Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

Metro wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:54 pm This is over much like most of us predicted. Welcome downtown royals
Won't pass a vote
Based on what?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Some of these comments on here you read about the stadium speculation you just shake your head in bewilderment at this point in the game.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:50 pm Some of these comments on here you read about the stadium speculation you just shake your head in bewilderment at this point in the game.
It's clear the Royals want to be in the EV. But I think it's also clear, unless I am missing something huge in how the 3/8 cent sales tax and bond issuance would be structured, that the Jackson County counteroffer is inadequate. Again, I would defer you to a municipal finance expert.

It's a negotiation, sure, but the sides still seem very far apart (perhaps on the order of 100-200 million). Keep in mind, the counterproposal was sent to the Royals on Thursday 10/12. It was also leaked to the KC Biz Journal on 10/12. So this is a very new development.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Option 2: 300-350 million dollars over a twenty-year-period."
The Royals take out a 20 year loan with these funds paying P&I over that period. Clearly the county is unhappy with the team leaving TSC and this shows it.

"Won't pass a vote"
At this point of time that is quite possible.

"
The State kicked in with the rebuild of Busch Stadium in 2006 through infrastructure realignments, so the precedent has been set. I imagine the State would be involved with some infrastructure (mostly highway) work associated with the East Village. It's the same deal the Cardinals had."
Different time and different makeup of the state government. Plus St. Louis carries more political weight than KC.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Surplus, kind of an "you scratched their back, we'll scratch yours now" for KC helping pay for the STL dome, & Parson wanting a big project to show off when he goes into the private field after this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:19 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:19 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:54 pm This is over much like most of us predicted. Welcome downtown royals
Won't pass a vote
Based on what?
Exactly. This will pass any Jackson co vote.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:37 pm Surplus, kind of an "you scratched their back, we'll scratch yours now" for KC helping pay for the STL dome, & Parson wanting a big project to show off when he goes into the private field after this.
You don't know Mike Parson very well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I think the Royals are going to need more help from the state than just infrastructure modifications. Maybe the Royals are only asking for state help for surrounding infrastructure?

I hope the state really steps up though and considers a proper rebuild of the east loop. Especially if they don't help much with the stadium itself.

The mods they did to 64 in StL were pretty minor compared to what is really needed with the the east side of the KC's downtown loop. That east loop and all its bridges and interchanges needs to be totally rebuilt and that's not something that should be an afterthought after a stadium is built.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ Actually it looks like the overpasses on the east loop have been refurbished recently. Admiral, 8th, 9th and 10th. So that could be a good thing if those bridges can be worked into a future east loop rebuild.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

Clay County actually passed the zoo sales tax along with Jackson so it's not unheard of that other counties could work together for a community benefit.

I still like the NKC site for the Chiefs (not sure how you finance it though). I just think with a site like that, we'd get Final Fours, Super Bowls, and other major events. Then you could extend the street car from downtown and you'd get major benefits with all the hotel stock already downtown. I think the more vibrant we can make downtown, the more attractive of a city KC becomes in attracting more people to the metro area. It's just like Nashville, not that many people live downtown, but create a vibrant core and it attracts people into the community. Suburbia just doesn't have the vibrancy that you get in city centers.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCFan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:28 am Clay County actually passed the zoo sales tax along with Jackson so it's not unheard of that other counties could work together for a community benefit.

I still like the NKC site for the Chiefs (not sure how you finance it though). I just think with a site like that, we'd get Final Fours, Super Bowls, and other major events. Then you could extend the street car from downtown and you'd get major benefits with all the hotel stock already downtown. I think the more vibrant we can make downtown, the more attractive of a city KC becomes in attracting more people to the metro area. It's just like Nashville, not that many people live downtown, but create a vibrant core and it attracts people into the community. Suburbia just doesn't have the vibrancy that you get in city centers.
And the irony is that NKC Chiefs would get so much more visibility in downtown than the Jackson County TSC complex, and we’d get them to help pay for it…and we’d get the streetcar up there. It’s such a no brainer but we can’t do it just because tradition or something.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCFan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:28 am Clay County actually passed the zoo sales tax along with Jackson so it's not unheard of that other counties could work together for a community benefit.

I just don't see Clark Hunt ever putting the Chiefs in a covered stadium. I'd love to have a final four or super bowl in KC, but don't think that will happen in the next 25-50 years.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:35 am

And the irony is that NKC Chiefs would get so much more visibility in downtown than the Jackson County TSC complex, and we’d get them to help pay for it…and we’d get the streetcar up there. It’s such a no brainer but we can’t do it just because tradition or something.
Chiefs fans care bout tradition. It's not just ownership. I think we are more similar to Buffalo than most other football cities and the fact they are building a brand new open-air stadium in a very cold climate speaks a lot to what their fans consider Buffalo Bills football.

I've been a season ticket holder for longer than I can remember and bundling up, still showing up when the weather is terrible is part of it! I would be very sad to ever go to a home chiefs game in a stadium with a roof.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

To hard core fans the horrible weather is part of it, and Chiefs at present have no trouble selling out in spite of it. But the eighties Chiefs will be back some day and climate control or lack of it could make the difference between a full stadium and a half empty one.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:12 pm To hard core fans the horrible weather is part of it, and Chiefs at present have no trouble selling out in spite of it. But the eighties Chiefs will be back some day and climate control or lack of it could make the difference between a full stadium and a half empty one.
Maybe but they've been in the top 5 in terms of tickets sold for home games and averaged more than 90% sold for the last 20+ years.

I can't sit here and say I would give up my season tickets if they played in a covered stadium but I can tell you as someone who has been to many away games, I've yet to enjoy one indoors. It just feels odd.

I have not been to Minnesota yet and I've been told that's a game changer.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

Never going to understand people wanting a dome just for the fact that MAYBE we MIGHT get a Super Bowl once every 20 years.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

It’s about the events business
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bhedges1987 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:01 pm Never going to understand people wanting a dome just for the fact that MAYBE we MIGHT get a Super Bowl once every 20 years.
I appreciate the aspiration to bring large-scale events to our city, similar to what enclosed stadiums in other cities have. However, in my view, the infrequent mega-events might not justify the significant alteration of a longstanding and cherished aspect of Chiefs football. I might be a bit biased because I have a deep affection for Arrowhead Stadium.

Also, Arrowhead does really well in the event space as is but I will admit that stadiums like At&t in Dallas make just as much if not more revenue outside of Cowboys games. I don't think we could compete with them just because it's Dallas Vs Kansas City.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Chiefs fans care bout tradition. It's not just ownership. I think we are more similar to Buffalo than most other football cities and the fact they are building a brand new open-air stadium in a very cold climate speaks a lot to what their fans consider Buffalo Bills football."

Can you imagine the Packers building and playing in a dome stadium?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:25 pm "Chiefs fans care bout tradition. It's not just ownership. I think we are more similar to Buffalo than most other football cities and the fact they are building a brand new open-air stadium in a very cold climate speaks a lot to what their fans consider Buffalo Bills football."

Can you imagine the Packers building and playing in a dome stadium?
I can not! There's really only 3 cities that come to mind that cherish this cold weather tradition- KC, Green Bay and Buffalo.