Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by msmith011 »

Awesome news.

Even though the retailer mix at Highland Park Village is above and beyond what the Plaza will ever be, the fact is, they know how to run a historic, open air center with local and national/global offerings that are tailored to the community--and they do it exceptionally well. And, there's a KC tie which is a bonus.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:35 amThis is good news
Agree, very good news, deep pockets and high-end retail connections. Hoping for smooth due diligence and then we learn more soon.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This is good news. It will be fantastic news if these people are open to residential and pedestrian street concepts as well…
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:52 am This is good news. It will be fantastic news if these people are open to residential and pedestrian street concepts as well…
I hope it's good news. The present ownership group seems woefully inadequate for the task and are too cash poor to make improvements. I hope the prospective new owners can purchase it at a price that doesn't negatively impact their ability to make the Plaza profitable and undergo improvements. The price the current owners paid really hamstrung their efforts.

I took a quick look at HP Village on the Google Maps. It's not that big and it's got a definitely different vibe from the Plaza being surrounded almost exclusively by single family housing. No high rise residential, high rise office and city parks along its borders and no internal through streets. It will interesting to see how the new owners (if a deal goes through) adapts.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The Star is reporting the deal is basically happening and will close by years end
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I’m not sure a handful of HNWI is any better capitalized vs major real estate firms
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

grovester wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:23 am Would they be more likely to want more residential?
or a drug store like everyone have is asking for?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

"I think this is probably one of the most exciting developments on the Country Club Plaza in the last 25 years" said Mayor Quinton Lucas to the KC Star this morning
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Highlander wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 am ...
I hope it's good news. The present ownership group seems woefully inadequate for the task and are too cash poor to make improvements. I hope the prospective new owners can purchase it at a price that doesn't negatively impact their ability to make the Plaza profitable and undergo improvements. The price the current owners paid really hamstrung their efforts.
From the CityScene article:
It’s unknown how much the potential new owner has offered to purchase the Country Club Plaza.

“Word on the street is they have a substantial discount to buy it,” a source said.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would love to know how much debt they're taking on, along with other liabilities.

The zoning restrictions continue to hurt the plaza.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Did the issues with younger people causing problems ever get resolved? I didn’t hear much about that this summer.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:50 pm Did the issues with younger people causing problems ever get resolved? I didn’t hear much about that this summer.
other than Shake Shack? nothing there to attract kids since the theater closed and most the stores close by 8
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Hoping the new owner do invest in the district's historic buildings and build some high-quality new development on the old Cinemark site and possibly replace the underground parking behind Classic Cup with a new building. If they spend enough, they could get architects to design some buildings that could really contribute to the area's unique aesthetic. If they list the historic core of the plaza on the National Register, they may be able to get some funds to help with restoration.

I think it would be great to have a couple blocks of 'high end' retail around Broadway and Nichols, with more accessible retail in the other areas of the Plaza. It can function as both a destination-retail center and a neighborhood-hub. They don't have to choose one or the other. Just get rid of Forever 21 and other really low-end stores that might attract the 'wrong' crowd.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

ericwyner wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:32 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:50 pm Did the issues with younger people causing problems ever get resolved? I didn’t hear much about that this summer.
other than Shake Shack? nothing there to attract kids since the theater closed and most the stores close by 8
Well I believe it has to do more with wandering packs of teens just running around on the streets causing trouble. They were not there to spend any money and utilize any tenant services. It was simply a place to go for them and interact with other teens who were there. Kind of like dropping kids off at the mall back in the day except these kids were not buying anything at all just wanted a place to go. Unfortunately they had nothing to do, no real security to dissuade them from acting up and it got out of hand several times. No real solution beyond improving security to kind of hassle them out and somehow provide activities or places to go that are appropriate for them, supervised, and safe. But KC has been dealing with that problem for decades now so I do not expect a quick solution.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Midtownkid wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:17 am Hoping the new owner do invest in the district's historic buildings and build some high-quality new development on the old Cinemark site and possibly replace the underground parking behind Classic Cup with a new building. If they spend enough, they could get architects to design some buildings that could really contribute to the area's unique aesthetic. If they list the historic core of the plaza on the National Register, they may be able to get some funds to help with restoration.

I think it would be great to have a couple blocks of 'high end' retail around Broadway and Nichols, with more accessible retail in the other areas of the Plaza. It can function as both a destination-retail center and a neighborhood-hub. They don't have to choose one or the other. Just get rid of Forever 21 and other really low-end stores that might attract the 'wrong' crowd.
Agreed that the return of high end retail, boutiques, dining, and adult entertainment is what they need. Less "teen centric retailers" more adult stores which it used to have and was known for. I also agree that more residents are needed to make it a high end neighborhood that also happens to provide sophisticated dining, entertainment, and retailers. Make it a destination again, a jewel in the crown of KC as it once was. I really like the pedestrian mall ideas and I think that will do a lot and return it to more of a high end retail/dining/entertainment area again. Honestly when the Plaza does that, puts on a destination event, Art Fair, Christmas lights, etc. that is when it is at its best
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Adult stores and adult entertainment would give the Plaza a different vibe.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I can see the pedestrian mall idea being great...but if it's not patrolled correctly, I could see it creating new issues. It may attract a lot of people who just kind of loiter and sit on benches or whatever they would put in the former street. Closing the street would creates more unobstructed space for groups of teens and/or homeless to just hanging out...and possibly less eyes on that block.

But that shouldn't stop it. It just needs to be planned correctly.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The pedestrian mall concept is a must-have.

Curious to see how the Plaza is after the new streetcar opens.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:23 am Adult stores and adult entertainment would give the Plaza a different vibe.
Cirilla's and Bazookas!!
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

kcjak wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:45 am
shinatoo wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:23 am Adult stores and adult entertainment would give the Plaza a different vibe.
Cirilla's and Bazookas!!
Would go nicely next to the Plaza’s new escape room. Lol. Holy crap, the new ownership can’t get here soon enough.