OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by taxi »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:36 pm Will add a splash of color.
I've been out of town for 2 weeks and just saw it yesterday, upon my return. I couldn't believe it is white. It's gonna get dirty, fast. You would think they would have painted it. Missed opportunity.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

The Base of the scout statue will be around 20 ft higher than the peak of the wheel.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

It's just a glorified advertisement for the district." Hey there's a ferris wheel over there I wonder what that's about? "
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why does the height even matter?! It's not like you're going to have a better view 50 or 100 feet higher. You're above tree level with no buildings in front of you obstructing the ideal view of downtown. Demand shouldn't be strong enough that there would be a significant line. Besides one-upmanship, I don't see the worry.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

height matters because it's a ferris wheel...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

mister816 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:50 pm height matters because it's a ferris wheel...
But, the purpose is a view of downtown, which you'll have. There really isn't much more that you will be able to see if the wheel was higher.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

It's not all about what you can see, it's about the experience. I've been on the one in Chicago, Las Vegas and NY and it's an awesome experience being hundreds of feet up to view the city... the one in New Jersey could have been half the size and you would have the same view but they still made it 300 feet for a reason
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

mister816 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:11 pm the one in New Jersey could have been half the size and you would have the same view but they still made it 300 feet for a reason
Yep, more demand. Bigger circumference, more people. Ours just won’t have the same demand. Better to have it small and full than big and empty. Anyway, it’s definitely taller than the last one we had.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Where was the last one and does anyone have any pics of it?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There have been conventional carnival Ferris wheels many times over the years for various festivals in PVP in the area around the Pioneer Mother. With the elevation there it was a great view, albeit without the luxury and security of the enclosed gondola.
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

Higher is better of course but having been on the ferris wheel that was at Boulevardia this year, I can say that even that carnival sized wheel was tall enough to offer a new and fun perspective on the city. I'm just assuming but the Boulevardia wheel was probably only half to 2/3s the size of the one at Pennway will be and was at roughly the same ground elevation, so the relative change in perspective should be even greater for the Pennway wheel. I guess what I'm saying is that the view will probably be worth it, especially for tourists.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fox 4 live cam on their news shows it well if go see one of their replays
NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

The Seattle Great Wheel is only 25 feet taller at 175 ft and it feels very tall and provides great views!!
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The hamster wheel.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

longtimelistener wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:17 pm Higher is better of course but having been on the ferris wheel that was at Boulevardia this year, I can say that even that carnival sized wheel was tall enough to offer a new and fun perspective on the city. I'm just assuming but the Boulevardia wheel was probably only half to 2/3s the size of the one at Pennway will be and was at roughly the same ground elevation, so the relative change in perspective should be even greater for the Pennway wheel. I guess what I'm saying is that the view will probably be worth it, especially for tourists.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Note the wheel oriented north-south for unobstructed view.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

moderne wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:24 pm Note the wheel oriented north-south for unobstructed view.
Those are forward facing cars, the ones on the new one will be closed cars with seating facing each other.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’ll post the drone photos soon but got pictures of the wheel and the view from the top (situated just below the top of the wheel because of the cars). The view is better than I thought it would be.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It'll be a huge success and I can't believe we're still talking about how silly it is. It's such a KC thing to do.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:29 pm I’ll post the drone photos soon but got pictures of the wheel and the view from the top (situated just below the top of the wheel because of the cars). The view is better than I thought it would be.
Here are my pictures from today. First one is from a few weeks back showing the ferris wheel cars. Another 50ft wouldn't have made much of a difference view wise from this perspective. Another 50ft only would've made it more prominent in a few places, more so than it already will be.

View from the top of the wheel. To see panoramas in full size, click on them and you should be able to zoom in on my Flickr and be able to download them to view as well.