New downtown on street parking rolloout

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

New downtown on street parking rolloout

Post by KCPowercat »

Can anybody make heads or tails out of the new paid parking expansion especially in the crossroads. I see new signs popping up daily. Some streets have kiosks, some don't. Some streets are signed then the next block down, nothing. The signs aren't consistently placed and I could see drivers missing the fact they need to pay depending on where they start paying attention to signs.

Then on Main street through the crossroads, they had added kiosks but there are none of the new brightly colored signs.

The new signs don't tell you hours payment is required in that zone which would also be super helpful to not have to punch that into the app every time some wants to park and check payment hours.

Then in river market and CBD we have some of the same signs but then payment kiosks are different. Why can't we ever get one approach to on street parking downtown? It's always been this way and continues to be a mess.

As the "downtown" guy for my friends I have to answer these questions despite me hardly ever parking downtown.

The city's website is partially updated to reflect the changes but still leaves a lot to be desired information wise.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: New downtown on street parking rolloout

Post by DaveKCMO »

We've tried to make them communicate the changes...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Tbf, my building in the crossroads sent us out the full details on our surrounding blocks and the enforcement dates a week or so ahead of time.

I'm sure we were one of the worst offenders with people trying to park for free. They also sent out a handful of emails about break-ins and tried to get people off the street.

So there was outreach.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:19 pm Tbf, my building in the crossroads sent us out the full details on our surrounding blocks and the enforcement dates a week or so ahead of time.

I'm sure we were one of the worst offenders with people trying to park for free. They also sent out a handful of emails about break-ins and tried to get people off the street.

So there was outreach.
Yes, done by CCA.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:31 pm We've tried to make them communicate the changes...
Even a map would be nice. I don't get why we can't rollout anything properly.
maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Post by maison rustique »

If residents are confused, imagine how visitors to the area feel.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

maison rustique wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:41 am If residents are confused, imagine how visitors to the area feel.
Exactly. I'm trying to make heads and tails of it as I get asked when people come downtown.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

This slide from a Parking presentation in Business Session a couple weeks ago notes different parking "programs" in a few areas.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The simplified regs have not been implemented yet.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That map being published is what I was hoping to find and yes the reg simplification would help the confusion (although why not hours on any of the signs)
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Looks like a nice step in the right direction. When friends and family come from the burbs into downtown, they always complain about parking and the confusion in general. I don't agree with them but anything we can do to make it more simple for visitors, I support.

Next, let's tackle the food delivery drivers who think they have permission to crank of the hazards and just park in a drive lane.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:06 am Looks like a nice step in the right direction. When friends and family come from the burbs into downtown, they always complain about parking and the confusion in general. I don't agree with them but anything we can do to make it more simple for visitors, I support.

Next, let's tackle the food delivery drivers who think they have permission to crank of the hazards and just park in a drive lane.
I agree if they would be more consistent with it. The signage is kinda messed up in some places either not enough of it or facing where a drive won't see it, no kiosks in many areas, no QR code to quickly download the app, no times on when enforcement takes place, etc.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:06 am Looks like a nice step in the right direction. When friends and family come from the burbs into downtown, they always complain about parking and the confusion in general. I don't agree with them but anything we can do to make it more simple for visitors, I support.

I counted 13.... THIRTEEN!!!! vehicles illegally parked with their hazards on Main street a couple weeks ago on a single trip down the street.(all but 1 in the turn lane, but 1 was on the streetcar tracks...) Some regular people, a few delivery trucks, USPS, Fedex, etc. Public works (city workers) have been getting bad lately at leaving trucks in the turn lane and eating lunch at Costentinos too... The block with DGX always has people just leaving their car in street to use the ATM across the street or to shop there. Picklemans always has 3-4 delivery drivers illegally parked on Walnut and that block always has at least 7-8 people illegally parked on the east side that is a no parking zone, I've never seen a vehicle ticketed on that block . People are always blocking both lanes in front of one light's main entrance and half the time is a freaking power and light ATV blocking 1 of the 2 lanes and then a delivery driver will block the other lane... YEAH! I've had BOTH lanes blocked on 13th before. A couple weeks ago I even saw truck at a meter with a handwritten sign in the window that said "don't ticket, I'm a construction worker"...LOL...

How about ATT building at 11th/McGee. There are always 2-3 ATT/Verizon trucks that illegally parked on 11th there everyday for years on end.

or the fedex store in the Pickwick building... There is ALWAYS a Fedex/UPS truck blocking a lane and 2 people parked ON the sidewalk across the street even though there is an entire street of empty parking meters across 9th. Sure, there is always a metermaid giving tickets to expired meters on that block while they literally drive by people parked in the street or on the sidewalk... it's freaking absured. I guess they only have jurisdiction at metered spots since they aren't cops?

