OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by KC_Ari »

neurosyphilis wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:13 pm Good people of Kansas City:

On behalf of the development team I would like to apologize for the prior proposal of a 900' Ferris wheel. We have heard your voices and your feedback is important to us. The small size was insulting and did not offer adequate views or sufficiently contribute to downtown's vibrant skyline. We look forward to hearing the community's thoughts on our newest proposal.

Not a bad idea! We can become the epicenter of the first space eleva... wheel!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:09 pm I wonder if one like that is even possible.
Tallest in world is taller then that at 820'
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:15 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:45 amNo banks?
Jesus what’s your deal? I promise you if a bank hits up Vince Bryant to lease any space he has, he’s taking it but nah, the star building project is without a single tenant after 5 years but CoRDiSH SuCKS!
Vince actually has a bank tenant at Grand Place. They split the parcel off, but it's part of the development.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:55 pm
Jesus what’s your deal? I promise you if a bank hits up Vince Bryant to lease any space he has, he’s taking it but nah, the star building project is without a single tenant after 5 years but CoRDiSH SuCKS!
Vince actually has a bank tenant at Grand Place. They split the parcel off, but it's part of the development.
Bank was his third tenant. I’ve heard rumors of a fourth
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No, Kansas City’s new Ferris wheel didn’t get tax breaks — but the development around it might

When KCUR posted photos of the progress on the Ferris wheel, community members overwhelmingly thought the district was taking tax dollars away from public services.

“I would really just prefer funded public education, safe drivable roads, and a public water system that’s not crumbling,” one Instagram user commented. “No ac in our schools, nowhere affordable to live and we are subsidizing roundabouts for zillionaires and buying literal toys,” another wrote.

As it turns out, no tax dollars went to constructing the Ferris wheel. The KC Wheel is owned and operated separately from the Pennway Point entertainment district and will remain privately funded, Icon Experience told KCUR.

The developer for Pennway Point, 3D Development, has so far not taken any tax breaks from the city but says it plans to.
“When people read about things, there are certainly negative questions: ‘Well, is the city doing this instead of affordable housing?’ The answer is just a resounding no,” Bryant said. “The city is not incenting this and not taking money away from affordable housing projects and others.”
https://www.kcur.org/news/2023-09-21/ka ... nway-point
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:55 pm
I stand corrected. I noticed the new construction on the former parking lot but it appears the actual old star building was still empty.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

It was already lit up tonight and looked pretty good. Almost all of the pods are attached as well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I was recently in Melbourne and noticed their wheel was closed. Interesting story about it, but most just didn't like the location I guess. It's nearly 400' tall, but still doesn't have a great view of the city.

View from it when it was opened. (Melbourne has a much larger skyline now).

KC should buy this and move it to Washington Sq Park lol.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 5b9at.html
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

bspecht wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:03 pm Very fresh "satellite" data from Jackson County in the parcel viewer: https://jcgis.jacksongov.org/parcelviewer/

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The size of the wheel looks great in this photo.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:04 pm The size of the wheel looks great in this photo.

KC is the shining city on the hill whose best days still lie ahead.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:41 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:04 pm The size of the wheel looks great in this photo.

KC is the shining city on the hill whose best days still lie ahead.
I'm still buzzed ever since I went the south loop cap community meeting last week. I just really think that one will take us to the next level. It just looks soooo good and in perfect spot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

should have put it on the roof of Bartle :D
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

Anyone know where this picture was taken from? Thanks I’m advance
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bhedges1987 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:53 pm

Anyone know where this picture was taken from? Thanks I’m advance
Believe it was a drone shot, but not sure of location.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looks like it could be from KUMed. DSLR camera with a zoom lens. Drone wouldn't surprise me either, but to get that type of shot, the drone would need an optical zoom lens. That's why I lean towards DSLR.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

My bet is Coleman Heights. Maybe here with a good camera?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/soJGoZyB4xAUrFBu8?g_st=ic
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:11 pm Looks like it could be from KUMed. DSLR camera with a zoom lens. Drone wouldn't surprise me either, but to get that type of shot, the drone would need an optical zoom lens. That's why I lean towards DSLR.
Confirmed it was a djiglobal Mavic 3 drone with a telephoto lens.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Saw this on Reddit. The height seems fine with the scale of the city and location. It's small, but anything larger would probably look too big.

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I would put that stretch of I-35 on the top of my removal/relocation list ahead of either the north or south loop. It's just hideous and devisive.