OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by im2kull »

Solar is still one of the worst performing renewables and a pretty wasteful investment. It's just trendy at the moment. Wind has made enormous gains and is in all likelihood the future, beyond nuclear power.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

im2kull wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 pm Solar is still one of the worst performing renewables and a pretty wasteful investment. It's just trendy at the moment. Wind has made enormous gains and is in all likelihood the future, beyond nuclear power.
windmills and airports do not get along well.

If 80' apartments downtown are a no, windturbines at an airport are a hell no

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

im2kull wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 pm Solar is still one of the worst performing renewables and a pretty wasteful investment. It's just trendy at the moment. Wind has made enormous gains and is in all likelihood the future, beyond nuclear power.
Let's be honest, no renewables can touch dirty energy. You're essentially "burning" rocks by digging up a mountain or drilling a hole in the ground and letting pressure push it to the surface. Solar and wind can lose almost half of their energy (power line loss) just in the transportation from where the resource is available to where it's needed and it has to be used right away or stored in a very expensive way. The only real way to cut energy usage is to use less and Americans will just not go for it. They will complain about automatic lights or driving less or zero package purchasing or power conservation during peak hours. Of course, government regulation doesn't really help either. They put limits on power usage but this just causes more complex appliances that die sooner so we have more dishwashers and refrigerators in the landfill.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:45 pm
Let's be honest, no renewables can touch dirty energy. You're essentially "burning" rocks by digging up a mountain or drilling a hole in the ground and letting pressure push it to the surface. Solar and wind can lose almost half of their energy (power line loss) just in the transportation from where the resource is available to where it's needed and it has to be used right away or stored in a very expensive way. The only real way to cut energy usage is to use less and Americans will just not go for it. They will complain about automatic lights or driving less or zero package purchasing or power conservation during peak hours. Of course, government regulation doesn't really help either. They put limits on power usage but this just causes more complex appliances that die sooner so we have more dishwashers and refrigerators in the landfill.
Let's be ACTUALLY honest. Wind and Solar is now just as cheap as coal and has been competitive for awhile and the technology is getting better every year. You can also put solar panels on any building so there is no line loss as you are producing the energy where it's being used, not miles away like traditional power plants. You can also say government regulation doesn't help but KCMO is going to the 2021 energy code in a few weeks and it's going to massively increase the amount of insulation in new buildings which when factored over 100s of new homes/apt units every year, will add up to significate energy usage reduction.

Yes, you still have to deal with the duck curve with battery storage or other energy sources but your post is just absurd.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

dnweava wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:53 am Let's be ACTUALLY honest. Wind and Solar is now just as cheap as coal and has been competitive for awhile and the technology is getting better every year. You can also put solar panels on any building so there is no line loss as you are producing the energy where it's being used, not miles away like traditional power plants. You can also say government regulation doesn't help but KCMO is going to the 2021 energy code in a few weeks and it's going to massively increase the amount of insulation in new buildings which when factored over 100s of new homes/apt units every year, will add up to significate energy usage reduction.

Yes, you still have to deal with the duck curve with battery storage or other energy sources but your post is just absurd.
Solar on your house is much more expensive than getting power through an electrical line and would only make sense on a large project with a massive government subsidy. And no one is putting wind turbines in their Brookside house so line loss is a very big issue. Sure, batteries are getting better and renewables are getting cheaper (really all other power is getting more expensive to meet it) but it’s still very far away without a check from papa government. Coal is cheap. Dirty but cheap. Just the current state of things.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The sun belt needs more nuclear reactors. But the lead time is enormous. You cannot meet the base summer load (air conditioning) without the big underlying plants -- currently coal and nuclear.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:31 am
dnweava wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:53 am Let's be ACTUALLY honest. Wind and Solar is now just as cheap as coal and has been competitive for awhile and the technology is getting better every year. You can also put solar panels on any building so there is no line loss as you are producing the energy where it's being used, not miles away like traditional power plants. You can also say government regulation doesn't help but KCMO is going to the 2021 energy code in a few weeks and it's going to massively increase the amount of insulation in new buildings which when factored over 100s of new homes/apt units every year, will add up to significate energy usage reduction.

Solar on your house is much more expensive than getting power through an electrical line and would only make sense on a large project with a massive government subsidy. And no one is putting wind turbines in their Brookside house so line loss is a very big issue. Sure, batteries are getting better and renewables are getting cheaper (really all other power is getting more expensive to meet it), but it’s still very far away without a check from papa government. Coal is cheap. Dirty but cheap. Just the current state of things.
I did recently get solar and it made sense with the rebates and low-cost Solarize KC program. Battery storage makes no sense but maybe next house I will do it. I am paying cash but it was going to be like $60 mo/financed 0% interest. Hopefully offsets about 50-60% of my power bill and it will add value to the house when I sell it. I didn't get as big of a system as I could so it's not visible from the front of the house. We need to subsidize more solar to transition away from coal. Solar is a great use of land around KCI that otherwise would be just used for hay or vacant and it will lock in electricity costs for the airport for decades to come.

