing cultural attachment here and I think need to rethink their tv contact and what it's like to be a mlb club.
Unfortunately, Bally Sports is a big problem all over the place for MLB, they represent like 15 teams broadcasting rights. Their broadcasts are essentially unavailable and their ownership company has filed from bankruptcy from what I know, even missed payments with some of the other teams they represent.

And then of course on top of that MLB blacks out your local team if you buy MLB.TV, ridiculous.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

We've got one more season of Bally's at most, it might even collapse before then. Cable's dying anyways, I wouldn't be shocked to see MLB just bring everything not national in house & just remove the blackouts from their stuff.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:18 am We've got one more season of Bally's at most, it might even collapse before then. Cable's dying anyways, I wouldn't be shocked to see MLB just bring everything not national in house & just remove the blackouts from their stuff.
yeah that regional deals are horrible and MLB knows it. They just have to ride it out and I assume they have a big NFL Sunday Ticket level plan ready to go.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

gfisch95 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:06 am
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:03 am Kansas city is weird as well because like no one watches them? I know not literally, but they're not easy to watch.

Because Google is so popular here and the team is so shit, most people don't bother. So many people I would visit would have them on in the background, but now I never see them on.

They're really losing cultural attachment here and I think need to rethink their tv contact and what it's like to be a mlb club.
Unfortunately, Bally Sports is a big problem all over the place for MLB, they represent like 15 teams broadcasting rights. Their broadcasts are essentially unavailable and their ownership company has filed from bankruptcy from what I know, even missed payments with some of the other teams they represent.

And then of course on top of that MLB blacks out your local team if you buy MLB.TV, ridiculous.
Commissioner said they don't want to do blackouts, but they don't own the rights for the local markets. Plan is to move TV broadcasting under the MLB for the whole league.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, if I'm the royals I would take less money to get out of Ballys. It's more important for people to be able to watch your games.

It will pay off long term.

I always use my parents as an example. Always had the royals on. When Google fiber ended cable, they tried DirecTV streaming because it included the royals, but it is a truly horrific product. Switched to YouTube tv which doesn't include it.

Tried the Bally's trial and were like this is expensive and we're really shit. So the entertainment gets replaced by doing something else. Now it's like we don't even know any off the current players names, why would we pay again?

The royals need some help on how they're being run. It's just strategic fuck up after fuck up.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:05 pm
This is, ahem...NOT the Royals's organizational model.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:33 pm
Also I’ve been wondering for months now why they don’t just vote with KCMO only.
Because the Northland voters would tank it unless it gets built up north.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:05 pm
Also I’ve been wondering for months now why they don’t just vote with KCMO only.
Maybe, KC is known for local self interest making it difficult to get things done that benefit the entire metro - but - downtown is literally a 5 minute drive (if that) from the proposed NKC stadium site. A downtown stadium for most northlanders would be considerably closer than TSC. Not sure what their issue would be other than the same old unfounded parking, crime and traffic fears.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

GRID wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:02 am And some people would rather live in Joplin than KC. What is your point?
My point is that I'm an enormous baseball fan, and a huge Royals fan, but beyond the economic impact (which is increasingly questionable given the enormous outlay of public money), I'm not so foolish as to fail to understand that the MLB is, in fact, not really that "important to the city". If having an MLB team was meaningful in the (utterly meaningless and stupid) race "overtake" other cities in population growth, then no one would be moving to Nashville, or Portland (if people still move there, IDK), or Charlotte.

