Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by Highlander »

Any ideas on when the Plaza acquisition by HP Village Partners will be wrapped up?

I am curious as to what their first moves will be? I don't hold out much hope for a pedestrianized mall anytime soon but I do hope they can get the gaping hole where Nordstrom's was to be located occupied in a good way quickly.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17 pm Any ideas on when the Plaza acquisition by HP Village Partners will be wrapped up?

I am curious as to what their first moves will be? I don't hold out much hope for a pedestrianized mall anytime soon but I do hope they can get the gaping hole where Nordstrom's was to be located occupied in a good way quickly.
Due Diligence and financing will take a while. No guarantees the deal closes. The massive hair cut will bring the deal size down so you open up the pool of potential investors but the fact the valuation drop was soo large will hurt the investment thesis.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Highlander wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:17 pm Any ideas on when the Plaza acquisition by HP Village Partners will be wrapped up?

December is what was reported
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Once the deal is said and done, I'm sure top priorities will be building repairs/improvements and filling the Nordstrom lot, as well as other vacancies.

Stores without Kansas City-area locations that have been expanding and could make sense:

Allbirds
Alo Yoga
Aritzia
Golden Goose
Gucci
Interior Define (reported to open on the Plaza but no update)
Levi's (same as Interior Define)
Louis Vuitton
Nespresso
Suitsupply (closed at Town Center Crossing and said they wanted to relocate in KC)
TravisMathew
Zara
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City PBS is broadcasting a special on the history of the Country Club Plaza.

November 9 at 7 p.m. on Kansas City PBS and YouTube.

https://www.kansascitypbs.org/local-sh ... ols-folly/

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy3qsah ... BiNWFlZA==
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Church going into Jack Henry building. https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 90a2e7ea6c
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Would that be the Christian Science church that is giving up their stately home next door?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

bspecht wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:54 pm Church going into Jack Henry building. https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 90a2e7ea6c
So a church, a gym, and overrated put put golf. What a home run for the plaza
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Metro wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:52 pm
bspecht wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:54 pm Church going into Jack Henry building. https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 90a2e7ea6c
Grid Jr.?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:40 pm
Metro wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:52 pm

Grid Jr.?
:lol: sorry I just feel like that's a prime spot thats wasted its potential like everywhere else on the plaza the last decade +. I go to Chiefs Fit its nice but has some major issues with the design. I've talked to the GM about I could go into more detail if you'd like.

The Puttery is a cool concept but fails. It's more about their overpriced cocktails which are average at best. The put put takes a backseat and is kinda weak.

Idk how many people attend that church seems like they are just trying to fit in into the last spot of that building as part of the agreement to tear down their building.

A grocery store on that whole bottom level would have done great IMO. Or a small theater like the Tavoli maybe they should some newer movies or some classics and have a narrator for the movie buffs & a stage where they could do shows like the Westport Coffee house & the new Westport Bowery. All of that would attract more traffic and give people staying around the area something to do close by and help other businesses around the area.

I just don't see how anything other than the gym is attracting much to that building.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... nings.html

No surprise here, but Macerich officially booked a 107.7 million dollar loss related to the Plaza. Highwoods Property shareholders and executive team laughing their ass off somewhere...
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Highwoods bamboozled Taubman and Macerich.. and Kansas City honestly.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

KCPT on Friday ran a half hour program "Nichol's Folly" a concise history of the Plaza and its current status. Never knew one of the sites considered by Highwoods for Ponsinelli was the Classic Cup block, right in the center of the bowl. Lots of cameos by city leaders and an old photo of Emmanuel Cleaver from 50 years ago looking like Shaft.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Never knew they blockaded the plaza with tanks during the '68 riot. So telling.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Country Club Plaza Diners Seek More Local Flavors

Hopes Surge That New Owners Lure More Local Chef-Driven Restaurants
David Block, president of Block & Co. Inc. Realtors, which has offices in the historic Skelly Building, sees “a significant amount of transition” on the Plaza. Steep rents have pushed local independent operators to other parts of the city.

Block takes credit for initially bringing Houston’s to the Plaza in the mid-1980s. The restaurant remained for 30 years but left in 2017, leaving the space they occupied vacant.

“People had to come here to eat at Houston’s,” he says.

Other iconic restaurants, also have left the Plaza. Bristol Bar & Grill, now Bristol Seafood Grill, headed south to Town Center Plaza when its lease was not renewed, then returned to the Missouri side of the state line with a downtown location.

“Hopefully, this (trend) can be rectified with new ownership, and they can rent properties at a rate local and regional tenants can afford,” Block says. “We need more exclusive types of restaurants that you can only frequent on the Plaza.”
https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/coun ... l-flavors/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:53 am KCPT on Friday ran a half hour program "Nichol's Folly" a concise history of the Plaza and its current status. Never knew one of the sites considered by Highwoods for Ponsinelli was the Classic Cup block, right in the center of the bowl. Lots of cameos by city leaders and an old photo of Emmanuel Cleaver from 50 years ago looking like Shaft.
If you missed it on KCPT, it's on Youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqVsh-XzRXs&t=7s
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Streetcar, More Housing May Help the Country Club Plaza

Shoppers at the Country Club Plaza already are helping pay for the streetcar extension even though its not scheduled to run for two years. That’s because it’s part of the Transportation Development District established for the new line.

The TDD adds a one-cent sales tax on purchases and also a property tax surcharge. Gerend believes it will be a good investment.

“We’ve seen a strong trajectory building on the incredible growth that we saw in terms of economic impact and sales tax growth in the downtown district,” he said.

“After a few years, sales taxes went up 56 percent in the downtown TDD versus 16 percent citywide over same period,” Gerand said. “Downtown small businesses are benefiting from movement of people up and down Main Street.”
https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/stre ... lub-plaza/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Flatland in Focus | The Future of the Country Club Plaza

https://flatlandkc.org/in-focus/flatlan ... lub-plaza/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Flatland has yet another new Plaza article saying the new owner is a Jane Jacobs fan.