Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:34 pm Which major long lines buildings were closed without replacement?

I am aware that intermediate microwave stations closed. Not aware of any long line centers that closed without replacement. Care to provide examples?
In my limited research, most of the long line facilities closed were smaller buildings with larger towers. Which makes sense when the microwave antennas were obsolete after installation of fiber networks.

There have been some converted to residential, like the Pacific Bell Long Lines building in L.A. http://www.historicplacesla.org/reports ... 6c84bbe2f7
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:27 pm I'm absolutely against any plan that closes Oak. Considering Grand is closed half the time and the 670 park deck is going to close 1 or 2 streets, Oak is needed. I use Oak all the time, it's easily my most used North-South street through downtown/crossroads.

Another example I made using Camden park for scale. it loses some of the buildings along gra
I haven't seen traffic studies but in my experience Oak is very underutilized. I drove around this area today and Oak felt desolate directly outside of the Star press building. Not to discount your personal concerns but I don't see this going along Grand due to the fact it would require the demolition of even more existing buildings.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Every street in downtown KC feels desolate. I'm sorry but that's just fact :P

There are no busy streets in downtown KC. It's still annoying that Grand is always closed though.

Downtown KC (including crossroads/crown center and midtown) streets are so dead most of the time, it actually bothers me for some reason. I'm just not used to that anymore.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Even with the bike lane, this street desperately needs either some traffic and people or a road diet or both.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0945484 ... ?entry=ttu
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:30 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:34 pm Which major long lines buildings were closed without replacement?

I am aware that intermediate microwave stations closed. Not aware of any long line centers that closed without replacement. Care to provide examples?
In my limited research, most of the long line facilities closed were smaller buildings with larger towers. Which makes sense when the microwave antennas were obsolete after installation of fiber networks.

There have been some converted to residential, like the Pacific Bell Long Lines building in L.A. http://www.historicplacesla.org/reports ... 6c84bbe2f7
So my point stands. There aren’t any (besides minor mostly microwave stations) that have closed with out a nearby replacement.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Impossible things posted ITT past 24 hours.

Longlines going away
A major league stadium built over an active interstate

Listen id love the star building replaced, it just impacts too much of the neighborhood surrounding it on either side and that's not even considering impacts beyond the stadium footprint itself.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:04 am
DColeKC wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:30 pm

So my point stands. There aren’t any (besides minor mostly microwave stations) that have closed with out a nearby replacement.
I didn’t know you were trying to make a point. I’m not trying to counter or win a battle here. My point was that the long lines building could in fact be converted. I didn’t say it was easy and agree it’s complicated but it has been done.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:18 am Impossible things posted ITT past 24 hours.

Longlines going away
A major league stadium built over an active interstate

Listen id love the star building replaced, it just impacts too much of the neighborhood surrounding it on either side and that's not even considering impacts beyond the stadium footprint itself.
Impossible? If impossible why has this been done before?

The long lines building going away isn’t a requirement, it’s a possibility. Building over the interstate has been done and is more than reasonable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Where has a pro stadium been built over an active interstate? Man if that could happen sure that's a lot more doable but there is zero way that happens.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

If the stadium could indeed be built over the interstate as in Dcole's mock up then I'm a lot more open to the idea as it would significantly reduce impact to existing neighborhood and buildings. But likewise I'm super skeptical of the feasibility. Really need to see the actual plan in hand before I can pass final judgement for myself.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:23 am Where has a pro stadium been built over an active interstate? Man if that could happen sure that's a lot more doable but there is zero way that happens.
Target Field.

Blake Cordish and the mayor wouldn’t be wasting time if this wasn’t possible.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like the ideas and being curious about options. But why now? Why not have given this more conversation when it was first introduced. This just gives the appearance of the Royals Ownership and Team Executives not having there stuff together. This just adds to a narrative out there of incompetency. Not only can they not develop players and pay for free agents and or keep the players that are good they happen to develop. They can't even decide on the easiest of things as to where to put the stadium. I mean the EV is the slam dunk on a 2ft goal. It's a can't miss given everything they have done to prepare this site for the stadium. Property controlled by members of the ownership team. Pretty much a blank canvas of land to develop and one that the city has been begging to get developed for decades. A spot that would create a whole downtown East to West. North to South, as opposed to squeezing it into the CrossRoads, an area that has already developed and is continuing to grow and flourish.

It's time to take your development energies and move forward with the EV. Name the site and start showing the public what you intend to do with it. Start to sell the vision of downtown baseball in the EV. Show what that site will become and hell even speculate on what development it can spur in the surrounding neighborhoods, etc. Point is, and excuse my French "stop fucking around" and let's make a decision and move forward. Have confidence in the decision and build the plan to execute it. You will never please everyone and it is foolish to try to do so. But make your plan, stick to it and make tweaks as needed but it's now time to execute the plan. More stuff like new sites or floating this idea or that only leads to more eye rolling and loss of trust in the public. They may think they are doing a good thing by saying "hey look, we are exploring all options". If anything it is having the reverse effect and says "we really have no idea what we are doing at this point. just trying to build downtown".
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:47 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:23 am Where has a pro stadium been built over an active interstate? Man if that could happen sure that's a lot more doable but there is zero way that happens.
Target Field.

