1822 Main Redevlopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 1822 Main Redevlopment

Post by kcjak »

'No one rents apartments in these new buildings' or arguments like these places are too expensive (used by opposition to new development along 39th) are laughable. It seems like the residents of the buildings to the south are pissed off that their downtown views would be impacted.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Many pointed out development might reduce their views thus reducing their own property value while also maintaining they are pro development and would support this if it was 1-2 floors and “affordable”. We all know this means you don’t support any development on the site.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The FAA thing…you’ve got to be kidding me. This is getting out of control.

I think they’ll clear it based on their ruling for Broadway project but I’m sure it’s gonna delay them months waiting for a simple okay.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

All of this failure and incompetence is why developers despise KCMO and refuse to do business here. We have absolute, incompetent and lazy morons in charge of this city at every level and department that could not get a job in the private sector. This is why they work for the city. Govt has no and is never held to any standard.

You can blame the FAA but they are just playing the same agenda game that the city has for decades. Wash my incompetent backside and I'll wash yours. It takes common sense, wisdom and integrity to actually get things done. Instead of these we get BLM street paint, pink streetcar decals and a group of idiot failures known as tenant advocates that have more drive and vision than the Mayor and City Hall.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Edit out link -kcp
Last edited by Jblanco on Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is bizarre. Is our whole downtown within the downtown airports domain? If so, close it.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

kboish wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:41 pm This is bizarre. Is our whole downtown within the downtown airports domain? If so, close it.
All of the United States is, the issue is that because the downtown airport is so close, the navigable airspace around downtown starts closer to ground level then it would away from airports.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Jblanco wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:00 pm All of this failure and incompetence is why developers despise KCMO and refuse to do business here. We have absolute, incompetent and lazy morons in charge of this city at every level and department that could not get a job in the private sector. This is why they work for the city. Govt has no and is never held to any standard.

You can blame the FAA but they are just playing the same agenda game that the city has for decades. Wash my incompetent backside and I'll wash yours. It takes common sense, wisdom and integrity to actually get things done. Instead of these we get BLM street paint, pink streetcar decals and a group of idiot failures known as tenant advocates that have more drive and vision than the Mayor and City Hall.
How is it the city's fault and what do you want the city to do instead?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:03 am Significant NIMBY testimony from residents of Hotel Monore:

- Not the Historic Character we love in the Crossroads
- No one even rents apartments in these new buildings
- Doesnt match the height of the neighoring 2 floor buildings
- Parking Concerns (too much and using the alley(instead of main street???) to access)
This is mostly driven by Hotel Monroe (have heard this specifically from them before). I've worked hard to focus my neighbors on the alley access issue, which is a very real impact that we told Copaken about a year ago and got nothing).
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:38 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:03 am Significant NIMBY testimony from residents of Hotel Monore & 1819 Baltimore:

- Parking Concerns (too much and using the alley(instead of main street???) to access)
This is mostly driven by Hotel Monroe (have heard this specifically from them before). I've worked hard to focus my neighbors on the alley access issue, which is a very real impact that we told Copaken about a year ago and got nothing).
Appreciate your attempts but testimony from 1819 Baltimore extended to scale and parking "complaints". Not just Hotel Monroe residents are true NIMBYS sad to say
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

langosta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:54 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:41 pm This is bizarre. Is our whole downtown within the downtown airports domain? If so, close it.
All of the United States is, the issue is that because the downtown airport is so close, the navigable airspace around downtown starts closer to ground level then it would away from airports.
I think the point kboish was making is that 1822 Main is South and further away than our entire downtown, so how the hell was ANYTHING built downtown without the FAA obstructing like they are now?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:40 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:38 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:03 am Significant NIMBY testimony from residents of Hotel Monore & 1819 Baltimore:

Appreciate your attempts but testimony from 1819 Baltimore extended to scale and parking "complaints". Not just Hotel Monroe residents are true NIMBYS sad to say
Oh, well. Our HOA position is focused on garage issue.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

im2kull wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:46 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:54 pm
I think the point kboish was making is that 1822 Main is South and further away than our entire downtown, so how the hell was ANYTHING built downtown without the FAA obstructing like they are now?
My map shows this special restriction area extending to abt Crown Center to the SE. The FAA rule being applied,Part 77, came into effect in 2011.

As reported by the KC Star, City Harvest is the first project that was notified of the issue.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

IIRC Hotel Monroe also complained excessively about the starter line construction. You can't please everybody an they shouldn't be given an opportunity to hold up a project for an unprotected view.
cityscenekc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cityscenekc »

City Plan Commission endorsed plan: https://cityscenekc.com/pickup-helps-pe ... ent-tower/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The design was revised a little bit more...
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Nice to see the green wall expand but wish it would go further. Can't remember if I've said this on here before, but I wish they would attache some simple wires on the blank space that allow vegetation to grow. Something like this hotel in Freiburg, Germany:

Could make it more visually interesting AND add some much needed greenspace to the Crossroads
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I think these few changes, particularly the increased brick along Main St near the ground, make this project look much better. Stamp the plans, let's get it in the ground.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:50 pm I think these few changes, particularly the increased brick along Main St near the ground, make this project look much better. Stamp the plans, let's get it in the ground.
Agreed. Just hate losing that bank facade. Oh well time to give that up
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

One more revision and they might keep the facade! /s