Shoal Creek Valley Neighborhood Plan

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Shoal Creek Valley Neighborhood Plan

Post by alejandro46 »

New home construction

Starbucks

Fareway Meat Market

I walk by here all the time so big fan of the 10’ sidewalk in the car dependent northland.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:34 pm
Yes, I also heard the same rumor in the same location. I think Rob McGee's passing may have delayed any announcement, but I think it makes sense to open it there and it would do very well. Will keep digging into it.
I think any modestly upscale restaurant in that development would kill it. There's just nothing really in that entire corner of the metro and so much nice housing right around it. Tremendous opportunity for someone.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A large parcel of land the Mormon Church owns in KCMO has been placed on the market. The 533 acres are bounded by I-435, N.E. Shoal Creek Parkway, and Highway 152. Another parcel sits northwest of I-435 and NE Soccer Drive. Addition parcels are bounded on the south by Highway 152 and on the north by NE Barry Road from I-435 and NE Shoal Creek Parkway.

Last month the Mormon Church put up 1,860 acres of land for sale in Lee's Summit.

https://fox4kc.com/news/huge-undevelope ... ay-county/

https://www.blockandco.com/kc/news/display=258

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.209073, ... ?entry=ttu
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

About time that church started selling some of their land in metro KC. I hate it when churches land bank like that. Churches should have to pay property taxes like everybody else.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Wish it could be developed as new urbanism, not continuing the present pattern. At least should add some thousands to the KCMO population.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think Norton Commons, in Louisville, KY, would be a good model of development for that land. At the very least, it places SFHs on smaller narrow lots, places home garages in alleys, and utilizes narrow streets to calm traffic. It also mixes housing types, hides surface parking, and mixes in commercial structures nicely.

https://www.instagram.com/nortoncommonsky/

https://nortoncommons.com/blog/norton-c ... ity-award/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Louis ... ?entry=ttu
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

FangKC wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:46 pm A large parcel of land the Mormon Church owns in KCMO has been placed on the market. The 533 acres are bounded by I-435, N.E. Shoal Creek Parkway, and Highway 152. Another parcel sits northwest of I-435 and NE Soccer Drive. Addition parcels are bounded on the south by Highway 152 and on the north by NE Barry Road from I-435 and NE Shoal Creek Parkway.

Last month the Mormon Church put up 1,860 acres of land for sale in Lee's Summit.

Churches of all denominations are struggling as organized religion continues to lose favor among the youth of America. There will be plenty more of this to come as these organizations try to stay afloat.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

w00lyb00ger wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:14 pm
FangKC wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:46 pm A large parcel of land the Mormon Church owns in KCMO has been placed on the market. The 533 acres are bounded by I-435, N.E. Shoal Creek Parkway, and Highway 152. Another parcel sits northwest of I-435 and NE Soccer Drive. Addition parcels are bounded on the south by Highway 152 and on the north by NE Barry Road from I-435 and NE Shoal Creek Parkway.

Churches of all denominations are struggling as organized religion continues to lose favor among the youth of America. There will be plenty more of this to come as these organizations try to stay afloat.
The Mormon Church is divesting a lot of resources away from this area and into Idaho.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I thought the Mormon doctrine said that Jesus would return to Earth and set up his global headquarters near Independence, Missouri. Did the KC Metro lose another potential headquarters?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Idaho letting them kind of do whatever they want is the short friendlier way to explain it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They'll be disappointed when Jesus shows up, housing prices skyrocket, and they remember they gave up all that land.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Mormon parcel has been divided into 18 parcels.

Northland development land near Interstate 435 and 152 Highway now up for sale
The listing from Block and Company advertises development opportunities on 18 tracts from 1.42 acres to 84.3 acres.
The Clay County Economic Development Council has already endorsed a plan for the land called Project 587.
https://www.kmbc.com/article/northland- ... e/45053476

Project 587 development plan

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B4-p4e ... qp516/view
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

FangKC wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:55 pm I thought the Mormon doctrine said that Jesus would return to Earth and set up his global headquarters near Independence, Missouri. Did the KC Metro lose another potential headquarters?
Bringham Young changed things up when the Governor of Missouri made it legal to kill Mormons. They said “deuces MO” & got the hell out of here. It’s quite a fascinating history
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

In the line for reparations, MO owes the LDS for Mormon hunting season. What would the area be like if there was a town like Salt Lake at Far West up near Cameron?
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:20 pm
FangKC wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:55 pm I thought the Mormon doctrine said that Jesus would return to Earth and set up his global headquarters near Independence, Missouri. Did the KC Metro lose another potential headquarters?
Bringham Young changed things up when the Governor of Missouri made it legal to kill Mormons. They said “deuces MO” & got the hell out of here. It’s quite a fascinating history
Looks like they’re saying deuces to KC anyway. They’ve more or less taken over a few small towns in north Missouri in the last decade or so.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Well, having worked with members of the LDS church for over a decade I can tell you they are plentiful in KC Metro. But they great and a amazing group of people I worked for and with. Marketing Company, good times.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Hawthorn Bank is coming to Valley View Shops at Shoal Creek per the "Coming Soon" sign. This is where my grandparents bank out in small town MO and they like them, but we definitely don't need another bank branch up here there are a zillion.

