New downtown on street parking rolloout

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: New downtown on street parking rolloout

Post by KCPowercat »

I saw a new confusion today. 10th and Walnut. A block marked "standard parking rate" by the new signs. App says can pay for an hour and past that says "see signs". I assume the app means the old signs which said one hour parking. Why not use the normal new 1 hour parking signs.

Next block, different/old set of signs to use the kiosk only. Silly.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The app charges a service fee on top of the parking charge. Kiosks charge a minimum of 1 hour. How the heck can I play by the rules to run in and grab my to go order without paying a dollar for under 5 minutes of street parking?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Capitalism is going to capitalize.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:11 pm The app charges a service fee on top of the parking charge. Kiosks charge a minimum of 1 hour. How the heck can I play by the rules to run in and grab my to go order without paying a dollar for under 5 minutes of street parking?
This is idiotic and goes the opposite of a stated goal of wanting to move cars quick for business' customers. Most blocks around crossroads have no kiosk in sight.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I personally hate it when cities do their own parking aps rather than using one of the more widely used aps. As a visitor, it's just annoying to have to install, create a profile, add a credit card etc all to park for 15 minutes. I must say the parking ap signs I did see in KC were confusing but I didn't download the ap.

However, I was still in KC and because of that it didn't really matter. There is still so much free parking there it's absolutely mind boggling and I really didn't seen any parking enforcement at all, but only being there a week it's hard to tell.

I do know that we stayed in both the Cascade Hotel on the Plaza and the Crossroads Hotel and were able to park overnight within 50 feet of the hotel entrances for free with no problem with dozens of spaces available if I wanted to walk a block. Really unheard of in any urban area, even cities much smaller than KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Had 6-8 different people yesterday meeting up in crossroads. All of them specialize in attention to detail. Not one of them realized the new parking signs meant they had to pay. Any notation of "paying" is in the smallest font on the new signs. Why didn't the signs say "# Hour Pay Parking".

It seems deliberately confusing. Another botched rollout of pay parking downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:59 am Had 6-8 different people yesterday meeting up in crossroads. All of them specialize in attention to detail. Not one of them realized the new parking signs meant they had to pay. Any notation of "paying" is in the smallest font on the new signs. Why didn't the signs say "# Hour Pay Parking".

It seems deliberately confusing. Another botched rollout of pay parking downtown.
They're not done with the signage.

Yes, they should have waited to put the purple informational signs up before changing out the red/green regulator signs (which will say things like "PAID PARKING 7 DAYS A WEEK"). It's some legal thing why there are two sets of signs, but that doesn't explain why they changed one first but not the other.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

but they are ticketing already? I don't know this I've not parked in these areas.

IMO they shouldn't have opened up for payment until they are done either.

Additionally those regulatory signs from the samples I've seen only say the days of week payment is required, not times. Also unnecessarily confusing/misleading. Have to go the kiosk/app to figure that out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:08 am but they are ticketing already? I don't know this I've not parked in these areas.

IMO they shouldn't have opened up for payment until they are done either.
You will get a ticket if you've had one already. If you haven't, we're still in the grace period.

I totally agree about the uneven deployment. It's all in the hands of city staff and LAZ Parking.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^This is LAZ parking Dave? As in Alan and Marcia Lazowski of Hartford? My old neighbors LOL.
They're also the company that privatized Chicago's parking. Get ready for costs to go up :')
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:18 pm ^This is LAZ parking Dave? As in Alan and Marcia Lazowski of Hartford? My old neighbors LOL.
They're also the company that privatized Chicago's parking. Get ready for costs to go up :')
Yes, they won a competitive procurement to manage downtown KC parking. I think it also includes the garages, but I've been mostly paying attention to on-street meters and enforcement.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:44 pm
herrfrank wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:18 pm ^This is LAZ parking Dave? As in Alan and Marcia Lazowski of Hartford? My old neighbors LOL.
Yes, they won a competitive procurement to manage downtown KC parking. I think it also includes the garages, but I've been mostly paying attention to on-street meters and enforcement.
This explains about everything about this piss poor rollout. I can't see any way they can start charging if they aren't even done updating the signs to be consistent and right.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So does Laz write tickets for all parking violations or just care about their zones? I swear I see a lot of parking in no parking zones not by Laz parking areas and nobody ever has a ticket, with more of the Laz people around seems suspicious.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:07 pm So does Laz write tickets for all parking violations or just care about their zones? I swear I see a lot of parking in no parking zones not by Laz parking areas and nobody ever has a ticket, with more of the Laz people around seems suspicious.
I believe Laz just has jurisdiction downtown, which is where most of the parking regulations beyond yes/no are located. PD does the rest.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:07 pm So does Laz write tickets for all parking violations or just care about their zones? I swear I see a lot of parking in no parking zones not by Laz parking areas and nobody ever has a ticket, with more of the Laz people around seems suspicious.
I believe Laz just has jurisdiction downtown, which is where most of the parking regulations beyond yes/no are located. PD does the rest.
Yeah I was meaning downtown where Laz operates but not directly where there signs may be. So like over 18th and Wyandotte for example, do they ticket over there and if not who is(n't)?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:44 pm
Yeah I was meaning downtown where Laz operates but not directly where there signs may be. So like over 18th and Wyandotte for example, do they ticket over there and if not who is(n't)?
That would/should be Laz.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:55 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:44 pm

That would/should be Laz.
Thanks. I don't feel like I ever see them anywhere in crossroads.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ij just saw (and I think someone posted this) they charge 50 cents on any app transaction. so 15 minutes becomes 75 cents. If they aren't going to put kiosks on every block, that's beyond ridiculous.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm still irrationally angry about something that doesn't really impact me. I get all kinds of questions from friends on this so I pay more attention. A few of my latest observations

- We still don't have standard signage for all downtown parking
- The "legal" signs that were supposed to be added that are green and clearly state when paid parking is needed has never been added
- Main street still doesn't have signs saying paid parking but it has kiosks
- Laz people are in no way patrolling outside of where they have their new signs
- The new signs that say "standard parking rate" vs. the colored "# Hour parking" make no sense.