I think Target field mostly comes right up against the interstate but not actually over it. The right field entrance / plaza area and a parking garage are bridging the interstate trench. There is a small section of N 3rd Ave that becomes a highway on-ramp which is underneath a narrow section of right and center field seating. A similar configuration at this east crossroads site might work (with a left field entrance / plaza connecting with an extended highway cap park)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cordish absolutely HATES the idea of an EV entertainment district that would have the potential to pull activity from P&L. I think they'd do anything to kill it including sowing dissention between the parties or clouding the negotiation with a "potential other site", one that is completely unviable. If the choice for them is between a Johnson County site for the Royals or EV entertainment, Cordish would prefer Johnson County. And I think that's now where this is going. You'll hear a Kansas play very soon.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:08 am Cordish absolutely HATES the idea of an EV entertainment district that would have the potential to pull activity from P&L. I think they'd do anything to kill it including sowing dissention between the parties or clouding the negotiation with a "potential other site", one that is completely unviable. If the choice for them is between a Johnson County site for the Royals or EV entertainment, Cordish would choose Johnson County. And I think that's now where this is going. You'll hear a Kansas play very soon.
Not the case at all. Cordish has offered its help regardless of EV or Crossroads location. Yes, they much prefer crossroads but if that doesn’t pan out, they’ll do what they can to support the EV site.

They would never do anything to kill a project like this and that’s an asinine thing to suggest.

They Royals will never end up in Kansas. Not even if the stadium is 125% publicly financed.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:49 am I like the ideas and being curious about options. But why now? Why not have given this more conversation when it was first introduced. This just gives the appearance of the Royals Ownership and Team Executives not having there stuff together. This just adds to a narrative out there of incompetency. Not only can they not develop players and pay for free agents and or keep the players that are good they happen to develop. They can't even decide on the easiest of things as to where to put the stadium. I mean the EV is the slam dunk on a 2ft goal. It's a can't miss given everything they have done to prepare this site for the stadium. Property controlled by members of the ownership team. Pretty much a blank canvas of land to develop and one that the city has been begging to get developed for decades. A spot that would create a whole downtown East to West. North to South, as opposed to squeezing it into the CrossRoads, an area that has already developed and is continuing to grow and flourish.

It's time to take your development energies and move forward with the EV. Name the site and start showing the public what you intend to do with it. Start to sell the vision of downtown baseball in the EV. Show what that site will become and hell even speculate on what development it can spur in the surrounding neighborhoods, etc. Point is, and excuse my French "stop fucking around" and let's make a decision and move forward. Have confidence in the decision and build the plan to execute it. You will never please everyone and it is foolish to try to do so. But make your plan, stick to it and make tweaks as needed but it's now time to execute the plan. More stuff like new sites or floating this idea or that only leads to more eye rolling and loss of trust in the public. They may think they are doing a good thing by saying "hey look, we are exploring all options". If anything it is having the reverse effect and says "we really have no idea what we are doing at this point. just trying to build downtown".
I disagree with you that EV is a slam dunk. Issues exist mostly on how it would be operated. There’s a very reasonable answer to why this site is back in play and now the leading contender but I’ll have to share that information far later down the road.

I’ve seen a lot more excitement online about this location than others. Which I was surprised by. I think the public is having a hard time understanding the extras outside of the stadium itself. They see those things as rich man greedy items even though they wouldn’t be paying for it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Target Field.

Okay cool, we maybe able to hang over the edge a bit. Looks like maybe they have two lanes actually under seating. When I first read Target Field I as thinking it was all to the side.

Encouraging. I still don't see MoDot being okay with it or spending cash for it
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:32 am
Target Field.

Okay cool, we maybe able to hang over the edge a bit. Looks like maybe they have two lanes actually under seating. When I first read Target Field I as thinking it was all to the side.

Encouraging. I still don't see MoDot being okay with it or spending cash for it
If some of the park project funding can come from this stadiums construction budget, it checks another box. I think the money needed to build the support structure over the interstate would have to come from the royals. MoDot essentially consults and oversees construction?

This is all speculation on my end.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:08 am You'll hear a Kansas play very soon.
Already started. Fescoe on 610 sports was saying this morning that an anonymous stadium insider told him people need to stop thinking about this as a Royals only deal and you can’t separate out the Chiefs. If the Royals stay at Kaufman the Chiefs will look to move to Kansas. This was the best way I could find to link the section. It’s Part 11 at about 9:12 this morning. https://www.audacy.com/stations/610spor ... Id=101-892

Seems like posturing and talk radio chatter more than anything but Kansas is already getting thrown out there as a scare tactic.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The Chiefs president casually said Kansas is an option months ago but Clark reeled that back a bit.

I’ve not heard a single mention of Kansas for the royals as that would be completely different than the stated goal of downtown baseball.