Tried to go to Fareway on Sunday but it's closed. A bit odd day to be closed for a grocery store. I did go to new Total Wine in Liberty. They recently purchased the Lukas Liquor in Overland Park and either the Liberty location as well or it's likely closing (not sure). Either way odd for them to open across the road instead of just taking their lease/location over. The store did seem like an upgrade over Lukas . The selection seemed larger and nicer quality and higher stacked shelves and a built-out enclosed cigar room. I always shopped at Total Wine when I lived in Arizona as they had best prices and selection so it's nice to have them here as well.

Next time I take a drive around I'll post updated pics of the area.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Meddys coming to shoal creek shops. Meshuggah also opening by end of year.

All sidewalks should be this wide, but I hate how you have to walk all the way around the roundabout to cross.

KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

alejandro46 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:54 am
Tried to go to Fareway on Sunday but it's closed. A bit odd day to be closed for a grocery store. I did go to new Total Wine in Liberty. They recently purchased the Lukas Liquor in Overland Park and either the Liberty location as well or it's likely closing (not sure). Either way odd for them to open across the road instead of just taking their lease/location over. The store did seem like an upgrade over Lukas . The selection seemed larger and nicer quality and higher stacked shelves and a built-out enclosed cigar room. I always shopped at Total Wine when I lived in Arizona as they had best prices and selection so it's nice to have them here as well.
Yeah I agree, it's odd Fareway is closed on Sunday's. I tried to go there to get something to grill for a Chiefs game only to find they were closed.

Total Wine is phenomenal and I believe the largest liquor retailer in the country. From talking to a client that reps liquor brands, he said Total Wine has figured out how to skip some levels of alcohol taxes so look for tags that say Direct Spirits or Direct Wine (because those are discounted more heavily). In Missouri, they have their app and you can earn cash back (plus discounts) on purchases in addition to different levels of rewards. The app and cash toward purchases isn't legal in Kansas so if you have a choice to hit the Kansas store or a MIssouri one, definitely buy in MIssouri. Total Wine is worth the drive if you're buying more than an item or two. Definitely the nicest liquor store I've ever been in.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KCFan wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:48 am
alejandro46 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:54 am
Yeah I agree, it's odd Fareway is closed on Sunday's. I tried to go there to get something to grill for a Chiefs game only to find they were closed.

Total Wine is phenomenal and I believe the largest liquor retailer in the country. From talking to a client that reps liquor brands, he said Total Wine has figured out how to skip some levels of alcohol taxes so look for tags that say Direct Spirits or Direct Wine (because those are discounted more heavily). In Missouri, they have their app and you can earn cash back (plus discounts) on purchases in addition to different levels of rewards. The app and cash toward purchases isn't legal in Kansas so if you have a choice to hit the Kansas store or a MIssouri one, definitely buy in MIssouri. Total Wine is worth the drive if you're buying more than an item or two. Definitely the nicest liquor store I've ever been in.
Interesting, good to keep an eye out.

I did visit Fareway on a random weekday a week or two ago to get dinner stuff. Surprisingly larger grocery selection than I expected and the prices seemed reasonable. Covered all your basics including fresh fruit, veggies, dairy, pet stuff, large alcohol selection and the back wall was the differentiation of the butcher counter with a lot of prepared foods and cuts not typically available at your Hyvee/Price Chopper. We got some kabobs and chicken pinwheels. They also had a bunch of prepared sides that looked good (giant tub of burnt end mac).

I don't think I posted it on here, but The Upper Cut (https://www.facebook.com/theuppercutkc/) is building a new stand-alone store past Home Depot, and after visiting, although there's some obvious overlap, I don't really think they are that comparable. Uppercut is a butcher shop with high-end Akushi steak, sides and prepared sandwiches while this is more like a grocery store with just an expansive meat selection. If you want to go spend $20 an OZ on getting the best steak, people are still going to go to UC. I think Fareway is more going after Hyvee or Price Chopper customers who want a better meat selection and still get the basics they need there without going through the larger format store.