Hammer's Piano Bar: 39th and Main

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Hammer's Piano Bar: 39th and Main

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Apologies if this was already posted elsewhere (I can't find it), but a new Piano Bar is planned to go into the building at the southeast corner of 39th and Main. It'll be able to hold around 240+/- people. It seems like the old bank drive-thru will be removed in favor of an outdoor patio. Exact owns the property and previously intended to renovate the exterior look, but I'm unsure what happened to that idea. The architect is STAK Architects.

The business is seeking a special use permit because, according to the Main Street Corridor Overlay "an entertainment venue with 150 – 499 capacity and a tavern/bar/nightclub with a gross floor area equal to or greater than 3,000 sq ft must obtain a Special Use Permit to be sited at the proposed location."

Sounds like a neat concept and should bring a fair amount of people to this intersection.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... f311fd8fe0
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Hammer's Piano Bar: 39th and Main

Post by Cratedigger »

Cool concept. Love the use of the bank drive thru

Between this, Canary, and the French Quarter restaurants, this stretch of Midtown is turning into a fun spot
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

How will all of this be sustainable? I know they are all kind of different concepts but you have Tin Roof in Westport that is a big space, you have the new Jukebox Heroes Bar in that huge space where ramen shop was, Westport Ale House is basically just a nightclub kind of place now, Fountain Haus, Off Key Karaoke, Uptown Lounge Piano Bar is up the street and you have to compete with a lot of these similar venues in different parts of the metro. Are Piano/Music Bars the new Hookah Bars of Midtown?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I think the Streetcar extension helps bring more people do the businesses on Main than we'll give it credit for. As for the Westport stuff, that attracts a crowd of its own and should be ok. KC needs more nightlife spots and things to do, especially as younger folks begin moving in and the value of taking short trips to KC increases over the coming years. And if venues do things right, each can coexist and attract their own unique crowds.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I wish they’d redo the corner of the building so that the entrance is at that curve, or at least add some larger windows. It feels so closed off and pedestrian hostile as it currently exists.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:55 pm Apologies if this was already posted elsewhere (I can't find it), but a new Piano Bar is planned to go into the building at the southeast corner of 39th and Main. It'll be able to hold around 240+/- people. It seems like the old bank drive-thru will be removed in favor of an outdoor patio. Exact owns the property and previously intended to renovate the exterior look, but I'm unsure what happened to that idea. The architect is STAK Architects.

The business is seeking a special use permit because, according to the Main Street Corridor Overlay "an entertainment venue with 150 – 499 capacity and a tavern/bar/nightclub with a gross floor area equal to or greater than 3,000 sq ft must obtain a Special Use Permit to be sited at the proposed location."

Sounds like a neat concept and should bring a fair amount of people to this intersection.
Isn't that where KKFI is at? Would they move?
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

Metro wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:55 pm Apologies if this was already posted elsewhere (I can't find it), but a new Piano Bar is planned to go into the building at the southeast corner of 39th and Main. It'll be able to hold around 240+/- people. It seems like the old bank drive-thru will be removed in favor of an outdoor patio. Exact owns the property and previously intended to renovate the exterior look, but I'm unsure what happened to that idea. The architect is STAK Architects.

Isn't that where KKFI is at? Would they move?
A midtown kc now person told me at an old Hyde park neighborhood meeting that it would go downstairs and not affect kkfi upstairs though I’m curious about the sound.