OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by beautyfromashes »

Are we sure the FAA didn’t chop down the height?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:21 pm Are we sure the FAA didn’t chop down the height?
I highly doubt they had anything to do with the chop. I believe it had everything to do with economics. The original proposal called for a ferris wheel of 20ft higher, a negligible difference to what's been built. Saving that 20ft meant less expense dedicated to the wheel. Also notice that the new-build office building that was to go at 25th and Pennway is apparently scratched from the plans (for now at least).
An entertainment district at the south end of the Broadway viaduct that would include a 170-foot Ferris wheel, neon sign museum and food is the latest downtown proposal from developer Vince Bryant.
March 16th, 2022: https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/penn ... -downtown/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:57 pm It'll be a huge success and I can't believe we're still talking about how silly it is. It's such a KC thing to do.
It's both though.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Hartzell posted that the ferris wheel is being paid for by KCPS money. He has been rightly called out in the comments for making it up. Hartzell went on to claim that these developers should have had to pay into the affordable housing fund.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I expect nothing less from him. So many of his posts are littered with half-truths and some, like this, are downright lies designed to get people angry over nothing. It's all designed to push an agenda and that comes out in his "developers should have had to pay into the affordable housing fund regardless" comments.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:15 pm Here are my pictures from today. First one is from a few weeks back showing the ferris wheel cars. Another 50ft wouldn't have made much of a difference view wise from this perspective. Another 50ft only would've made it more prominent in a few places, more so than it already will be.
Beautiful photos, but anyone else concerned about how severely that concrete is spalled and deteriorated? I'd be nervous about storing the cars under there.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:56 pm I expect nothing less from him. So many of his posts are littered with half-truths and some, like this, are downright lies designed to get people angry over nothing. It's all designed to push an agenda and that comes out in his "developers should have had to pay into the affordable housing fund regardless" comments.
While he gladly accepts money from corporations like Sporting KC to pay his bills.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Strange image. It looks like the power lines are passing through the wheel. But on closer inspection it's not. Unappealing nevertheless how close that is.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Do they plan on burying the power lines along 25th?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:19 am Do they plan on burying the power lines along 25th?
But that would ruin the "industrial" vibe and take even more money away from KCPS. ;)

I really hope they do bury those. Very ugly.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The fevered opposition to this project, as well as the flagrant misinformation campaign that seems to have been spread to everyone on KC social media at this point is mind numbingly painful. Who’s the individual or entity with a vested interest in smearing development in this city? It seems as though this is organized at this point…
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:23 pm The fevered opposition to this project, as well as the flagrant misinformation campaign that seems to have been spread to everyone on KC social media at this point is mind numbingly painful. Who’s the individual or entity with a vested interest in smearing development in this city? It seems as though this is organized at this point…
Speaking for me, no one has paid me to LOL at this project nor would they have to. It's just a weird project, everyone can see that.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:23 pm The fevered opposition to this project, as well as the flagrant misinformation campaign that seems to have been spread to everyone on KC social media at this point is mind numbingly painful. Who’s the individual or entity with a vested interest in smearing development in this city? It seems as though this is organized at this point…
The KC Tenants group isn’t helpful. Very misinformed group as a whole.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:49 am
The KC Tenants group isn’t helpful. Very misinformed group as a whole.
This isn’t the first time they have made up “facts”. Hartzell clearly made things up and when called out deflects to another bs point. This is a common strategy.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It is difficult not to laugh at the wheel. It is borderline embarrassing.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I just hope that they disassemble it when it closes in a year instead of sitting there abandoned for a decade.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Annoying that this is one of the most insignificant projects in KC but it's getting 100x more press just because of the ferris wheel. The South Loop Cap is 10x less known and is far more impactful but it doesn't have a big wheel so it doesn't matter.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I literally couldn't care less about the ferris wheel. London has the Eye, Paris has one, who cares it's just another thing. Why should people be bothered about it? It's good marketing if anything.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

the pissing contest about the wheel height & overall negativity toward the project is bizarre. The overall area & concept I think is kind of cool and should be nice for the area. Helping to create more areas helping to connect East & West with destinations. But typical reaction as always is "this sucks, how fucking stupid are developers?" Then after it's been opened for a a month or so the reluctant acceptance and even praise for it comes along.

How about we wait and see how it all pans out and see what it can bring to the table.