I need to get a Solar Roof installed if I build another house. I'm not sure if anybody in KC has one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJeSWbR6W04
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:02 am

Solar on your house is much more expensive than getting power through an electrical line and would only make sense on a large project with a massive government subsidy. And no one is putting wind turbines in their Brookside house so line loss is a very big issue. Sure, batteries are getting better and renewables are getting cheaper (really all other power is getting more expensive to meet it), but it’s still very far away without a check from papa government. Coal is cheap. Dirty but cheap. Just the current state of things.
I did recently get solar and it made sense with the rebates and low-cost Solarize KC program. Battery storage makes no sense but maybe next house I will do it. I am paying cash but it was going to be like $60 mo/financed 0% interest. Hopefully offsets about 50-60% of my power bill and it will add value to the house when I sell it. I didn't get as big of a system as I could so it's not visible from the front of the house. We need to subsidize more solar to transition away from coal. Solar is a great use of land around KCI that otherwise would be just used for hay or vacant and it will lock in electricity costs for the airport for decades to come.

I need to get a Solar Roof installed if I build another house. I'm not sure if anybody in KC has one of these.

You really think destroying and developing thousands of acres of natural habitat is an excellent use of land and a way to be a good steward for the world? 🤔🤷
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

im2kull wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:12 pm

You really think destroying and developing thousands of acres of natural habitat is an excellent use of land and a way to be a good steward for the world? 🤔🤷
The land is not "natural." It's farmland that has previously been clear-cut.

Yes, solar is a better use of this farmland than hay farming. 100000% Natural habitat? by the airport? LMAO
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:26 pm

Yes, solar is a better use of this farmland than hay farming. 100000% Natural habitat? by the airport? LMAO
You know, you should really read and research before making false statements. They're going to have to wipe out hundreds of acres of trees to make this happen. These parcels aren't all farmland. Try visiting the Northland for a change and doing some plane spotting, instead of just assuming everyone up there is a backwoods farmer. LOL.

Also, it's just ignorant to be a proponent of "Clean" energy, while ignoring the obvious destruction that something this massive will cause. You don't have to minimize it. You can admit that it's a necessary evil if you feel that way. Just as others can admit that it's ultimately a waste and abuse of the Earth. Build a few nuclear plants and all this waste would never even need to be discussed. What do you think is better for the Earth? A handful of new nuclear plants, or millions of acres of land lost to solar panels reflecting heat and energy back into our atmosphere.. further warming the Earth?

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

im2kull wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:36 pm

You know, you should really read and research before making false statements. They're going to have to wipe out hundreds of acres of trees to make this happen. These parcels aren't all farmland. Try visiting the Northland for a change and doing some plane spotting, instead of just assuming everyone up there is a backwoods farmer. LOL.

Also, it's just ignorant to be a proponent of "Clean" energy, while ignoring the obvious destruction that something this massive will cause. You don't have to minimize it. You can admit that it's a necessary evil if you feel that way. Just as others can admit that it's ultimately a waste and abuse of the Earth. Build a few nuclear plants and all this waste would never even need to be discussed. What do you think is better for the Earth? A handful of new nuclear plants, or millions of acres of land lost to solar panels reflecting heat and energy back into our atmosphere.. further warming the Earth?

I lived up north almost my entire life.

I have driven through Farley-Hampton hundreds of times. I know the back road where people do doughnuts and drag race across 435. I know the area well. This isn’t some pristine wildlife refuge. You trying to be a NIMBY for solar panels by the airport is quite the hill to die on, but I guess claim your sierra club medal or something. Also claiming to be pro nuclear is an absolute straw man. Nobody is planning on building any nuclear power plants in Missouri anytime soon. The cost per kWH can’t compete with cheap renewables.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

I'm excited about this project and love the idea of all this additional solar energy coming online. Renewables are the way to go long term and hope this project gets fully built out.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

City Scene referenced this airport ranking today. KC ranks 14th for 2023 among "large" airports. Seems low for a brand new airport. I am wondering if this ranking did not incorporate some data and/or reviews from the old KCI as the changeover didn't happen until late February.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegle ... d4v2cJrHDo
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Farms are natural. Humans don't exist supernaturally. We are just an animal like any other. Everything we do is natural, anything else is impossible.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Just had the 4th Million passenger month. In a row. I don’t know if the new terminal is the biggest factor in that, or it just conveniently opened at the start of the busy season helped us along, but it seems airlines have taken notice of the facility.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:11 pm Just had the 4th Million passenger month. In a row. I don’t know if the new terminal is the biggest factor in that, or it just conveniently opened at the start of the busy season helped us along, but it seems airlines have taken notice of the facility.
The NFL Draft and the NCAA regionals being in KC probably helped too. But those were early on, good to see sustained increase in travel through the airport.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well my son has already flown through KCI twice on flights from DCA to the west coast when he would have gone out of his way to avoid KCI prior to the new terminal.

Maybe more connections are happening there now?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

New Orleans looks to expand their new terminal not many years after it opened.
The Proposed Project would provide five additional gates by expanding the eastern end of the Main Terminal building
https://louisianapublicnotice.com/notic ... X-Saymxbps

Will basically build a Concourse D perpendicular to Concourse C, similar to the A-B relationship
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

My god the new terminal is such an upgrade. I know, everyone already knows, but finally getting to use it myself, like, holy crap. It's actually like a normal airport! Weird how much of an improvement that is, really shines a light on just how miserable the old setup was.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I love describing it to others as "finally a normal airport"