TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:51 pm
Highlander wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:49 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:18 pm

This. I want it downtown because, I just want it downtown. But it actually might be better for downtown for it to be in NKC. I know that doesn't make sense.
I want it downtown because I want a reason to go downtown. I don't want to go downtown, have a beer or dinner and then get back into a car (because there will be no walking option) and drive to NKC and watch a game. It's not all that different than driving to downtown for dinner and driving to TSC. The NKC just doesn't make sense to me. It's a drive to only option. If the stadium is downtown, anyone who lives around the Plaza or midtown or Westport has the option of taking the streetcar downtown and going to a game.
If it goes to NKC, then a streetcar or LRT route to the stadium needs to happen very soon after the stadium opens. I think LRT to KCI will make a lot more sense and northland voters would support it if the stadium were in NKC.

I know rail to the north would also work if the stadium were downtown, but I do think it would happen much faster if the stadium were in NKC.
Grid, you and I both know it won't happen even if they went to NKC. Now, a line down 12th could maybe happen if it goes EV.

But alas, as we all know, it's for sure going to NKC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:48 am I believe if the vote fails in Jackson they'll for sure go to Clay, but after 20 years of downtown development & streetcar line right there it just wouldn't make any sense for Sherman to not take the land next to all *that*.

I atleast think downtown will get the first shot at it.
Downtown already got the first shot at it. The folks on the other side of the isle dicked around so much that it's not happening. Sorry. This isn't a Three Light repeat. The developer is ready to start shoveling and has been. There was a decent amount of thought put into doing this thing completely privately, and the folks on the other side of the isle (again) shit on that. So, nobody's waiting for a vote to fail in Jackson County, let alone for one to get on the ballot. Just to be at square one again. Years later. It's a non-starter. The conversations needed have happened over the last several years, and everyone decided to get crazy and take the org for granted. We'll go where we're wanted. Anyone else stepping up? OP? JC? *Crickets* Yup. Bye.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:03 pm Also I don't think we're discussing enough the very realistic possibility that this vote fails in Clay and the aftermath of what will happen with that
And there is a very realistic possibility that the vote fails in Jackson County.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

One thing to consider. NKC is a completely different project than EV. They would be moving from one industrial area to another. Not any closer to a population center, very few if any existing residential that’s walkable and no walkable existing hotels. No existing parking to handle the crowds.

So NKC is a long term development where they have to build it all. That’s going to take time and won’t directly impact their bottom line for a decade or more.

EV capitalizes on all the development that’s already taken place downtown and puts a stadium close to 36,000 residents. Many of which are within walking distance. Proximity to the convention center hotel and dozens of other hotels. Downtown KC is already on the map as a place on the rise and that only helps to find office tenants. EV location starts seeing the positive impact to the bottom line on opening day.

I also think there have been too many behind the scenes conversations over the last 5 years about EV for it to go away this easily. We’ve been told he wants downtown Baseball. NKC isn’t it. That’s not what his vision was for the franchise.

I think the important people involved on the EV location are tight lipped but it’s being handled.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

EV has just as much possibility as NKC. Until the official announcement comes down, everything is just speculation.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:11 am I think the important people involved on the EV location are tight lipped but it’s being handled.
I've been thinking about this. If they were loud and obnoxious like the NKC campaign, the narrative would be "oh wow they must be in big trouble if they're having to campaign this hard after all this time still!" If they're quiet (like now) then it's "oh wow, they're letting NKC campaign unopposed, they're getting killed!"

I think they know they're fine and they're just waiting.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Royals just released a statement saying they won’t have their stadium decided by end of month like promised — also they and the Chiefs are still expecting a vote in April 2024?

https://x.com/royals/status/17045107866 ... RPpXS0iFBA
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I had high hopes for John Sherman but he's got me missing "I'm going to cash out on the revenue sharing platform" Glass family because at least they told you straight up that you weren't getting what you want.

They leave this for too long, even the Chiefs can't save them. This is crazy stuff, I know the county has a lot of blame to share but woof.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am I had high hopes for John Sherman but he's got me missing "I'm going to cash out on the revenue sharing platform" Glass family because at least they told you straight up that you weren't getting what you want.

They leave this for too long, even the Chiefs can't save them. This is crazy stuff, I know the county has a lot of blame to share but woof.
My thought was maybe Jackson Co finally started negotiating with them in good faith and so now they're having to delay to get it done. They are still saying April vote so timeline overall is the same.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:41 am
TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am I had high hopes for John Sherman but he's got me missing "I'm going to cash out on the revenue sharing platform" Glass family because at least they told you straight up that you weren't getting what you want.

My thought was maybe Jackson Co finally started negotiating with them in good faith and so now they're having to delay to get it done. They are still saying April vote so timeline overall is the same.
Yeah seems like what is happening.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if Rays stadium announcement and the Brewers stadium upgrade funding have something to do with the delay.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

They are getting read to spend 1.5 billion on the Baltimore stadium complex as well. I'm not sure if this is part of that money, but they also plan to develop most of the parking lots around the stadiums into a entertainment and residential district.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:41 am
My take is the Royals put the cart before the horse. Is the county blameless? Of course not but the team knew it needed approval by the county to move from the sports complex before the end of the contract terms. That deal with the county needed to be dealt with first when the team made the decision to move and expected the county would have a tax vote to support the move.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Another reason a downtown stadium works best.

viewtopic.php?t=12306

Royals Stadium was opened in 1973. At the earliest, it would be replaced in 2026? That's a 53 year lifespan. A lot can happen in 53 years. The problems discussed in the referenced forum will be back and most likely in the next 20-25 years as the US shale oil boom is already showing signs of running out of steam. Best to plan generational stadiums for the future and not the present.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:02 pm Best to plan generational stadiums for the future and not the present.
LOL. They'll be disappearing dissidents underneath the turf at stadia within the decade.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Is it just me or are the people that don't want to leave Kuaffman (or pay for a new stadium) actually gaining traction? I think most of social media has gone from 75% against to more like 90% against. Or maybe the people that do support a new stadium have given up arguing.

Either way, the Royals are seriously dropping the ball. They should be using this time to educate people on the reasons WHY a new stadium is needed. Because NOBODY is educated about the the many reasons a new stadium is needed.

I don't see this passing if they just throw something on the ballet without educating people on the reasons KC needs to walk away from Kauffman even if tied to the Chiefs.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The vote is April. There is plenty of time for education. I haven't talked to one person who doesn't want a downtown stadium. Also they all have thought the NKC plan is dumb and full of logistical problems.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I don’t think I can trust any social media assessment since the airport vote happened. Online it felt it was going to be so close, but when it came to a vote, the new terminal won by a landslide right?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Also, most every SM post regarding the Royals is maybe 250-300 comments at the most. In a metro area of 2.4 mm and a county of over 700,000, that is hardly a reasonable sample size, more is it reflective of the average opinion. It’s reflecting the most pissed off and vocal about it.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:12 pm Is it just me
It's just you. Everyone is just resigned to it happening at this point. People gave up the fight.