Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by alejandro46 »

Google AI provided the below when I searched for "Historic Gas Plant District." Honestly really good detail and explanation.
The Historic Gas Plant District was an African-American neighborhood in St. Petersburg, Florida. It was the second African-American neighborhood in the city. The neighborhood was located along Ninth Street South and south of First Avenue South.
The neighborhood was dismantled in the 1970s when the interstate was built through it. In the late 1980s, the city displaced the neighborhood to make way for the construction of the Tropicana Field stadium.
The Historic Gas Plant District is 86 acres of publicly-owned land in the middle of St. Petersburg. The city of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, the Tampa Bay Rays, and Hines Development team have agreed to move forward with a new state-of-the-art ballpark.
Tropicana Field is scheduled to be demolished in 2028. Developers will reestablish the street grid west of Booker Creek, including east-west bridges across the creek. This process is expected to take 18 months.

The $600M public subsidy is coming from part of the city hotel bed tax that is mostly used for beach upkeep apparently. More info and statements pro/against linked below:
"How St. Pete and Pinellas County will fund plans for new Rays stadium"
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/inves ... 9b02d905b8

Also, to clarify, the $1.2M is just for the ballpark. The city estimates that the total investment in the district 'could' reach $6bln but I'd be curious to see that how that math maths. $50m in community benefits, neighborhood input included, etc.
https://www.stpete.org/residents/curren ... d_site.php

[Also freeways destroyed our cities, grossly harmed low-income and minority communities, and created massive challenges we still deal with today]
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The campaign to get the Royals to move to North Kansas City has shut down their website. The East Village announcement is inevitable at this point.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's get moving and focus now!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Last year they did their press conference in early November. Wonder if that will be the same timeframe for this one.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

agreed, now is the time to build the focus and start generating positive PR. Announcing EV is the spot will help the other dominos be put in place to be knocked down as we progress to the new ballpark opening there.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I know some key downtown stakeholders are meeting with team ownership next week which is a clear indication EV is a go.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

EV is the preferred location, and things seem to be moving forward now after the public outcry and gifting of land resulted in a serious NKC proposal. If both didn't occur the EV would have been passed on.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Let's face it the sun has risen and is setting on a downtown ballpark in K.C. Twenty-five years ago -- maybe. They could have put it sort of where Crossroads is now. Still would have been parking problems, but at least the site is central in the City Market to Crown Center to Plaza corridor. The site that was there is now (happily) long gone.
Plus 25 years ago a downtown site still had some buzz, not artificial hype and gaslighting. Now downtown baseball is simply not visionary. It is Cowtown copy-cat.
If Sherm would only get his head out of downtown, he would see the value of the present Truman Complex site. The access alone is unsurpassed. A while back someone on this very Facebook page mentioned development of Truman Complex site and vicinity. If making money from shops, restaurants, bars etc. etc. is the goal, the present site has real possibilities -- and parking. Dream about what could be done on that giant footprint that is the Truman Sports Complex and the surrounding area. All roads lead to it.
On this page, let's offer the Royals' owners a bit of visionary assistance. We keep Kauffman and Arrowhead. We build on the site and environs an entertainment district for fans before and after game, all with zero parking problems or other getting-there angst.
Here is my contribution -- a giant ferris wheel just NW of stadium. This will satisfy the burning need of anyone who goes to a ballgame to see the downtown skyline. And, on the 4th of July, you can see fireworks 360° around. [I know they are building one at Pennway Place off of I-35. Meh. From the Kauffman one, you will be able to see that one.]
Sherm and crew, look outside of your downtown tunnel vision, you will then see the classic, historic ballpark and superior site, you already have. Why bulldoze that masterpiece of sports architecture?
The downtown idea is sooooo 2000. The Truman Sports Complex could blend Royals history with the 21st century. Wake up and smell the newly mown outfield grass at Kauffman Stadium.
Stumbled upon this gem in the “Save the K” Facebook group. If anyone was wondering why KC has shot themselves in the foot so many times in the past half century, look no further than the half brained folks gracing that group. I honestly don’t even know how you’d communicate to people who have this little a grasp on reality of development. It’s wild.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:09 am
Let's face it the sun has risen and is setting on a downtown ballpark in K.C. Twenty-five years ago -- maybe. They could have put it sort of where Crossroads is now. Still would have been parking problems, but at least the site is central in the City Market to Crown Center to Plaza corridor. The site that was there is now (happily) long gone.
Plus 25 years ago a downtown site still had some buzz, not artificial hype and gaslighting. Now downtown baseball is simply not visionary. It is Cowtown copy-cat.
If Sherm would only get his head out of downtown, he would see the value of the present Truman Complex site. The access alone is unsurpassed. A while back someone on this very Facebook page mentioned development of Truman Complex site and vicinity. If making money from shops, restaurants, bars etc. etc. is the goal, the present site has real possibilities -- and parking. Dream about what could be done on that giant footprint that is the Truman Sports Complex and the surrounding area. All roads lead to it.
On this page, let's offer the Royals' owners a bit of visionary assistance. We keep Kauffman and Arrowhead. We build on the site and environs an entertainment district for fans before and after game, all with zero parking problems or other getting-there angst.
Here is my contribution -- a giant ferris wheel just NW of stadium. This will satisfy the burning need of anyone who goes to a ballgame to see the downtown skyline. And, on the 4th of July, you can see fireworks 360° around. [I know they are building one at Pennway Place off of I-35. Meh. From the Kauffman one, you will be able to see that one.]
Sherm and crew, look outside of your downtown tunnel vision, you will then see the classic, historic ballpark and superior site, you already have. Why bulldoze that masterpiece of sports architecture?
The downtown idea is sooooo 2000. The Truman Sports Complex could blend Royals history with the 21st century. Wake up and smell the newly mown outfield grass at Kauffman Stadium.
Stumbled upon this gem in the “Save the K” Facebook group. If anyone was wondering why KC has shot themselves in the foot so many times in the past half century, look no further than the half brained folks gracing that group. I honestly don’t even know how you’d communicate to people who have this little a grasp on reality of development. It’s wild.
One of the the half brained people on that group is a former KC Councilwoman. To paraphrase her: " KC never did anything for the suburban areas and the city has always tried to subdue suburban growth. It's always been about downtown." Not sure what she is talking about. KC has a history of ignoring its urban core; perhaps not to strengthen the suburbs but rather out of expedience. TSC is a premier example. The Cerner deal, on the other hand, was absolutely an attempt to bolster the Bannister Mall area (and a failed attempt with possibly dire consequences).