And don't get me started on people that park in the ADA spots. I literally watched somebody pull out of a handicap spot only for somebody else to pull into it 10 seconds later at a QT last week... the parking lot was 50% empty and certain people just DGAF and just park at the front door. You know it's bad when I've been noticing lately QTs have been putting up signs that specially say delivery trucks are not allowed to use those spots...
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

> Where do we find the parking enforcement times?

> Is there a grace period for quick errands? I just went to Ibis on Grand to pickup a prepaid loaf of bread over the lunch hour. It was literally waiting for me in a bag on the shelf so I was going to be in and out in 45 seconds, but parking enforcement was hanging around Walnut and 17th like hawks, taking down my license plate the moment I parked. Not having the app yet, I walked a block in the wrong direction to the nearest kiosk and discovered that there was a 1 hour minimum ($1), so I couldn't use the quarter I brought with me to feed the meter. I have the app now so can charge the quarter to my card if running a quick errand, but still, what an annoying hassle.

> Are there any plans to sell parking pass stickers for residents or frequent visitors?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

dnweava wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:14 pm

I counted 13.... THIRTEEN!!!! vehicles illegally parked with their hazards on Main street a couple weeks ago on a single trip down the street.(all but 1 in the turn lane, but 1 was on the streetcar tracks...)
Center turn lanes are used as loading zones in almost every urban environment and is encouraged since the alternative is blocking a travel lane. Welcome to the city?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:02 pm

I counted 13.... THIRTEEN!!!! vehicles illegally parked with their hazards on Main street a couple weeks ago on a single trip down the street.(all but 1 in the turn lane, but 1 was on the streetcar tracks...)
Center turn lanes are used as loading zones in almost every urban environment and is encouraged since the alternative is blocking a travel lane. Welcome to the city?
It's one thing when it's UPS or food services making deliveries. It's another awful thing when someone slams on their brakes to put hazards on to go & pick up someone's lame Chipotle. It's different.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:02 pm

We have alleys, we have marked loading zones, we have loading docks, surface lots everywhere, parking garages everywhere, open parking metered spots everywhere, etc

One trip onto google streetview and I can verify everywhere that people illegally park without recourse

there have been ATT vehicles illegally parked here every day for at least a decade, and it makes the intersection dangerous as you can't see oncoming traffic if you are on Mcgee.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qN4r1m9rTEgXK7Zt9

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xFLFkVwZDYq9oGyA9

you always have to snake down this street if both lanes aren't blocked
https://maps.app.goo.gl/MLFtsUHjk2RFW7zU8

literally a ton of open parking spaces, and they still left their car in the middle of the street
https://maps.app.goo.gl/cMEt8uLKvzVPdMHQA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Yhf7GvkNhfXdq9WM8

literally 10 cars in a row parked in a no parking zone:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/XxrDjFfqnAnXBgoU7

NOT ONLY is he illegally parked, he is facing the wrong way on a one way street:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/p9xTBfdMtctw86Uw7

50ft from an open parking spot, blocked a driving lane instead:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LXW8Ea5opeuGNfcg7

pull 30 feet forward and he'd be legally parked, nah, just park illegally instead and block the area where people merge.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/A51FKDqcepvJMWQBA

https://maps.app.goo.gl/11UUzwNXHFkFJX156

As a rule follower, I get so angry seeing all these illegal parkers while I have gotten petty tickets like parking too close to the intersection in a marked parking spot. I should have just left my hazards on and left my car in the street and I'd have been fine...
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

File this under urban living pet peeves but I agree this is incredibly frustrating.

Especially all the people illegally parked on 13th by Cosentinos and yardhouse. When they’re loading a concert into the midland and people are also parked illegally on the south side of 13th, that stretch is a mess
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:57 am File this under urban living pet peeves but I agree this is incredibly frustrating.

Especially all the people illegally parked on 13th by Cosentinos and yardhouse. When they’re loading a concert into the midland and people are also parked illegally on the south side of 13th, that stretch is a mess
You know what also be nice is if everyone that has legitimate reasons to close lanes, like The Midland could all use the same equipment to clean up the look. Some use barricades, others cones and it just looks like construction zones.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:03 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:57 am File this under urban living pet peeves but I agree this is incredibly frustrating.

You know what also be nice is if everyone that has legitimate reasons to close lanes, like The Midland could all use the same equipment to clean up the look. Some use barricades, others cones and it just looks like construction zones.
+1 to this

As it is what they have adds to the confusion. I’ve seen trucks have to park on Baltimore instead of the area on 13th by the loading zone because cars thing the cones put up to block the area off are just designating a parking zone