The idea that professional sports matter that much to the city is like listening to people who want to go to a specific BBQ restaurant because "they have the best sides".
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

chingon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:57 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:05 pm
This is, ahem...NOT the Royals's organizational model.
US sports in general need to get rid of the tanking to be good model (which the royals even fail at), but that's what the owners and players have bargained for so whatever.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ok and you could make the same argument about “suburban Jackson Co will tank it if it’s downtown”

You end up in the same spot, except there’s a far bigger share or urbanites voting for KCMO than Jackson Co overall.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:44 pm
Ok and you could make the same argument about “suburban Jackson Co will tank it if it’s downtown”

You end up in the same spot, except there’s a far bigger share or urbanites voting for KCMO than Jackson Co overall.
How much of KCMO would you consider is "urban"? Probably river to 63rd and state line to 435. So a few hundred thousand? Take that and subtract the east side who tends to always vote no on items like this and many areas like Hyde Park etc probably won't support it either as it stands right now.

The Royals still have not done any PR on "why" they need a new stadium. Right now the only PR they have helping their mission is the team might move to KS and maybe that will be enough, who knows.

However voters could call their bluff or just not care if they moved to KS so they wouldn't have to pay for it. Problem is they are not moving to KS. I just don't see how the Royals could survive on the KS side. They would create more problems than they solved.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Just my experience, but sentiment on East Side for any stadium tax is negative be it county, city, extension of 3/8. Think the K has concrete problems, how about concrete sidewalks that have dissolved into random fragments? Park and Blvd hardscapes damaged by car wrecks that never gets repaired because there is no budget for repairs. Endless trash and graffitti. Hard to talk about the bigger picture and growing the pie with the reality people live.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

moderne wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:17 pm Just my experience, but sentiment on East Side for any stadium tax is negative be it county, city, extension of 3/8. Think the K has concrete problems, how about concrete sidewalks that have dissolved into random fragments? Park and Blvd hardscapes damaged by car wrecks that never gets repaired because there is no budget for repairs. Endless trash and graffitti. Hard to talk about the bigger picture and growing the pie with the reality people live.
And it is only going to get worse before it gets better, because it will never get better.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

"We can't afford to plow the streets when it snows, fix potholes, or solve crimes, but dammit we need to build stadiums because if we don't, the rich people will take their literal and metaphorical balls and go somewhere else!" I can't believe this isn't being met with a collective, "K, bye."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Do you think plowing roads will be easier without a pro team?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

mean wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:37 pm "We can't afford to plow the streets when it snows, fix potholes, or solve crimes, but dammit we need to build stadiums because if we don't, the rich people will take their literal and metaphorical balls and go somewhere else!" I can't believe this isn't being met with a collective, "K, bye."
Having overbuilt infrastructure for the last half century, yeah, I’d say we shouldn’t bumble an opportunity to concentrate uses on existing infrastructure, generate more tax revenue, put less wear and tear on car infrastructure with an exclusively car accessible stadium. Losing baseball in the city isn’t the end of the world, but it definitely wouldn’t help the tax case in this city I can assure you, and no services will improve just because they leave.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

We're bad at doing X therefore we shouldn't spend money on Y is generally a stupid argument as well.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

The Chiefs have not engaged in serious conversations with outside parties about a move across the state line, sources told me, a sentiment confirmed to The Star’s Katie Bernard by Brianna Johnson, a spokeswoman for Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly.
"This partnership has served us well for over 50 years, and we look forward to working with them to enhance the amazing community asset that GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium has become.” Where do those talks stand now? “We have not heard back from the county,” Donovan said.
It is not yet clear with whom the Chiefs should negotiate their new lease: White and his staff, or the Hardwick Law Firm recently presumably hired to handle negotiations, or a newly formed stadium improvements committee within the Jackson County legislature. Separately, each of those entities has voiced a degree of authority over such talks, some even in conversations with The Star in the last two weeks.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 53078.html
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

bspecht wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:28 pm
It is not yet clear with whom the Chiefs should negotiate their new lease: White and his staff, or the Hardwick Law Firm recently presumably hired to handle negotiations, or a newly formed stadium improvements committee within the Jackson County legislature. Separately, each of those entities has voiced a degree of authority over such talks, some even in conversations with The Star in the last two weeks.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 53078.html
What a mess. It's literally the Jackson County Sports Authorities SOLE role, and they are failing to do it.