The founder of that site lives in Johnson County and a large number of people don't even live in the KC area. I had to quit reading because there are so many misleading statements to outright lies on the site and the ignorance is depressing.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Going to be funny watching them realize in a few weeks that their little suburban plan wasn't even in the cards. I haven't seen the Royals mention a single thing about staying since they started the whole NKC thing. Might have actually worked out well as a distraction in the end like some discussed.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Suburban growth is among the most heavily subsidized types of growth there is, and over time produces the least amount of revenue per square mile.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:34 pm EV is the preferred location, and things seem to be moving forward now after the public outcry and gifting of land resulted in a serious NKC proposal. If both didn't occur the EV would have been passed on.
Lol
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The Star is reporting today that the Royals are preliminary talks with Jackson Co. twice a week now to hammer out the details for the lease. County hired a law firm to represent them in the negotiations. Deadline for ballot is January.

Which means yes, they've basically chosen East Village as the site.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I'm seeing some people online claiming they've heard the NKC site is a done deal. Normally I would ignore this but the few people who I've seen say this are somewhat well connected.

I hope they're wrong or have old information.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

They're negotiating right now with Jackson Co. NKC has no clue how to fund it. They've got no deal in place at all with NKC. If it is anything, it's prob just more leaks to cause fear.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:00 pm They're negotiating right now with Jackson Co. NKC has no clue how to fund it. They've got no deal in place at all with NKC. If it is anything, it's prob just more leaks to cause fear.
Unless the NKC deal is going to be fully funded by private money, which I just don't see being realistic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Have people here thought about what they would do if they do announce NKC as the site? I know I'm not sure what I would do, other than just go along with it since there is not much else to do.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:17 pm Have people here thought about what they would do if they do announce NKC as the site? I know I'm not sure what I would do, other than just go along with it since there is not much else to do.
Tears, rage, sadness.

In that order.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:03 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:17 pm Have people here thought about what they would do if they do announce NKC as the site? I know I'm not sure what I would do, other than just go along with it since there is not much else to do.
Tears, rage, sadness.

In that order.
Perpetual rage was going to be my option, but the trifecta is really how it’ll go.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I would be excited with either option. As long as the ballpark moves into the city, I'm pretty neutral. They've already passed on building it at the correct place to put the park, which is 18th and Paseo, and I don't think NKC is any less interesting than the east side of downtown.