OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:07 am Going by it tonight, it seems like it'll be a similar height to the St. Louis Union Station ferris wheel.
It will be 50’ smaller than STL version.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Oh no! We must have the Ferris wheel construction halted because the FAA thinks it could hit an airplane!
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:23 pm
dnweava wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:27 pm The cars are smaller in person than I expected.
If it's really only 150', it will be small. That's not much bigger than the tiny one at worlds of fun.
The one at World's of Fun is 60'. I agree that bigger would have been better, but comparing it to the Skyliner at WOF is very much hyperbole.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

It's not the size of the wheel that matters, it's the motion of the gondola... or something.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Edited link out
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Just eyeballing the wheel from that angle, it appears that if it were any higher, the width would be too close to the highway bridge.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

It will be a nice addition to the downtown area. I just prefer to beat St Louis at everything we can.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Could have been taller if the wheel was oriented north-south. Would have better skyline views from gondolas.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:21 pm Could have been taller if the wheel was oriented north-south. Would have better skyline views from gondolas.
I think they wanted the lights on the Ferris wheel to be part of the KC skyline view from the scout
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

moderne wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:21 pm Could have been taller if the wheel was oriented north-south. Would have better skyline views from gondolas.
?¿ you would face away from down 50% of the time whereas the current configuration gives you 100% exposure
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Only a narrow end of the car faces the loop and the view is obscured by the wheel itself. Its like looking through the bathroom window 100% when you could have the picture window 50%.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

moderne wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:03 am Only a narrow end of the car faces the loop and the view is obscured by the wheel itself. Its like looking through the bathroom window 100% when you could have the picture window 50%.
Our orientation is in line with other cities. In fact, I can’t think of one that I’ve seen not using this orientation.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Jblanco wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:53 pm https://
What are you posting here..having people sign in with their Google accounts could be expecting data from users that doesn't need to be shared. If a pic id use imgur

Please use this guide if you would like to continue sharing from Google drive which won't require people to log in

https://workspacetips.io/tips/drive/sha ... -publicly/

For now going to disable these links in posts for users data safety.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:04 pm Just eyeballing the wheel from that angle, it appears that if it were any higher, the width would be too close to the highway bridge.
That's definitely why it's this heights. It's also a good reason not to put it here.

It's pretty humourous sized
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:10 am It will be a nice addition to the downtown area. I just prefer to beat St Louis at everything we can.
Instead KC is equal to Branson Missouri!
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:30 am
Jblanco wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:53 pm https://
What are you posting here..having people sign in with their Google accounts could be expecting data from users that doesn't need to be shared. If a pic id use imgur

Please use this guide if you would like to continue sharing from Google drive which won't require people to log in

https://workspacetips.io/tips/drive/sha ... -publicly/

For now going to disable these links in posts for users data safety.
Sorry, thanks for the advice.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No worries, innocent I'm sure just out of safety for other posters.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Drove by today, the circular skeleton is up.
It's really short. It was slowing down traffic on 35 southbound.
Very underwhelming height-wise, maybe it will look better when the gondolas are attached.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Agreed. Maybe it will look better when lit up?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I noticed it coming up 35 between the Southwest and Rainbow exits.

Yes, it's smaller than most of us would like but quickly observing it, it seems that it's limited mostly due to the proximity to the highway. There's likely an easement there that prevented its diameter from being wide than it is instead of the FAA having a say. This is likely the other reason that the wheel wasn't placed next to the railroad tracks. The space between the West Penny and 35 bridges + the easement from the railroad and proximity to another building in the Penny Point development likely means that the wheel would've been even shorter. I'll know for sure once it's fully erected (likely tomorrow or Tuesday), but this is still a nice little thing to have. Will add a splash of color.

My one problem with this are the billboards that are on either side of it. They take up a lot of viewing area.